The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Make all damage shields in game scale with health.

• LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Domander wrote: »
    Brandalf wrote: »
    If I have to dodge roll 7 -8 times(which I will always have to do against competent players) I simply don't have time to deal any meaningful damage between rolls. It's clear you've never played stamina class at a high level against other high level players. All dodge does is give you that extra second or less to dodge and roll. Very different to wards plus annulment. This discussion is becoming tiresome, you clearly lack any real experience with things which you're debating. A static 100% mitigation shield based off of your main stat is a much more powerful mitigation tool than a one second PARTIAL immunity, that's an objective fact.

See what I did there.

haha, oh snap!

I agree though

Hardened ward on my sorc absorbs over 13k damage... what hits that hard? (non crit) what hits that hard and is instant like hardened ward?

You know why noone complains about any other class shield stacking? because their damage shields are balanced.

That said, I still think annulment should also scale with health, I think it should also work vs all damage.
    You're joking right? I can't even count off-hand how many abilities can eat up a 13k damage shield with one hit, and if we include light/medium attack weaving than the list will be even longer.

Kinda vague

why don't you name some of those abilities that you can't, for some reason, count.

and I dare you to name one that is instant and spammable like hardened ward

although
    One example is just a few posts before yours and it's called snipe, some of them even have CC effects! I don't want to give an incomplete list and I'm not going to be logging into the game for a while. Rest assured you will get a comprehensive list when I've got the time/feel like it. It has nothing to do with opposing views and everything to do with misinformation. I would also like to see some examples of how I've "attacked" anyone with opposing views. The devs need to know there are two sides to every argument and if someone doesn't show they disagree then this nonsense might actually happen.

[Moderator Note: Edited moderated quote]
    [Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Trolling & Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ArtG on May 4, 2015 1:39PM
    NerdSauce Gaming
    Laughs-At-Wounds - Sap tanking since 03/30/14
    ßrandalf - Light armor tanking since 03/03/15
    Brandalf Beer-Belly - Tanking drunk since 12/30/16

• Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I have to dodge roll 7 -8 times(which I will always have to do against competent players) I simply don't have time to deal any meaningful damage between rolls. It's clear you've never played stamina class at a high level against other high level players. All dodge does is give you that extra second or less to dodge and roll. Very different to wards plus annulment. This discussion is becoming tiresome, you clearly lack any real experience with things which you're debating. A static 100% mitigation shield based off of your main stat is a much more powerful mitigation tool than a one second PARTIAL immunity, that's an objective fact.

See what I did there.

haha, oh snap!

I agree though

Hardened ward on my sorc absorbs over 13k damage... what hits that hard? (non crit) what hits that hard and is instant like hardened ward?

You know why noone complains about any other class shield stacking? because their damage shields are balanced.

That said, I still think annulment should also scale with health, I think it should also work vs all damage.
    You're joking right? I can't even count off-hand how many abilities can eat up a 13k damage shield with one hit, and if we include light/medium attack weaving than the list will be even longer.

Kinda vague

why don't you name some of those abilities that you can't, for some reason, count.

although
    One example is just a few posts before yours and it's called snipe, some of them even have CC effects! I don't want to give an incomplete list and I'm not going to be logging into the game for a while. Rest assured you will get a comprehensive list when I've got the time/feel like it. It has nothing to do with opposing views and everything to do with misinformation. I would also like to see some examples of how I've "attacked" anyone with opposing views. The devs need to know there are two sides to every argument and if someone doesn't show they disagree then this nonsense might actually happen.

You can't crit against a damage shield.

snipe doesn't hit that hard without a sneak attack or crit. It's also not instant.

[Moderator Note: Edited moderated quote]
    Edited by ZOS_ArtG on May 4, 2015 1:39PM
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except dodge roll means you dodge most CC in the game, and the ones you can't, medium armor gives you more stam regenn and being a stam build gives you more base stam to CC break out.

