The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Repair gear with gathered materials?

zeuseason
zeuseason
✭✭✭
Would you, as a player, like the idea of using gathered materials from the world to repair your gear instead of using gold? This could come in the form of (example) a certain number of ebony ingots to repair a heavy armor chest piece. The type of ingot used would be relative to you gear's level.
Edited by zeuseason on April 30, 2014 11:35AM

Repair gear with gathered materials? 195 votes

Yes
91%
UdyrfrykteSupersomethingMallowaymrwilson714_ESOAnaGwarokEdonilTebaunsuper_slacker93_ESOFexxewilliams7230_ESOvyalar_ESOrrockw_ESOjmmonnat_ESOGartzFrich.s.rodriguez_ESOSananabmaztecJadakinGambitJ79b14_ESOChoalith 178 votes
No
8%
Opioidcasselna_ESOhuntgod_ESOSeñorCincovasdrakkenpllenadob14a_ESOSyndyGreevirkrees28b14_ESOVibloWizzo91dc1509SynfaerHowitczarZaphod42jsimon514b16_ESOZouni 17 votes
  • KittyMauge
    Yes
    Yes! This is a wonderful idea! :D>

Also, devs could add a passive that if you have high blacksmithing or clothsmithing, your party gets a damage equipment reduction buff! :3
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, but only if you have specific passive from crafting skill tree for the type of gear. Not just anyone can fix their gear and make it look like new.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Syntse wrote: »
    Yes, but only if you have specific passive from crafting skill tree for the type of gear. Not just anyone can fix their gear and make it look like new.

Ya, I like that idea too. Adding a passive to allow you to repair your gear. I wouldn't see adding a new PIP for it, so maybe combining it with something that's already there?

• Fexx
    Fexx
    Yes

That's what I was thinking as well.
    Though I would like to see it as a level 50 Passive.
    Being as of right now, nothing unlocks at 50 for BS, Clothing ect.
    How many points it would take is a whole other Idea.

• Shimizu
    Shimizu
    ✭✭
    Yes
    A good idea & incentive for high level crafting passives; even moreso if you could repair it 'in the field'.
  • Fexx
    Fexx
    Yes
    Shimizu wrote: »
    A good idea & incentive for high level crafting passives; even moreso if you could repair it 'in the field'.

I like this "in the field" idea as well. Not mats in the bank though, they should have to be on you.

• lichmeister
    lichmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    great idea!
    i voted yes, of course, and lol at the results! i have stacks of mats building up from deconning all the loot i get and never seem to use nearly as much as i end up with.
    i understand why repairing costs gold from a game economy point of view yet crafting should still count for something when it comes to fixing the same gear you can make yourself.

For the cost of several pelts, 1 gemstone, 2 hemmings and 3 embroideries you can make yourself a nice blue leather Jacket of Awesome. After several harrowing battles, you trundle back to the nearest city, bags full of pillaged tools of war and monster guts, armour battered and stained. After haggling with the local apothecary for the various potions wisp essences and monster spleens, selling off some ornate treasures to a travelling khajit merchant and unloading the steel to your family vault for your brother (a blacksmith) to have his way with, you find yourself looking at your tattered armour. Made by your own two hands, you lament they have seen better days! Whatever will you do? Pull out your needle and thread and some spare leather and repair the damage? That makes no sense! However would a tailor manage? You better run over to the nearest mystic and pay her 800 gold. :\

i would like to take it a step further: if you have the skill you should be able to upgrade the levelof your armour at a crafting station for the cost of additional materials. i wouldn't object in the least to either of these two options (repairing & upgrading) binding the armour to the character or account.
  • zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    i would like to take it a step further: if you have the skill you should be able to upgrade the levelof your armour at a crafting station for the cost of additional materials. i wouldn't object in the least to either of these two options (repairing & upgrading) binding the armour to the character or account.

Upgrading would be cool too!

