Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

OMG.....Pepper Drop Rate.....WTH Zenimax?

Blade_07
Blade_07
✭✭✭✭
Seriously....I cant get any pepper any where. Without pepper there are foods I cant make! Got lots of the other ingredients but pepper is no where to be found and I have spent hours looking!!! >.< I really need pepper very badly!!!

Please increase the drop rate at least a little bit so can atleast get it every once in a wile. Thnx!
“Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope.”

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least it drops at all, unlike oats and tomatoes. I don't know if its drop rate was recently changed (other than the empty containers everywhere, that is), but I gathered a stack of pepper over the weeks.
  • Lupinemw
    Lupinemw
    ✭✭✭
    Wow I have a stack of 100 Pepper and been dumping all the extra I get into my guild bank..Maybe I should consider selling it..
    Elysium
    EU Casual Mature Daggerfall Covenant Guild

Would you like to know more?! Check us out below
    elysium-eso.guildlaunch.com
  • Viblo
    Viblo
    ✭✭✭
    I might need to take the 2 stacks out of guild bank also and sell them for mucho dinero
  • Isibis
    Isibis
    ✭✭✭
    What recipes is pepper even used for? Because I have tons of it. That and garlic...
  • Sendarya
    Sendarya
    ✭✭✭
    Vr5 purple honey something or other is the big one to save your pepper for, if you are lucky enough to find or buy that recipe. I've seen exactly one person ever with it. Lots of lvl 35 and lvl 45 purple foods require it, incluing Grilled rog Legs and Flank Steak Jerkey. Basically purple foods of all levels require one set of the following:
    1. oats and barley < also requires less rare red wheat
    2. tomatoes and potatoes < also requires less rare onions
    3. pepper and garlic < also requires less rare salt

Since salt, pepper and garlic can ALL be obtained by looting in the world (pro-tip: CHECK BASKETS LABELED PRODUCE!!), those recipes are more desired.
    All the potatoes and barley in the world won't help you as you will only ever need them WITH tomatoes or oats. Red wheat and onions are used for the blue versions though, so those are always useful.

This is a huge imbalance in my opinion that I think needs to be addressed. Either rares should all come from hirelings, or they should all have a small chance of world drop, not the mix/match it currently is. However, whenever it gets brought up as a provisioning issue, people don't seem to grasp it, and the devs have never even acknowledged it, so I am not expecting that change any time soon.

Pepper is barely dropping. I got a ton of it the first month, but the patch that reduced drop rates seems to have affected pepper as well. Now that the drop rates have been increased again, I have found 3 pepper in the last 3 days, so maybe not sooo bad as it was. Again, making any recipe that requires salt and pepper 100x more desirable than the others.

I have a purple lvl 45 food recipe that requires oats and barley. I get about 3 to 5 oats a week from my lvl 3 hireling, so that just...sucks. Better than nothing, but still.
    Edited by Sendarya on May 28, 2014 8:53PM
    Owner of the Traveling Tavern, serving superior and consummate foods and drinks for all your leveling needs! :p
    The Traveling Tavern is now closed, until veteran loot tables and rare food mats are fixed. I am very sorry to all my loyal customers!
  • Sendarya
    Sendarya
    ✭✭✭
    To be clear, the V5 purple food will require (for instance) honey comb, pinguis, salt, pepper and garlic.

The equivelant lvl 35 purple food will require (for instance) Frog legs, suet, salt, pepper and garlic.

On the one hand, it makes sense that rare is rare regardless of level. It would mean SO MANY more ingredients if the rares for each tier were different. And we don't need more ingredients to hog up our bank space, amiright?

On the other hand, you might be one sad panda if you cook up all your oats making lvl 35 purple food, only to get the v5 recipe the next day that also requires oats.....
    Owner of the Traveling Tavern, serving superior and consummate foods and drinks for all your leveling needs! :p
    The Traveling Tavern is now closed, until veteran loot tables and rare food mats are fixed. I am very sorry to all my loyal customers!
  • Isibis
    Isibis
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Sendarya‌ , very informative. Though I think you have salt and garlic flip flopped. I am glad to hear tomatoes are not the only way of making purples. I've heard enough horror stories about their rarity.
  • Sendarya
    Sendarya
    ✭✭✭
    Isibis wrote: »
    Thanks @Sendarya‌ , very informative. Though I think you have salt and garlic flip flopped. I am glad to hear tomatoes are not the only way of making purples. I've heard enough horror stories about their rarity.

Oops, you are right, I do have them flip flopped. I'll fix that. :)

• Blade_07
    Blade_07
    ✭✭✭✭
    All I know is that I cant make the food I would like to use just cuz I'm missing 1 item. Got plenty of everything else but hating it on pepper. Its for the lvl 35 food that increases magic, health, & stamina. Would love to have a V5 recipe that dose the same thing but I dont even know if they exist. If they do then the drop rate on those are CRAZY FRICKEN LOW!!!
    “Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope.”

• Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am getting a moderate amount of pepper from my hirelings as well as tomatoes, garlic and the other rare provisions. Also, the rate of getting these from the hireling seemed to step up when my provisioner went from 40 to 50 (sorry, no hard data on this one).
  • TazzyD83
    TazzyD83
    ✭✭
    At the moment, tomatoes and oats can only be found in hirelings mail box's. pepper can be found but it's pretty rare compared to other improvement foods, can't remember which post I remember seeing this in, but I'm 99% sure of this informations accuracy
  • Food4Thought
    Food4Thought
    ✭✭✭
    I have found pepper in containers on level 20 - 30ish maps. I can't say I have found a lot of pepper, but on average I think I come across about one a day.
  • neueregel
    neueregel
    ✭✭✭
    I have found pepper almost everywhere. Not a lot of course. I think I have about 20 saved... I loot EVERY container I see too, even on quests. I do not own a recipe I can use with this ingredient though. I do however have a few that require oats and tomatoes. I wasn't aware before reading this thread that they only came from hirelings... provisioning was the only hirelings I didn't have... before today.
    Are you not entertained?
    On my command, unleash hell!
    What we do in life echoes in eternity
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will start collecting pepper and selling them. I found quite a bit, but have no use for it, I am satisfied with fortified crab cake at this time, v3.
  • Veshal
    Veshal
    ✭✭✭
    My Hireling brought me 4 pepper this morning.... WHHAAAAAAT!?
    Veshal of Elderblade
  • Eris
    Eris
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got 3 peppers back to back yesterday at the Inn in Wayrest.
    Side effects of reading messages on forums can cause nausea, head aches, spontaneous fits of rage, urination due to intense laughter, and sometimes the death of your monitor or other object in throwing range. If you find that you are reading forums more than 24 hours a day, please consult your nearest temporal physicist.
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want moar purple recipes! :disagree:
  • Blade_07
    Blade_07
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just got done farming for 5 hours straight checking everything that I could and not 1 pepper to show for it!!! ~is highly irritated~ Seriously Zenimax....did you REALLY have to nerf the drop rate of pepper that hard???

Holy cow batman, there is no pepper!

For a lot of people they cant even use pepper cuz they cant get the epic grade recipes. So, the drop rate on those are broken as well. BUT for those of use that can use the pepper it would be very nice if Zenimax could make the drop rate of pepper the same as onions. They dont have a high drop rate but at least you can get those!
    Zenimax.....seems as if you guys/gals have really been having trouble with the drop rate of items. I hate to think of what you guys are gunna break next! What punishment you have in mind for your loyal paying customers now?

• cjmarsh725b14_ESO
    cjmarsh725b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are three rare ingredients for the vr5 epic food recipes: pepper, oats, and tomatoes. They are found in the different alliances. In the Dominion you can find pepper most often in produce containers in Reaper's March and onwards. The only way to get tomatoes and oats is from hirelings if your character is AD (or from guild stores), even though you go through the other alliance's zones.
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lupinemw wrote: »
    Wow I have a stack of 100 Pepper and been dumping all the extra I get into my guild bank..Maybe I should consider selling it..

I'm with this guy...almost 2 full stacks of pepper right now. If only I had a recipe to use them on.
    Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
    Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
    Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
    V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
    Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
  • Food4Thought
    Food4Thought
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not even a VR yet and I find pepper in every map I have been on (except Auridon).

I can't claim I find a lot of it, may be one a day or so. But it is out there and not just in the VR zones either.
  • Blade_07
    Blade_07
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tried farming in Coldharbor today for pepper and I got none after about 4 hours then I gave up. Anybody know if there is a place where pepper actually drops at a decent rate if there is even such a place?

• indytims_ESO
    indytims_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find pepper once in awhile, as well as salt and garlic. I also am constantly advertising to buy pepper. Usually some *** responds with fail-witty quip about drugs or something, but I get a few people selling me pepper every evening.

The only real nasty foods to collect that I know of are Oats and Tomatoes. In fact, I wonder if they are in the game AT ALL, because I've never seen EITHER of those. Ever.
  • Blade_07
    Blade_07
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find pepper once in awhile, as well as salt and garlic. I also am constantly advertising to buy pepper. Usually some *** responds with fail-witty quip about drugs or something, but I get a few people selling me pepper every evening.

The only real nasty foods to collect that I know of are Oats and Tomatoes. In fact, I wonder if they are in the game AT ALL, because I've never seen EITHER of those. Ever.

I have heard that you can only get those from your hireling but not 100% about that but I dont doubt it to be true.

• carazvaneb17_ESO
    Oats and Tomatoes were confirmed by ZOS in a post before the forum change to only come from hirelings and for this to be Working as Intended.
  • kasain
    kasain
    ✭✭✭
    I dont cook. But is pepper rare? I find much of it but I walk past it. To many other things to deconstruction.
  • Blade_07
    Blade_07
    ✭✭✭✭
    kasain wrote: »
    I dont cook. But is pepper rare? I find much of it but I walk past it. To many other things to deconstruction.

Yes, pepper is STUPID rare! I'm lucky if I even find 1 a day. Ridiculous!!!

• Vanathi
    Vanathi
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I also have tons of pepper and absolutely no use for it. Provisioning needs serious work. I hit level 50 Prov before I was even level 13. Now I'm level 32 with one blue recipe and lots of green and cannot craft any of it because I do not have the mats. It's just stupid. And yes, I have loot everything OCD so it's not a matter of me not looking for the ingredients. They just flat out aren't there.

"M'aiq was told to stay away from Oldgate. This confused him. M'aiq remembers when it was called Gate." M'aiq The Liar
  • Blade_07
    Blade_07
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, pepper was not hard to get when the game first opened. I had lots of it my self until they nerfed the drop rate on it. Now go and try to get some pepper...aint happening at all like it was. They took the atomic nerf bomb to pepper and nerfed it into dust with extreme prejudice on an epic scale of staggering proportion!!! So, its like....what pepper, where is that & what is it? Oh, its just an ingredient needed for a very nice lvl 35 epic grade recipe that I can hardly ever make now. :s

• GrimlockSaves
    GrimlockSaves
    ✭✭✭
    ME GRIMLOCK LOVE CONTRIBUTORS ON THIS THREAD. SO MANY TIME HAVE INGREDIENT BUT NOT KNOW WORTH. NOW KNOW. THANK YOU.