Meanwhile, in order to use my 'OP shields' as a magicka build I still have to block, with my 9k stam.

Since your primary defense as a stam build already scales off stam, why shouldn't my primary defense as a mag build scale of mag? Instead of calling for nerfing all shields, why not call for all shields to scale off magicka? Purely rhetorical since I already know you just want to nerf sorcs.

Thank you @Teargrants for this, couldnt have said it better myself. I bolded the most logical part, imo:)

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    Except dodge roll means you dodge most CC in the game, and the ones you can't, medium armor gives you more stam regenn and being a stam build gives you more base stam to CC break out.

Meanwhile, in order to use my 'OP shields' as a magicka build I still have to block, with my 9k stam.

Since your primary defense as a stam build already scales off stam, why shouldn't my primary defense as a mag build scale of mag? Instead of calling for nerfing all shields, why not call for all shields to scale off magicka? Purely rhetorical since I already know you just want to nerf sorcs.

Thank you @Teargrants for this, couldnt have said it better myself. I bolded the most logical part, imo:)

but.... dodge roll doesn't get stronger with more stamina..

If shields worked this way... there'd be no discussion here.
    Edited by Domander on May 4, 2015 10:12AM
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The main limiting factor for dodge rolling is time you can roll, for shields their value. So yes, dodge roll becomes more effective the longer you can roll, until it's really unlimited with whatever attacks you use meanwhile.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • pkb16_ESO2
    pkb16_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    Domander you are absolutely right, but dont mess up with Sorc Lobby! You dont stand a chance.

And its funny this threat is about: Shields are not Op because rolldodge is op... NO! rolldodge is not OP because Shields are OP.
    Maybe both OP?:)
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »

The main limiting factor for dodge rolling is time you can roll, for shields their value. So yes, dodge roll becomes more effective the longer you can roll, until it's really unlimited with whatever attacks you use meanwhile.

If the limiting factor for shields, is their value, and not how often they can be cast then...There are damage shields that scale with health, which determines their value. The templar and DK class shields scale with health and cost magicka. Game balance would suggest that all shields should scale with health, with the other limiting factor being how often they can be cast.

• Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since there's so much talk about Hardened ward. I'd like to comment on it.

There are sorcs with a lot of health, there are also stam sorcs. Hardened ward scaling with health would benefit both of these.

hmm.. maybe they'll make the change when they update to make stam sorc better :)

• ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If the limiting factor for shields, is their value, and not how often they can be cast then...There are damage shields that scale with health, which determines their value. The templar and DK class shields scale with health and cost magicka. Game balance would suggest that all shields should scale with health, with the other limiting factor being how often they can be cast.

Yes, I just said that the limiting factor for shields is their value... but I do not see how "balance suggests" they should scale off max health? That would mean you increase the limiting factor of dodge rolls by increasing the resource you spend to use it, that happens to be the same resource your damage is scaling off as a stamina build.
    So it is with Hardened Ward right now, if anything, "balance suggests" that other class shields should scale off health magicka as well.

edit... ^^
    Edited by ToRelax on May 4, 2015 11:43AM

• LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I just said that the limiting factor for shields is their value... but I do not see how "balance suggests" they should scale off max health? That would mean you increase the limiting factor of dodge rolls by increasing the resource you spend to use it, that happens to be the same resource your damage is scaling off as a stamina build.
    So it is with Hardened Ward right now, if anything, "balance suggests" that other class shields should scale off health magicka as well.

edit... ^^

Indeed.

NerdSauce Gaming
    Laughs-At-Wounds - Sap tanking since 03/30/14
    ßrandalf - Light armor tanking since 03/03/15
    Brandalf Beer-Belly - Tanking drunk since 12/30/16

• pkb16_ESO2
    pkb16_ESO2
    ✭✭✭

edit... ^^

I play templar and i really believe if blazing Shield would scale of magicka it will become too strong.
    But hey i can live with that:)
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pkb16_ESO2 wrote: »

edit... ^^

I play templar and i really believe if blazing Shield would scale of magicka it will become too strong.

