The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The Elder Scrolls Online and why it will ultimately fail

• Mablung
    Mablung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    badmojo wrote: »
    I think you see some terms and automatically assume the worst Mablung.

Negative
    Hostility
    Attack
    Confrontation

Sometimes these things can be very constructive. It all depends on the context in which they are used. Intent, as they say, is more important than the actual term used.

I could easily call this thread hostile towards honest people, I could say it is painting us in a negative light, and attacking our right to confront the people we disagree with.

Does me saying that make this thread bad? Toxic? Or un-constructive? I don't think so, it is what it is, the terms used and the negative overtone doesn't automatically make it bad, it's just language.

When I challenge people who complain on these forums, I do so in an attempt to give them more information. They should know that not everybody agrees. Attacking their ideas is a useful way to lead someone to the conclusion you've already come to. Simply telling people they are wrong, or telling people how it is, never works. We're human beings, we all have to understand why, or how we are wrong. At the same time, if they don't agree they will "attack" my ideas and possibly lead me to their conclusion. It's a constructive way to converse with people of differing opinions. Sadly, it gets misinterpreted as a personal attack many times and people become defensive and it all goes to ***.

The terms you list are bad in relation to any topic where someone is attempting to counter anothers experience or opinion. You could very easily call this a toxic thread but it is not. There have only been a few posts I would consider toxic by both standards. If you were to label it as such then yes it becomes unconstructive and morphs into combative.

If you want to disagree with someones opinion do so by expressing yours with examples of what makes your experience different and good for you. Not by attacking, insulting or creating hostility through confrontation.
  • Mablung
    Mablung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well sadly this post is not bumping to the top any longer. The moderators have swooped in once again to suppress this type of dialogue. It is not true when they state they are receptive to positive and negative feedback.

@ZOS_MichelleA‌ Why is this thread not bumping to the top when a new post is made?
    Edited by Mablung on July 1, 2014 3:53AM
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mablung wrote: »
    Lalai wrote: »
    It also depends on what you consider an attack. I've seen you throw around the term fanboy and white knight to discredit an opinion that is contradictory to your own. I've seen that with a lot of posters actually.. the moment they post something positive, regardless of how many criticisms they've given something in the past, they'll get a response along the lines of "you're just a fanboy". Or when a poll doesn't go the way a poster wants, they'll make a comment about the fanbois being out in force, when really, it's just that people have differing opinions.

You are absolutely correct. I have used labels. I have never justified them nor am I justifying my use of them. It is wrong. I allow myself to become emotional at times when I see the same filth spewing from certain posters and it is very hard for me to refrain from commenting. I am not looking for it to be excused. I am going to help forge a better community though by creating dialogue such as this so that we can attempt to salvage a part of the game we have control over.

Which is respectable.. but when you approach it by pointing fingers at one side and going "you're the problem"... which is what you did with this paragraph... it's not helping your cause.
    These forums have some of the most poisonous people I have ever seen in a gaming community. Complaints are expected. People are going to post negative thoughts, feelings and experience about this game no matter what. I have felt that there has been some good postings and some bad postings in this regard. What never fails however is the quick attacks, insults and attempts to discredit these posters by those who allegedly love and support this game.

My whole point was more that it's bad from both sides.. but your original post really seems to be only calling out one, and thus placing the blame on them... which is contradictory to a "let's get along" message. That's what prompted me to post here. Other than that, I agree with the whole don't insult each other bit. I make it a point not to insult, and I wish others would do the same.
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • Mablung
    Mablung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lalai From my perspective the majority of negativity comes from one side. By negativity I am referring to insults, attacks, labeling, etc. Yes the other side does this and is inexcusable. Frequency thought is definitely one sided in my opinion.

It really is not worth arguing about. It is my belief and I wish for it to change otherwise as I have stated this community will be the nail in the coffin.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Negative
    Hostility
    Attack
    Confrontation

Sometimes these things can be very constructive. It all depends on the context in which they are used. Intent, as they say, is more important than the actual term used.

I could easily call this thread hostile towards honest people, I could say it is painting us in a negative light, and attacking our right to confront the people we disagree with.

Does me saying that make this thread bad? Toxic? Or un-constructive? I don't think so, it is what it is, the terms used and the negative overtone doesn't automatically make it bad, it's just language.

When I challenge people who complain on these forums, I do so in an attempt to give them more information. They should know that not everybody agrees. Attacking their ideas is a useful way to lead someone to the conclusion you've already come to. Simply telling people they are wrong, or telling people how it is, never works. We're human beings, we all have to understand why, or how we are wrong. At the same time, if they don't agree they will "attack" my ideas and possibly lead me to their conclusion. It's a constructive way to converse with people of differing opinions. Sadly, it gets misinterpreted as a personal attack many times and people become defensive and it all goes to ***.

