Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Repair gear with gathered materials?

• SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    No.

As it stands now, there is nothing to spend gold on aside from a horse, the occasional soul gem and repairs. Doing this will make the economy even more non existent.

A game will never generate a real economy unless gear is lootable or removable upon death. For that to happen, it must be structured to accommodate that and this game cannot in it's current state. Only then will crafters be the needed resource they should be. Players will lose gear and thus fueling the demand to actually drive a true economy.
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• zitzow1ub17_ESO
    zitzow1ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I like the idea of being able to create repair kits for your chosen profession that can be used, traded or sold; you would have to have a certain level of skill in given profession to use (less than required to make the kit in the first place to promote trade) and only used at a craft station.
    They could be tiered for different tier of armor; green repairing green or lesser armor or weapons, blue repairing blue or lesser armor or weapons and so on.
    Each time a piece of armor is repaired it loses a little bit of its overall durability.
  • DakotaCoty
    DakotaCoty
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I voted yes, merely because that's how all crafts should work. Surly if you can MAKE your armor, you can repair it? Idk.
    EU player
    http://tinyurl.com/10VampGuide
    www.twitter.com/DakotaKavanagh
  • sCouraGeFire
    Yes
    Blacksmith, tailor and woodworker should be able to repair their own gear at a crafting station and create repair kits.
  • temjiu
    temjiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It's almost funny to see the results of the poll...and it makes it crazy obvious that people who say the repair costs are "fine as is" are a VERY small MINORITY. Thank goodness...the way they clamor in forums it makes you feel bad about thinking that the repair costs are too extreme.

And this is aside from the current bug they're dealing with.

this idea is AWESOME. the company really doesn't get that half of the reason people are buying gold is because the gold "sinks" in this game are actually gold "pits"... it's really a negative result.

I spend half my time crafting gear to simply avoid the costs. and I get loot dropped form the world that i think is awesome...then realize that it's a style i can't craft and im dissapointed, because I know that if i want to save for a horse I won't be able to repair it.

And this idea would kick bots in the b**ls. when everyone can farm a few mining nodes, and repair their gear, or stich their medium armor up in the field with a few skins from animals (seems realistic to me...especially if you have the craft leveled), then they're money farming will be of little use.

I can even see this as being a crafting benefit. have a passive in each craft tree that reduces the materials it takes to "repair gear". and that seems FAR MORE realistic to me from a crafting perspective then having to craft entire new gear every few hours of play...or spend your bank at a vendor.

You know whats odd? I'm a master crafter in BS...high levels, i can extract precious materials from items and ore, and craft some of the best gear in the game....but i have to pay an NPC to repair the gear i got...even the stuff that i crafted. not sure what the description of backwards is, but im sure that's pretty close...
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Nope, if you remove this gold sink they will just have to shift those costs elsewhere.

For the people arguing that using mat's and the players time are gold sinks, they really need to look up what a gold sink is.

You are arguing replacing gold sink with a time sink, however, since these are materials they were already gathering for other reasons, it doesn't actually even work as a functional time sink. For instance having to use a station, that is a time sink because you cannot do it while in the field. Set Crafting Stations, also a time sink.

The two work together, but have different functions. The gold sink, though irritating to players, is one of the few controls that the developer has for controlling inflation/deflation within the game economy. It works, the suggestions for replacing it do not replace the need for it and would require creating some alternate method for removing gold.

--- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Consumables are technically a gold sink (VR prov mats don't drop in VR zones), since you have to buy the base mats from the grocer.
    Also pvp items if you're saving AP and using gold.

Repair costs are a minor nuisance, but the bigger issue IMO is the lack of an actual 'mat sink' for refined ingots/wood/cloth. Once you're lvl 50 in a crafting skill, you can try and sell them for a little over vendor price. There needs to be a reason to have them since the pace at which you get them is >>>> the needs for making a gear set.
  • dc1509
    dc1509
    ✭✭
    No
    OMG, are you guys (voted Yes) all serious ?

With the current amount of materials available in the world, the "Yes" vote is equal to the "Remove the gear decay thing alltogether" !!!

Why would you ask for such a thing at all ?

Lets ask for the Soul Gems to be crafted out of the wind, on the battlefield, that would definitely work ... /sarcasm
    truth is born in disputes
  • Belrim
    Belrim
    ✭✭✭
    So .. youre a grandmaster tailor, can make the most glorious clothes and leather armor, yay! So, in your new flashy gear, you go out to a river, and at range, kill a few mudcrabs with your bow. Victory!

But oh no? Even tho those crabs never got anywhere near you, now theres a hole in your pants and your hat is all torn up? Booo-hooo... :(

But not to worry, afterall you ARE a grandmaster tailor! So you decide to fix your clothes. .. .. humm? wait .. you dont know how? Mustve missed that class in the tailoring school.. oh well.

Not to worry tho, youll just go to the nearest inn, and have that silly part-time lazy chef-orc fix them for you, somehow he has learnt the art of fixing EVERYTHING! Wow, that guy is cool!

Anyway .. in all seriousness, when it comes to goldsink mechanisms, all realism and "immersion!" gets the boot!
    Early bird gets the worm, but second mouse gets the cheese.