I totally agree that it would be insanely powerful with the current build. But I also believe it wouldn't be a problem if ZOS would solve fundamental balancing issues that effect all classes.

• Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When we finally hit shields that can absorb 1 fragment 1 crushing shock and two light attacks so about 20k dmg (which happens all the time with dodgerolls - and smart ppl use abilities in between rolls) we can talk.

Edit: Dodgeroll in itself is infinetly more potent than shields are bc it has no limit on the amount of damage you can dodge. So basically dodgerolling is already evading 100% of the dmg some builds throw at you (yeah some abilities bypass dodge - too tricky to discuss now too) while you can ability cancel your rolls and still maintain dmg. The only limiting factor to dodge is your stam reg therefor. There is no possiblity for dodgeroll to scale in any form bc it already offers 100% mitigation to abilities that do not bypass it.
    Shields are currently balanced to suffice against one opponent that knows what he´s doing while offering small windows for offensive actions. Against two (competent) people hitting you you can´t play offensive at all and will most likely die.
    Edited by Derra on May 4, 2015 1:06PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• ZOS_ArtG
    Hi, all.

We have had to remove and several comment from this thread that were violating the Code of Conduct for rude and insulting and baiting comments. Additionally, we would like to point out that we appreciate feedback from all of our players, and we ask that others do not dissuade community members from sharing their feedback.

We would like to keep this thread active as we encourage lively discussions such as these but keep in mind our Code of Conduct when posting. Thank you for understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_ArtG wrote: »
    Hi, all.

We have had to remove and several comment from this thread that were violating the Code of Conduct for rude and insulting and baiting comments. Additionally, we would like to point out that we appreciate feedback from all of our players, and we ask that others do not dissuade community members from sharing their feedback.

We would like to keep this thread active as we encourage lively discussions such as these but keep in mind our Code of Conduct when posting. Thank you for understanding.

I really should stop getting excited abotu ZOS response and hoping for actual statements...

I guess if you're signed in as ZOS staff, you don't have three buttons under a thread ("POST REPLY" "SAVE DRAFT" "PREVIEW"). You only got one: "STANDARD PVP FORUM POST". The result is the thing above ;)
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    Kasiir Aberion - Sorc (AR38)
    Dr Kastafari - Warden (~AR31)
    + many others
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

edit... ^^

The shield would hit like a truck and then you'd have 30k magicka templars with 15-20k BOLs behind those shields. At the same time, making them all scale off of health really just would favor stamina builds even moreso since they then would still be able to damage and roll while still having as good as shield as any magicka user of the same class. This is already the case with Templars at least.

Cannot keep doing the blanket fixes. The health nerf along with the 15% shield reduction for Cyrodiil were blanket fixes that actually hurt certain classes way more than the actual issues they sought to address. Shield reduction was basically to combat harness magicka and hardened ward being combined that was being complained about. Notice those are still just fine.
    Edited by technohic on May 4, 2015 2:10PM
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Itoq wrote: »
    Ezareth wrote: »
    The offensive increase from magicka is really quite negligible....the heaviest hitters focus on Spellpower/Weapon damage first, Magicka/Stamina are secondary

The offensive increase from having more magicka goes beyond simply the slight amount of damage that additional magicka adds on its own.

With more magicka comes a bigger magicka pool.

With a bigger magicka pool comes less need to commit set bonuses and enchants to magicka mangement.

With less need to commit set bonuses and enchants to magicka management comes the ability to commit more set bonuses to damage output (and/or other stuff like defensive bonuses and/or stam management.)

All of which nearly all of us know and I don't think we should pretend is not part of the issue.

Are you really freaking arguing that the benefit of a larger magicka pool is a lower need for resource management? Please tell me why I and the majority of other 1vXers out there are using drinks instead of food then?