The terms you list are bad in relation to any topic where someone is attempting to counter anothers experience or opinion. You could very easily call this a toxic thread but it is not. There have only been a few posts I would consider toxic by both standards. If you were to label it as such then yes it becomes unconstructive and morphs into combative.

If you want to disagree with someones opinion do so by expressing yours with examples of what makes your experience different and good for you. Not by attacking, insulting or creating hostility through confrontation.

I agree this is not a toxic thread, that was my point. While my description used "bad" terms, and was for the most part accurate, those terms don't define the discussion we're having in the thread.

I'm disappointed to see you using the terms against me yet again. No where did I say attacking, I said attacking ideas or opinions. There's a big difference between attacking someone personally, and attacking their post or ideas. Where do you pull insulting from? I didn't say insulting people could be constructive. Creating hostility is very subjective, one could potentially create hostility just from the act of disagreeing. Should we never disagree with anyone, for fear of it creating hostility? There's nothing wrong with a little confrontation, as long as it doesn't turn into personal attacks. Confronting someone with another opinion is a healthy way to start a debate on the subject.

I still don't think it's right for you to tell me how to express my opinion and interact with other people on these forums. That is a job for the moderators, and when you do it, it comes across as a bit of a personal attack on my way of conversing. It's no big deal, I'll live, it just rubs me the wrong way and makes me want to respond because I feel like my opinions are being attacked.(Which is something I'm fine with, I welcome it.)
    [DC/NA]
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Lalai From my perspective the majority of negativity comes from one side. By negativity I am referring to insults, attacks, labeling, etc. Yes the other side does this and is inexcusable. Frequency thought is definitely one sided in my opinion.

It really is not worth arguing about. It is my belief and I wish for it to change otherwise as I have stated this community will be the nail in the coffin.

@‌Mablung As long as you pick sides, the community is going to remain the same as that's the core of the problem. I've personally been attacked both for posting both negative and positive criticism (and by attacked I'm referring to insults specifically). So my perception reflects that. If you really have doubts I would definitely invite you to do a search on the words "fanboy" and "fanboi". Read the posts to get context as to whether it's an attack, and then do the same for words you deem attacks on the negative criticisms (like whiners, or complainers). Words like stupid, dumb, and ambiguous kind of insults you can also search, though it'd take a bit more reading to decide which side of things they're insulting.

It's bad on both sides of the fence. Both sides are equally to blame.
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • Mablung
    Mablung
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Negative
    Hostility
    Attack
    Confrontation

I agree this is not a toxic thread, that was my point. While my description used "bad" terms, and was for the most part accurate, those terms don't define the discussion we're having in the thread.

I'm disappointed to see you using the terms against me yet again. No where did I say attacking, I said attacking ideas or opinions. There's a big difference between attacking someone personally, and attacking their post or ideas. Where do you pull insulting from? I didn't say insulting people could be constructive. Creating hostility is very subjective, one could potentially create hostility just from the act of disagreeing. Should we never disagree with anyone, for fear of it creating hostility? There's nothing wrong with a little confrontation, as long as it doesn't turn into personal attacks. Confronting someone with another opinion is a healthy way to start a debate on the subject.

I still don't think it's right for you to tell me how to express my opinion and interact with other people on these forums. That is a job for the moderators, and when you do it, it comes across as a bit of a personal attack on my way of conversing. It's no big deal, I'll live, it just rubs me the wrong way and makes me want to respond because I feel like my opinions are being attacked.(Which is something I'm fine with, I welcome it.)

So essentially you want a pardon to be able to be hostile towards people who do not share the same views or opinions as you do about the game? You want to be confrontational and create hostility to prove a point? You are not going to conform to create a better community because it is about what you want and how you want to express yourself regardless of the impact it may have on others?

Is this essentially what you are saying?
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Negative
    Hostility
    Attack
    Confrontation

So essentially you want a pardon to be able to be hostile towards people who do not share the same views or opinions as you do about the game? You want to be confrontational and create hostility to prove a point? You are not going to conform to create a better community because it is about what you want and how you want to express yourself regardless of the impact it may have on others?

Essentially, I was saying don't get hung up on terms. When we call a post negative, you don't always have to take it as an insult.

I was attempting to show you how the terms you consider bad, can be used to describe a constructive discussion.

But, yet again you want to take everything literally and ignore the point I was attempting to make. Focusing on the terms used and not the intent, then turning around and spinning it into assumptions about me.

I will certainly not conform to your standards, and I'll kindly ask you to leave it to the moderators to decide if my way of expressing myself has a negative impact on others.

