Maintenance for the week of May 20:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 18:00 UTC (14:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Make starter islands more obvious?

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A tutorial hint would make sense. At least then you could get a pop up. And it is funny to me for those saying, it is obvious to any one who has played RPGs since the game leads you from quest hub to quest hub.

I walk out of a room into a quest hub. Why would I follow the quest leading away from the hub I am in? Any one who has been playing RPGs for any length of time knows this is surely the quest that leads to the next, hub. since I am in fact standing in a quest hub. When I finish all the quest in this hub and nearby I will move on. You can say the game leads you from quest hub to quest hub all you want, but that is the very reason this fails. Anyone with super leet RPG experience knows you finish all the quest at a hub before you, boat, fly, teleport anywhere.
    On the other hand, anyone who has played Elder Scrolls games knows that the most exciting course of action is to ignore the NPCs shouting about imminent doom and go see what's behing that hill on the other side of the river.
    Options
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feimerdre wrote: »
    Guys. Really. The starter island is just a help. It is in no way neccessary but for 1 skillpoint (there is 3 skyshards on it). you will be perfectly okay doing the main questline with level 3-4 even if mobs are level 3-5 and as far as I remember they arent much higher. Its even the other way round: if you leave starter island with level 7 you will find most quests much too easy as mobs in there are like level 3-5.
    If by any means a level 4 or 5 crab will give you a hard time as level 3, then, well, I guess you could blame the devs. Or maybe not ;-)

Ahem. I think there are 3! skill points there. Let's dissect Daggerfall:
    3 shards on Stros M'kai (gives 1 skill point and 1 shard for the new)
    3 shards on Betnikh (gives 1 skill point and 1 shard for the new)
    and I believe you get 1 skill point for finishing the "main questline" of those 2 islands, up to saving the orcs from the Bloodthorn cultists

3 skill points are definitely something you DON'T want to miss this early.
    Options
  • Feimerdre
    Feimerdre
    ✭✭✭✭
    You will be okay without those skill points. I dont play DF, I am in EH and we only have one island, dunno if there is a skillpoint as reward for finishing the island. All I wanted to state is that you CAN be okay going on questing without starter island. I do indeed agree on the matter that it should be more obvious that this first questgiver is leading you to a starter area. This would make sense for new players.
    Options
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feimerdre wrote: »
    Guys. Really. The starter island is just a help. It is in no way neccessary but for 1 skillpoint (there is 3 skyshards on it). you will be perfectly okay doing the main questline with level 3-4 even if mobs are level 3-5 and as far as I remember they arent much higher. Its even the other way round: if you leave starter island with level 7 you will find most quests much too easy as mobs in there are like level 3-5.
    If by any means a level 4 or 5 crab will give you a hard time as level 3, then, well, I guess you could blame the devs. Or maybe not ;-)
    there are 5 Skyshards on khenarthi's roost, as for the quest. i am level 10 and JUST NOW starting the quests in the newb island. being over leveled is not a bad thing in this game...considering you will run in to many bosses that will make you ask why they are here....those who have fought them know -_-.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
    Options
  • halflight2
    halflight2
    Soul Shriven
    ArRashid wrote: »
    They changed it to this way because people in betas were whining about having to do starting islands and that they don't have freedom to go wherever..

Now people are whining because they start in a city instead of an island...

There's a lesson to be learned here.. no matter what devs do, people always whine about it not being changed, then whine about it being changed, then whine about wanting back the original, then whining they don't want it changed again......................to the end of time.

Also, they literally CAN'T make the starting island quest more obvious.... it's THE FIRST THING YOU SEE WHEN YOU WALK OUT OF THE ROOM YOU SPAWN IN. A giant ! in your face. You can't possibly miss it, unless you don't even look around and rather chase the first player you see running past you..

Yes I so agree plus when you take this starter quest the yellow text pops up on you screen telling you that "you can ether go to the starter island or start here" at least they did fore me. But ya no its to hard to read and think fore your self lol.
    Options
  • RianaTheBosmer
    RianaTheBosmer
    ✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Pallmor wrote: »
    Would it be too much to ask that a character start our on the starter island automatically
    Oh, the irony.

I thought they were extremely obvious, the Prophet mentions them and you're directed there again by an NPC close by - in DC it's literally right outside the door. But I talked to a new player in Glenumbra a while ago, helped him with a few things and as it turns out, he went out exploring and completely missed the starter islands. So I'm beginning to think that they're so obvious to me only because I played the beta and knew about them. But really, what more can they do? Short of sending us to the islands fresh out of Coldharbor, like it was in the beta.

They can put someone right in the starting instance. "You're awake. The people of (insert starting zone here) need your help. You need to head to the dock and find transport.

Options