So I have 28K Magicka and I could get probably 36K Magicka by focusing on Magicka and dropping regen. I'd lose about 1000 Magicka regen (and 500 stamina I by doing it too. My spells would hit slightly harder and my hardened ward would be slightly larger and I'd lose a spell cast every 2 seconds worth of regen and would die far quicker than with my regen build.

A lot of you guys making these comments either don't understand game mechanics very well or are looking at it from the perspective of another class that just doesn't understand anything about a Sorc. Stacking Magicka at the exclusion of all else is something a bad or a glass cannon would do.
    You can get past shields, but it requires that the player stacking them mess up. It's a matter of watching for it and then bursting.

Huh?

I wonder if you guys even realize how shields scaling off of health would impact Sorcs. I'd just switch a few thousand Magicka into Health and I would actually *Gain* shield strength since my healing ward would become much larger and my Hardened Ward would become slightly smaller. Meanwhile I'd become much more survivable from having a larger health pool and nothing else would change. I'd never run out of Magicka still and my spells would only hit for slightly less.

I think the real issue here is you guys have no understanding of game mechanics. You hear about some nerf idea from the echo chamber and it sounds clever so you repeat it ad infinitum everywhere without having a clue as to how it would impact the game, but since most sorcs oppose it you figure it must be a good thing right?

I'm tempted to make a scaling graph for people based on stat values how they actually impact abilities. It isn't nearly as much as you might think.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since dodge roll seems "meh" and hardened ward OP, let's take away Hardened ward and replace it with a dodge roll sorc skill that uses magicka. Should make everybody happy, no?
    >:)
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

edit... ^^

The shield would hit like a truck and then you'd have 30k magicka templars with 15-20k BOLs behind those shields. At the same time, making them all scale off of health really just would favor stamina builds even moreso since they then would still be able to damage and roll while still having as good as shield as any magicka user of the same class. This is already the case with Templars at least.

Cannot keep doing the blanket fixes. The health nerf along with the 15% shield reduction for Cyrodiil were blanket fixes that actually hurt certain classes way more than the actual issues they sought to address. Shield reduction was basically to combat harness magicka and hardened ward being combined that was being complained about. Notice those are still just fine.

In my understanding the shield strength reduction was to bring shields in line with the reduced healing and damage in Cyrodiil :) .
    Docmandu wrote: »
    Since dodge roll seems "meh" and hardened ward OP, let's take away Hardened ward and replace it with a dodge roll sorc skill that uses magicka. Should make everybody happy, no?

Pretty please :innocent:

• Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are sorcs with a lot of health, there are also stam sorcs. Hardened ward scaling with health would benefit both of these.

Yeah -- all seven of those guys would be thrilled ;)

Stam Sorcs need help, but there isn't a lot of support for gutting magicka builds to provide it. Stam Builds don't have the mitigation/ health issues that light armor inflicts, and they're not wholly reliant on shields or avoidance for survival. So, this comment fits right in with your "dodge rolling doesn't get better with more stamina" comment. Both statements are technically true, but they ignore the larger context.
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snit wrote: »

Yeah -- all seven of those guys would be thrilled ;)

Stam Sorcs need help, but there isn't a lot of support for gutting magicka builds to provide it. Stam Builds don't have the mitigation/ health issues that light armor inflicts, and they're not wholly reliant on shields or avoidance for survival. So, this comment fits right in with your "dodge rolling doesn't get better with more stamina" comment. Both statements are technically true, but they ignore the larger context.

No Sorcerer is "wholly reliant" on shields. Unless they are terrible, I suppose.

In what world does a Sorc just stand there recasting shields?
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda vague

why don't you name some of those abilities that you can't, for some reason, count (that hit for 10k)

although

Let me suggest another way of looking at it. The issue is not, "what one ability can I use to bring down a sorc's shield in a single hit," but "how can I bring down the shield and kill him before he has a chance to react and recast?"