The crafting system in this game has gotten many a praise, but with some of these ideas, it could be insanely great and bring players in masses to this game.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

If you could actually upgrade the item a level at a time (assuming you had the relevant crafting perks, and couldn't upgrade it out of it's own tier, (that is to say, you can't craft iron into steel, or hide into leather), it would give me an incentive to actually upgrade beyond white. It'd also be more expensive to craft a lower piece, and upgrade it through the ranks than it would to simply craft a new piece, while still being cheaper than tossing our gear on the fire every other level.

This could actually be really cool.
  • zamiel
    zamiel
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    It's a no-brainer.
    It gives back a little bit of gold a crafter will lose due to deconstructing items instead of selling them. Currently crafting is a real pricy profession.
  • Opioid
    Opioid
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No. Repair costs are a necessary gold sink and should remain as is with no player repairs outside of the repair kits currently available.

That being said, repair costs need to be examined and adjusted, as do item degradation rates. I ran around in Cyrodiil last night for around 4 hours with a group collecting skyshards. I didn't die once, but had to repair my armor twice when it hit 0% durability, costing me over 5k gold which ended up being a fairly significant loss compared to the piddly income I was getting from knocking out a few quests and from the drops off stuff we were killing.
  • zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Opioid wrote: »
    No. Repair costs are a necessary gold sink and should remain as is with no player repairs outside of the repair kits currently available.

Just a note: by removing materials from the market for repair, you are creating a gold sink. This gives weight to be a gatherer rather than a crafter.

• jsimon514b16_ESO
    No
    We need to bring back oblivion hammers , not straight up mats sorry. The system is made to push people toward perfecting ur trade is one of the best Imho DEV NEED TO TAKE A DEEPER LOOK on gear Decay. There's definitely something broken in the veteran zone has decay is incredible Fast and out of proportion. Has for the earlie zones 1-35 there's no reason not to be able to skip repairs with salvaged mats and reforge armor. If ur a lowbie and go ape *** crafting blue and epic even gold quality gear then u should think if ur able to sustain it , game ain't broken sorry. rethink and reevaluate ur gear philosophy.
  • Opioid
    Opioid
    ✭✭✭
    No
    zeuseason wrote: »
    Just a note: by removing materials from the market for repair, you are creating a gold sink. This gives weight to be a gatherer rather than a crafter.
    Not really, it doesn't cost anything to go mine a few nodes to gather mats to repair gear. That doesn't remove any gold from the economy at all. That's a material sink, not a gold sink. They are two related, but separate things.
  • Coni
    Coni
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I would like to see crafters able to make 'repair kits' as such, we could then sell/trade them to our fellow players....
  • pllenadob14a_ESO
    No
    No, but even better, ADD the repair kit as a crafted item.
  • alphawolph
    alphawolph
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I've yet to repair my armor. This would change that.
  • Chalybos
    Chalybos
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Actually, rather than as a passive, have it as an active skill line. Points put into it according to tier, rather than just a couple of points giving you full functionality right from the start. Not everyone should be able to casually pull a Tony Stark and rebuild your gear in a garage with some spare parts and a full Snap-On toolbox.

Now, field repairs? Against that idea. Again, with a movie reference, but as much as I love "The African Queen", Humphrey Bogart pulling the drive shaft, fixing it, and repairing the prop all around a campfire was a bit of a stretch. I feel the same towards the idea of Groo patching up his gear on the side of the road. What, you're going to carry a small anvil, fuel, molds, bellows, chisels and hammers out on the road with you? How many horses are in your train?
    That's what the blacksmith's shop is for.
  • Knottypine
    Knottypine
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I agree with this. For those saying we need it as a gold sink, there are other ways for this. Repairing gear should not be one.
  • zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Opioid wrote: »
    zeuseason wrote: »
    Not really, it doesn't cost anything to go mine a few nodes to gather mats to repair gear. That doesn't remove any gold from the economy at all. That's a material sink, not a gold sink. They are two related, but separate things.

On the contrary. Farming materials to take to the crafting station to convert them to finished materials to use for repairs takes *time*. Time most probably wouldn't bother with, so the gatherers (or material sales in general) would skyrocket thus creating a healthier economy.

Would you rather spend 20-30min a day of gathering for your repair or buy a full stack of mats from a gatherer and have repairs for a week?