I'm getting bored of this thread, you don't respond to my points, you just find something in my post to pick apart or misinterpret.
    [DC/NA]
  • Mablung
    Mablung
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Negative
    Hostility
    Attack
    Confrontation

Essentially, I was saying don't get hung up on terms. When we call a post negative, you don't always have to take it as an insult.

I was attempting to show you how the terms you consider bad, can be used to describe a constructive discussion.

But, yet again you want to take everything literally and ignore the point I was attempting to make. Focusing on the terms used and not the intent, then turning around and spinning it into assumptions about me.

I will certainly not conform to your standards, and I'll kindly ask you to leave it to the moderators to decide if my way of expressing myself has a negative impact on others.

I'm getting bored of this thread, you don't respond to my points, you just find something in my post to pick apart or misinterpret.

Speak politely, speak plainly or don't speak at all. Should be what everyone follows here on these forums. By all means continue on with the way you post. It will just continue to prove my point.

I am not getting hung up on terms. I am hung up on intent of posters such as yourself who seem to think their point of view is the only point of view and when your point of view is not aligned with someone elses you resort to belittling and insulting.
  • williamburr2001b14_ESO
    Eh. @‌Mablung For what it's worth I agree with most of what you said. For also what it's worth, one of these people you've spent too much time responding to actually once hounded me into my private message-box to say that I was lying about my game experience, so when people talk to you about "sides" and what their version of "constructive" and "polite," take that with a BIG GRAIN of salt.

This game lost me for exactly the reasons you stated. I didn't want to come here to talk about the game, I was forced to because of problems. Then I got here, and many people here can't abide talking about problems without attacking like guard-dogs. The injury is having paid a tidy sum for a game that behaves oddly. Nobody can be expected to put up with insult on top of that. That portion of the community also supports each other by being very attentive post-flaggers. I tried using the same tactic to help clean things up, and it went nowhere. Insult, the t-word-that-rhymes-with "polling," the b-word-that-rhymes-with "mating" are acceptable to the establishment here, as long as it's in defense of the game as it is.

If we're talking sides, one side "attacks" the game, with their frustrations and observations. The other side attacks those players, with personal insult. These are not the same kind of toxic, and the worse one, the one against people, is protected speech here. No person should accept that or put up with it.

This is all symptomatic, of course. If things were going well, people wouldn't spend nearly as much time on the forums as they do. There'd be less anger too, and people wouldn't be so quick to attack other people. There'd be less frustration, so people would be calmer, and less rattled by personal attack and insult. The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire, as the Bloodhound Gang would say. I went from cautious optimism to the next lyrics to that song, because that's what happens when a faction, an affiliation, treats you like a chump. You want them to be unhappy in return.
  • Mablung
    Mablung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh. @‌Mablung For what it's worth I agree with most of what you said. For also what it's worth, one of these people you've spent too much time responding to actually once hounded me into my private message-box to say that I was lying about my game experience, so when people talk to you about "sides" and what their version of "constructive" and "polite," take that with a BIG GRAIN of salt.

This game lost me for exactly the reasons you stated. I didn't want to come here to talk about the game, I was forced to because of problems. Then I got here, and many people here can't abide talking about problems without attacking like guard-dogs. The injury is having paid a tidy sum for a game that behaves oddly. Nobody can be expected to put up with insult on top of that. That portion of the community also supports each other by being very attentive post-flaggers. I tried using the same tactic to help clean things up, and it went nowhere. Insult, the t-word-that-rhymes-with "polling," the b-word-that-rhymes-with "mating" are acceptable to the establishment here, as long as it's in defense of the game as it is.

If we're talking sides, one side "attacks" the game, with their frustrations and observations. The other side attacks those players, with personal insult. These are not the same kind of toxic, and the worse one, the one against people, is protected speech here. No person should accept that or put up with it.

This is all symptomatic, of course. If things were going well, people wouldn't spend nearly as much time on the forums as they do. There'd be less anger too, and people wouldn't be so quick to attack other people. There'd be less frustration, so people would be calmer, and less rattled by personal attack and insult. The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire, as the Bloodhound Gang would say. I went from cautious optimism to the next lyrics to that song, because that's what happens when a faction, an affiliation, treats you like a chump. You want them to be unhappy in return.

We don't need no water let the *** burn
    burn *** burn

\m/
  • ZOS_JordanH
    Hello, everyone. This thread has wandered off the topic of ESO itself and devolved into arguing about personal posting style and making assumptions about others. Since this thread is no longer constructive and has run its course, we are closing it at this time.

We ask that all discussion and debate be conducted in a civil and respectful manner. If you would like more information on how to interact with your fellow forum user, please feel free to consult our Community Code of Conduct. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
    Edited by ZOS_JordanH on July 3, 2014 1:57AM
    The Elder Scrolls Online Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.