That makes the issue solvable for most classes and specs. Bringing down the shield can be accomplished by stacking burst -- weaving light attacks, stacking projectiles, either Detonation morph, etc can all be used to remove the shield in one 'round,' from the target's point of view (it may be three button presses for you, but they'll all arrive more or less simultaneously).

You can also make it easy on yourself and just use CC. A sorc lying prone or feared will spend more than one GCD recombobulating.

Of course, none of these solutions are easy, "which one button can I hit to just kill them" answers.
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, none of these solutions are easy, "which one button can I hit to just kill them" answers.

Unlike dodge rolling, where you just hit your one button that can't be dodged over and over again to kill them.

Unless you're a Sorc, because Curse probably isn't going to cut it alone. : P
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varicite wrote: »

Unlike dodge rolling, where you just hit your one button that can't be dodged over and over again to kill them.

Unless you're a Sorc, because Curse probably isn't going to cut it alone. : P

Dodge Rollers are a real challenge, but they're like most others -- the degree of difficulty in fighting them depends on what's on your bar. There are things that hit them. You may not be able to kill them, but you can usually fight them to a draw.
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No Sorcerer is "wholly reliant" on shields. Unless they are terrible, I suppose.

The ones that make excellent clips for my PvP videos of course!
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The ones that make excellent clips for my PvP videos of course!

We have a word for that. I believe it's called "fodder". :P
  • cschwingeb14_ESO
    cschwingeb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've said it before, scaling hardened ward off of health would be a gigantic buff to stam sorcs (infinite dodge rolling plus a 8-10k shield? It would be ridiculous in a regen build), and not that much of a Nerf to magicka sorcs.

Also, ward ally/healing ward scale off of spell damage and magicka, just like all staff skills. Ditto for harness magicka I think
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get past shields, but it requires that the player stacking them mess up. It's a matter of watching for it and then bursting.

Huh?

I wonder if you guys even realize how shields scaling off of health would impact Sorcs. I'd just switch a few thousand Magicka into Health and I would actually *Gain* shield strength since my healing ward would become much larger and my Hardened Ward would become slightly smaller. Meanwhile I'd become much more survivable from having a larger health pool and nothing else would change. I'd never run out of Magicka still and my spells would only hit for slightly less.

I think the real issue here is you guys have no understanding of game mechanics. You hear about some nerf idea from the echo chamber and it sounds clever so you repeat it ad infinitum everywhere without having a clue as to how it would impact the game, but since most sorcs oppose it you figure it must be a good thing right?

I'm tempted to make a scaling graph for people based on stat values how they actually impact abilities. It isn't nearly as much as you might think.

Yes, if you put more into health, the shield could be larger than it is now. (for you) I think it would be great if sorcs needed extra health for more defense, like the other classes. Some sorcs (mine for instance) have 37k+ magicka.

Have you compared the sorc shield to the other 2 class based shields?

This thread is not just about sorcs though
    Edited by Domander on May 5, 2015 1:22AM
  • trimsic_ESO
    trimsic_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Docmandu wrote: »

If a dodge roll could heal me, or would allow me to deal damage while I dodge, YES !
  • ForTheRealm
    ForTheRealm
    ✭✭✭
    This would make health more of a stat you would want defensively as opposed to getting double the benefit of offense and defense from another resource pool.

choices...choices..

Here's the damage shields that should change.

brawler
    whitestrakes
    annulment
    conjured ward

Steadfast ward is a healing tool, and for the sake of balance already scales with health. It scales with missing health. A higher health pool will allow you to more easily take advantage of this scaling.

Barrier should stay scaling off highest stat, I think it should be changed to allow health to increase it's value, if that should be the highest stat. It is an ultimate after all. This is really the only exception that makes sense to me. It is technically a damage shield, but it's also an ultimate.

The other damage shields in the game scale with health, or are static.

discuss.

No.
    There is already plenty of Templar and DK tank builds in PvP which can easily mitigate a group of damage dealers. They usually have high base HP and Stamina. If you would add them a shield scaling with their health, they would be virtually immortal.