The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Suggestion: Companions

dolmen
dolmen
✭✭✭
I'm sure this has been proposed and I'm to lazy to go looking for the threads, so forgive me for any duplication.

To stop any discussion of what needs to be done now or before, I'm just proposing new content for later on in the future, 9-12+ months or longer.

I would like to see a companion system like that in Skyrim (or GW1/SWTOR for that matter).

Via quest (or some other method) you should be able to hire or be assigned a character helper. Hopefuly more than just one so that you had a collection of possible companions to take with you. It would be nice if you could decide the Race, Class and Name of them (or not). These should be available once your character has moved into the 20-30 Level zones and onwards.

They should be a gold sink (cringe, don't hate me), you have to give them their weapons and armor, and continually upgrade such (or not). You should be able to design their "build".

As an added feature; Being able to convert one (or more) of your characters to a companion for your other characters to use. Once done, that character is no longer available for play. Clear a used character slot or not when done? Not sure about that.

And yes, I know we have grouping. Consider this idea as a way to beef up a group (with some limitation on the number of companions who could be added) or just a way to play solo with some backup (again limitation on the number of companions you could take along). And, this would be strictly a PVE option, not PVP.

So what do you think?

Edit: Moved over to PTS, Feedback
Edited by dolmen on June 4, 2014 6:15PM
The Sidekick Order
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    dolmen wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been proposed and I'm to lazy to go looking for the threads, so forgive me for any duplication.

To stop any discussion of what needs to be done now or before, I'm just proposing new content for later on in the future, 9-12+ months or longer.

I would like to see a companion system like that in Skyrim (or GW1/SWTOR for that matter).

Via quest (or some other method) you should be able to hire or be assigned a character helper. Hopefuly more than just one so that you had a collection of possible companions to take with you. It would be nice if you could decide the Race, Class and Name of them (or not). These should be available once your character has moved into the 20-30 Level zones and onwards.

They should be a gold sink (cringe, don't hate me), you have to give them their weapons and armor, and continually upgrade such (or not). You should be able to design their "build".

As an added feature; Being able to convert one (or more) of your characters to a companion for your other characters to use. Once done, that character is no longer available for play. Clear a used character slot or not when done? Not sure about that.

And yes, I know we have grouping. Consider this idea as a way to beef up a group (with some limitation on the number of companions who could be added) or just a way to play solo with some backup (again limitation on the number of companions you could take along). And, this would be strictly a PVE option, not PVP.

So what do you think?

Edit: Moved over to PTS, Feedback

I have played swtor and the game was made for that kind of play this one is not would require a major system overhaul
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    @alexj4596b14_ESO - Really? Why do think major system overhaul?

We can agree to disagree on whether or not the game was made for that kind of play. ;)
    The Sidekick Order
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    dolmen wrote: »
    @alexj4596b14_ESO - Really? Why do think major system overhaul?

We can agree to disagree on whether or not the game was made for that kind of play. ;)

Becuse swtors combat was made for companions and your main chars stats we're reduced too compliment the companion and what it could do. Eso is not made like that. Also remember that eso is a massively linked mega server so introducing companions with AI like swtor has the chance too destabilize the servers all of them swtor is split up I to many servers. PVP lag is already a issue they are working on fixing that now. Eso has the most optimized game out their right now as well people from the 90s could play this game with a high end card almost, and lag is still I occurring. That why I said no.
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    @alexj4596b14_ESO - I must disagree on some points. Sorry.

The game already has "tag alongs" in both PVE and PVP. What I'm proposing is just an expansion of that. Either way, the design and design philosophy of the game I leave to ZOS. I just believe it never hurts to suggest something.

The load put on the server by what I suggest I leave to ZOS also. That is what sysadmin's, feedback, load analysis and my 15$ a month is (in part) for. If capacity is needed, then it gets added to support the load.

"Lag" - Keep in mind, that between you and the server farm there are hundreds upon hundreds of miles of copper and fiber, towers, switches, routers, back ***, big feet etc. While I am sure some of the lag issue can be laid at ZOS's feet, I don't believe all of it can.

I respect your opinion so... Let us just agree to disagree on this one ;)
    The Sidekick Order
  • ayriennub17_ESO
    I personally would rather see a conjuration or necromancy spell line(s) as opposed to the companion system used in SWTOR. I never did much like the companion system when comparing it to the pet summoning abilities of a necro in AOC or a bone dancer in DAOC. that would have to come at a serious reduction of character DPS to have several pets up at once though as they would need to be doing sufficient DPS to make up the difference. Not reducing character DPS and adding the pets on top of it would be too much. And to be clear I'm not insisting on a nerf, more like a debuff tied into the summoning spells, so players that didn't use them wouldn't be affected by the DPS drop.
  • Lunachik
    Lunachik
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the merc system in Dungeons & Dragons Online. You could hire a merc for gold , for set amount of time, and choose what type, healer, tank etc. I have no idea if there are long term plans to add battle capable companions to this game, but I would love it.
    **Mara's Moxie * The Sidekick Order * Azura's Guidance *Hallowed Holes of Tamriel **
  • Almariel
    Almariel
    ✭✭✭
    I just hope there will be the conjuration scool in the coming up spellweawing System. That way you may be able to have a "summon" or companion you like and that fits your character. I'd love to have animal / nature summons available for one of my characters as they would fit much better than those daedric creatures (which i still use for another character)

greets
    @Sevryiel - daheim auf dem PC-EU Server
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I always liked the way that GW1 made their heroes. They were helpful and quite useful. The drawback was you could solo pretty much anything in the game and there were only a handful of things that you actually needed other players for. I don't think ESO is built around having a personal party like that.

Of course having heroes or companions would certainly appeal to the Skyrim crowd.

I would actually like to have a Companion.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I support this idea , would be awesome.

I really wish i could have neat NPCs with me , i never play skyrim without vilja now , and i sure enjoy games that give me these companions a lot more.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor