Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

iMac 27" crashing a lot...

• alapidis_ESO
    alapidis_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I'm also on a 27" Mac and crash 5-6 times a night. Allot in storm haven randomly or at a crafting station. Often when zoning into cyrodiil but almost always the first time I zone to a keep from base camp. Often when changing gear, zoning into an instance or such. I've yet to be able to complete Wgt because of the constant crashing. Come on zen, IC IS ALMOST OVER WITH ORCINIUM AND SOME OF US HAVENT EVEN BEEN ABLE TO DO THE CONTENT DUE TO THIS CRAPPY MAC BUILD.
  • duncan_cougarpreeb18_ESO
    can only concur. Wouldn't be so bad if crashes were the only issue though
    • frame rate drops and game stutter
    • constant "in combat" bug,
    • can't use any skill bug, error / bug report still not working properly (since don't know when)
    • memory leaks
    • skills taking 3 or more button presses to actually go off,
    • skills not working properly (pulling out of stealth for DOTs)
    • desynced attack animations
    • enemy attacks not showing up at all
    • stun immunity not being granted no matter how many break frees you try
    • weapon swap - if it works at all - takes 3++ seconds
    • drinks take even longer
    • ultimates never go off in a fight anyway
    • obstacles only showing up after you have already run into them
    • AI pathing of skills sending you right into /stuck
    • skills not firing because AI can't make up its mind although same skill using against one
    • ... the list goes on and on
    Seriously, the mac client needs some love, badly
    Edited by duncan_cougarpreeb18_ESO on October 15, 2015 9:17PM
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Greetings!

Can you please let us know what version of OSX you're using, what graphics settings you're using, and if you're playing via wifi or ethernet?

Thank you!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
    Still on OS X 10.10.5 (latest updates, patches), usually on medium settings with everything switched off (including sync)
    iMac 27" with maxed out graphic Radeon R295MX (4GB), 16 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD (not a fusion drive) over ethernet connected to cable (100 MBit)
    it's just getting worse with 10.11.1 ... at least one crash per hour ... no way to do group content area this way
    You can completely forget about going to the new arena

Great DLC, NOT.
    some consistent crashes are
    - reviving at a keep (50:50)
    - handing in quest in the new Orsinium museum (100% after traveling before)
  • flying_ace2
    flying_ace2
    ✭✭
    I have seriously been getting a crash in Cyrodiil at least once every 20 minutes, and it's crashing at least once per hour in Orsinium. This game is becoming COMPLETELY unplayable, and you would think ESO would actually care. Clearly, they don't.
    AD
    Just Chill
    Victorem (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Moonlight Crew (RIP)
    PC - NA
    El-phaba - Sorc
    Rammoth - NB
    Daenora - Temp
  • jhharvest
    jhharvest
    ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, I haven't experienced a single crash on my 10.11. I'm playing in a tiny window though, as I lost 10fps and got unplayable input lag with the patch. I suppose you could try squinting at a small window too, might help with crashes. :/
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    jhharvest wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I haven't experienced a single crash on my 10.11. I'm playing in a tiny window though, as I lost 10fps and got unplayable input lag with the patch. I suppose you could try squinting at a small window too, might help with crashes. :/

Try

forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/225749/mac-os-x-10-11-1#latest

-- ESO -- Lead Mac Programmer...
    Staff Post
  • Morozov
    Morozov
    ✭✭✭
    I have seriously been getting a crash in Cyrodiil at least once every 20 minutes, and it's crashing at least once per hour in Orsinium. This game is becoming COMPLETELY unplayable, and you would think ESO would actually care. Clearly, they don't.

can confirm. Play in the same household. Happens in Cyrodill and in PVE areas. Happens when both computers are playing at the same time or not. Thought it was the WIFI so we hardwired the 27"IMAC into the router, still resulting in crashes happening every 15min~45min. Have deleted saved variables + deleted addons/addon lua's and did fresh installs, but the consistency of crashes remains. Will attempt deleting shader.cache, playing on windowed mode etc. to see if things improve.

I did see a post on the forums (cannot find it now) about reducing the MTU's over the network adapter on PC for Oceanic players. Anyone have any luck reducing the network packets size on Mac and get decent results?

Also wondering if anyone has had luck trying Bootcamp to play ESO on Windows instead of a mac client? Not sure if the Wine version ESO uses is reliable or not. A guildie suggested Bootcamp as a workaround.

AD
    Victorem
    PC - NA - AZ
    Vr 16: Morozov - DK
    Vr 1: Zephyr Grimm - Sorc
    Vr 5: Sad_Bunnie - Templar
    23: Repressed-Canadian-Rage - NB
    Voted "Most likely to squirrel off the crown" PC-NA
  • charlesccps
    27 inch iMac, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, OS 10.10.5
    In Orsinium, when I interact with NPC’s, Crafting Stations, Open Doors, Use a Wayshrine or sometimes just wandering around, the game crashes. This happens whether I have Addons enabled or disabled. I was not crashing prior to the recent patch. Also, the bug report window in game will not open.
    I have spoken with tech support. Done everything they suggested. I even reinstalled the game. Before reinstalling the game, I was crashing in all areas. Now the problem is predominantly in Orsinium but I still have the occasional crash in other ares of the world.

• keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    27' iMac, late model 2013 3.5GHz, 1600 Mhz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4G

Prior to the 2 last Mac client crash fixes that ZOS performed, I was lagging terribly throughout IC sewers and especially in the last fight of WGT on the Molag Kena fight involving all that heavy lightning.

Since those 2 ZOS fixes AND since I updated to OS X El Capitan 10.11.1 I haven't experienced any noticeable lag or ANY crashing and I've been able to complete vetWGT without any problems.

Orsinium runs fine for me too.
    “The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • Wookyenub18_ESO
    Hello Chris; 2012 iMac 27” GTX 680MX 2GB. At your suggestion in March I reverted to Mavericks. Graphics quality still very good although not quite as good as with Yosemite, but with Mavericks crashes generally don’t happen in PvE until 4 or 5 hours of play. In Cyrodiil it will crash within 2 hours so I look for a break in the action every hour or so to do a preemptive relog. Over the months graphics and FPS continued to improve and there was another noticeable step up with Wrothgar, although there is more lag in loading textures. I always play on High Graphics, Windowed Fullscreen, VSync off. The game looks very good and movement is smooth.
  • Wookyenub18_ESO
    Hello Chris; late 2015 iMac 27" R9 M395X 4GB. OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan. High Graphics look very good on the 2012 iMac, but on the 2015 they look hugely better. It’s amazing. And Ultra Graphics are beyond belief greatly increasing the sense of depth and giving a tangible feeling of 3D even when standing still. It’s a real testament to the developers’ skill that ESO can take advantage of new h/w so well. Even on Ultra-High I don’t notice textures loading. On High my character’s movements are very smooth and 70 FPS in town, but on Ultra there is a perceptible jerkiness; am mostly in Orsinium, getting ~30 FPS. On High it crashes outdoors in Orsinium every 40 minutes or so. When I switch to Ultra it crashes in Orsinium after 5 to 10 minutes. Idk what causes this; there’s no lag in texture load. Btw/ on both Macs, in Wrothgar, NPCs mouths have never moved when they speak.
  • Wookyenub18_ESO
    @chris.dillman; On the late 2015 iMac 27" R9 M395X 4GB the load screen images are vibrant and uniformly lit. They are breathtakingly gorgeous (they must be tagged sRGB). In game, on Ultra-High esp. and also on High Graphics, colors are oversaturated to the point that even though details are crisp, the scene is dark making it hard to identify targets unless in sunlight.

All prior Mac displays were 709/sRGB. The late 2015 iMac displays have a much wider gamut: DCI/P3. It looks like the renderer is not tagging the scene sRGB and P3 is being assumed. Mistaking sRGB for P3 greatly oversaturates reds and greens. If I were to choose a different gamut in Displays Preferences it would only make things worse because this tells the OS the characteristics of the display h/w.

Please find a way to tag the scene sRGB so the late 2015 iMacs will know it's not P3. Thanks
    Edited by Wookyenub18_ESO on November 23, 2015 8:50AM
  • charlesccps
    The crashing on 27 inch iMac, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, OS 10.10.5, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB in Orsinium has gotten intolerable.
    It's a known bug.
    Tech support advises: "At this time the best recommendation I can provide would be to await for a future update to resolve the issue."
    So when can we expect this "future update to resolve the issue"?
    It's been going on for weeks. I'm a very frustrated paying subscriber.
  • charlesccps
    Hey I found a work around for the iMac crash bug. Play on my MacBook Pro. :|
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    keto3000 wrote: »
    27' iMac, late model 2013 3.5GHz, 1600 Mhz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4G

Prior to the 2 last Mac client crash fixes that ZOS performed, I was lagging terribly throughout IC sewers and especially in the last fight of WGT on the Molag Kena fight involving all that heavy lightning.

Since those 2 ZOS fixes AND since I updated to OS X El Capitan 10.11.1 I haven't experienced any noticeable lag or ANY crashing and I've been able to complete vetWGT without any problems.

Orsinium runs fine for me too.

Edited by keto3000 on November 23, 2015 10:48AM

― Louise L. Hay
  • krismissee82
    krismissee82
    ✭✭✭
    Hey I found a work around for the iMac crash bug. Play on my MacBook Pro. :|