I personally have never paid for a repair and never will, so my opinion is a bit biased. So much for a gold sink if players don't do it eh?

• super_slacker93_ESO
    super_slacker93_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Yes
    In my opinion I think it would be at least an alternative for crafters because we do accumulate a ton of extra ingots/hide and what not that will never get used. Though I think it should cost more than just ingots. Perhaps depending on its damage, include the use of the items style material which could make maintaining rare motif armors quite expensive and so people would still use the merchant repair, or a smaller gold fee. It would also require a high level in its respective smithing profession. Just my thoughts anyway. And obviously you could only do these things at crafting areas.
    Edited by super_slacker93_ESO on April 30, 2014 8:31PM
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I voted yes to repairing gear, but this is probably an even better idea.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes. And this:

• Tetujin
    Tetujin
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I said yes, but you should have also included the quality upgrade gear being required for green/blue etc. Basically to repair from completely broken should take about as much to repair as to make in the first place.
  • zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Ur-Quan wrote: »
    I voted yes to repairing gear, but this is probably an even better idea.

I'd be good with this too! Simple solution.

• knaveofengland
    knaveofengland
    ✭✭✭
    well can understand what you are saying but game wasn't made like this, there are good and bad points to be made , you could use more range attacks kill them before melee gets to you.
    the list and arguments are many I would suggest game is ok crafting just needs some tweaks , please remember the game is only 1 month old
  • Kalman
    Kalman
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I voted yes but let me clarify, I think each craft should be able to make repair kits like the ones you can buy from NPCs.
  • Malloway
    Malloway
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I love the idea of repairing items with the materials that you gather as a crafter. If they implement this, they have to balance it properly. Adding as extra passive to Blacksmithing, Tailoring, and Woodworking would be needed.
    I’m going to use blacksmithing as an example to how I can see this implemented. (This is all based on how I see it logically, in no way am I saying this is how it should be implemented, suggestions and changes welcome)

NEW Passive: Metal Repair (0/9) *putting 1 skill point will allow you to repair Iron level items, putting 4 skill points will allow you to repair up to Dwarven (36-44) level items*

*Repairing the item should require the appropriate racial stone, one racial stone every time you repair, weather that be at 90% or at 5% (there is your gold sink, you can buy these at vendors)

*More ingots required the lower the durability is, with the same amount of ingots required to make the item, minus 1, if the durability is at 0%

*Repairing green quality items should require a honing stone if its damage is <25%, Repairing a blue quality item should require a Dwarven Oil if the damage is <5%, Epic and Legendary items should only require there respected tempers if the item is broken aka 0% (yes this might be expensive, but see below)

*Proposed change: Items will degrade slower depending on their rarity; Legendary items should degrade the slowest, with Normal the fastest (Sturdy enchants will be calculated after the initial “quality check” and will still help to effect decay rate). This should help with higher quality items requiring exponentially higher priced tempers to repair. This also makes sense lore wise since the higher quality the item, the stronger it should be to withstand degradation.

CONCLUSION: There you have it, a crafting solution that also acts as a gold sink. Repairing items should not be cheap, and just slightly cheaper than crafting the item itself.
  • Adamargo
    Adamargo
    I would much rather have the option to spend a few metal ingots to repair my items than having a massive repair build. Or as some people have suggested, be able to make our own repair kits for whatever crafting profession we are.
  • Arsvita
    Sorry, no vote.

I remember the repair, Armorer, that used tongs and a variety of hammers to repair items.

This required the tongs, which were cheap and pretty ineffective, through the rank of hammers to Grand Master, which was the most expensive and the best.

They had limited uses and worked only as well as your ability and skill to use them. The better the skill, the better the chance for a repair, the more repaired on the item.

How it may be decided to be put in affect, if at all, would be a choice in where the skill would either be created or added to the current skills of the three specific craft skills. Also if there would be a craft specific limit.

Otherwise, although I always found it funny that a cook could fix what I made while I was unable to, the repairs do not seem to be a critical (though funny) matter. You can always use repair kits while you are in the field, I guess as I have yet to buy any, to help allay a break or higher cost of staying out all day.