Glad to hear this works on your MacBook Pro. I play on a MacBook Pro Mid 2015 and experience all the above issues too. Disabled all add ons, reduced settings, fresh install, etc. all to no avail. I've done everything suggested by support and nothing has fixed it. Kinda sad, really.
    Kaelindi - Stamblade
    Maelindi - Magblade
    Lindi - Magblade healer
    Lindi the Builder - Stamblade
    Lindi Stardust - Magplar
    PC NA
    9 crashes in less than 2 hours of PvP ... way to go

whatever changed, that was in the wrong direction

make that 15 in 2 1/2 h hours and counting
    Edited by duncan_cougarpreeb18_ESO on November 25, 2015 10:27PM
    in the current state there is only one word left to say: "unplayable"
  • charlesccps
    ESO support told me they have exhausted all support options for me on the crashing issue. Translation: tough #hit, deal with it.
    On the positive side, I am crashing much less in Orsinium. And Orsinium is still a crash fest but at least I can complete the writ dailies.
    So I avoid Orsinium at all costs.
    Other than Orsinium the game is running just fine.
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2015 iMac here and while Wrothgar is mostly playable, the city of Orsinium itself is one giant crashfest. It's right up there with Eldenroot, which is another city Mac users should avoid like the plague.
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    As I've reported in an earlier post, since the last 2 ZOS fixes for the Mac client AND my updated OS to El Capitan 10.11.1. I have had few issues with lag and crashing. I can also finally get through the entire 'lightning intensive' WGT & end fight w MOLAG KENA with no lag or crashing like before. Both Elden Root & Orsinium play fine for me as well. Still, I feel my fps is best when I use medium settings. Hope we get 64 bit Mac client soon so all of us can enjoy the game again on high settings the way it is intended to be played. Hang in there, I have faith that all sides are working toward that goal. Cheers.

― Louise L. Hay
    just to be absolutely sure that it's not to related to any upgrade, add-on or other unrelated issue this one did a clean install, no add-ons with default settings, but with many effects like shadow, bloom, grass etc. switched OFF.

Still crashes within minutes of PvP.
  • Atlan_daGonozal
    Atlan_daGonozal
    ✭✭✭
    ManicDee wrote: »
    Every time I crash, my next login will time out and dump me back at the login screen with some nonsense about "Unable to connect to game server. Please make sure you have a valid internet connection."

Same here. Both crashed with an iMac (Retina 5K, 27 Zoll, Ende 2015) and the strange time out on the login.

Right now i can't log in at all. But that's probably a different Problem.

I guess investing a few weeks in Bug fixes instead of Crown-Shop-Add-Ons is in order.
  • Atlan_daGonozal
    Atlan_daGonozal
    ✭✭✭
    64bit client and new OpenGL renderer are slowly being worked on.

Who is still doing 32 bit applications in 2014 (when the game was released)? That is so outdated it hurts to read.

Well after about a dozen less than helpful suggestions form the so called "support" (after that experience, this one rather believes of having been sent messages from a random response generator), here the few useful tidbits

In case of crashes do the following (not in the order it was suggested, but as this one would recommend)
    1. ensure that you got some free memory on your main drive (about the size of your memory or more should be sufficient)
      - chance of solving issue: minor
    2. make sure that it's not related to any faulty add-on (just to be on the save side) -
    3. reset the DNS cache
    4. open the following ports on your router
      TCP / UDP Ports 24100 bis 24131
      TCP / UDP Ports 24300 bis 24331
      TCP / UDP Ports 24500 bis 24507
    5. run a hardware test on your system to detect any errors there
    In the end this one only saw some improvements, the consistent crashing after using transitus in PvP or wayshrines in PvE and entering / leaving areas in Wrothgar after some time, persisted.

From the crash logs it was clear that the root cause is/are some bad memory allocation by the client.

Final words from ZOS customer support:
    Hallo,
    Vielen Dank, dass Sie das Elder Scrolls Online Supportteam kontaktiert haben.

Um eine Rückerstattung zu erhalten, müssen sie sich an den Laden wo Sie das Spiel gekauft haben melden.
    Wenn Sie das Spiel im Bethstore gekauft haben melden Sie sich an store.bethsoft.com/ zu melden.
    In English: For a refund you have to call the store where you bought the game. In case you bought it directly in the Bethstore go to store.bethsoft.com

In short: We are unable to solve your issue.
    Looks like they finally figured out that it is there problem. However, a solution will not be coming shortly if ever.
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    @duncan_cougarpreeb18_ESO

However, as I've stated above in a few previous posts, I am running an iMac 27" late model 2013 and experienced many of the issues you discussed, however, after the last 2 "mac fix" patches that ZOS applied over the past 2 months AND since I upgraded to OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan I am no longer experiencing any major issues!

Sorry you haven't had good luck on your end, but the facts prove that the problems are not necessarily universal to all macs at this time.

Still,, a 64 bit client will go along way to ensuring better game stability for all mac users.
    Edited by keto3000 on December 30, 2015 12:36PM

― Louise L. Hay
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    64bit client and new OpenGL renderer are slowly being worked on.

Who is still doing 32 bit applications in 2014 (when the game was released)? That is so outdated it hurts to read.

Ah, you know, coding on ESO didn't just start last year. The studio was founded in 2007, seven years before the release of the final product (7 years is a lot in IT), and prototyping probably started in the selfsame year. The decision to go multi-platform with the client also must have been made very early on, so they had to build a toolchain from available parts which supported their goals. If some of the tools or libraries used back then only supported 32-bit, then they were stuck with the memory model. As soon as those tools or libraries became available with support for x64, development on a new client engine was launched... And the coding of the 64-bit client that's gonna be released sometime in the next quarter didn't just start this year...