Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Never played a Sorceror - suggest a build good for solo questing

Epona222
Epona222
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I am very fond of my NB and DK, tried Templar but didn't take to it, would like to try a Sorceror as I have never tried one, but there are so many build ideas out there that it's boggling my mind.

I like grouping and do group occasionally (either with guildmates, or ad hoc with other players around quest areas and dungeons) but as I don't have people available to group with me all the time (I play at odd hours), solo survivability for when I am questing solo is important.

Edit: Oh is bow viable for a sorceror? I have enjoyed using a bow with other classes. Or should I stick with destro staff for ranged? Race will be Altmer.
Edited by Epona222 on May 14, 2014 9:12PM
GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Destruction Staff. Daedric Summons to L30 to get Bound Armour. Light Armour. Bow is probably a good idea for the stamina tricks so you can use those when the magicka runs out though a melee weapon or Silver Bolts might serve better because you a slightly more vulnerable IMO as a Sorcerer. There's a lot of variety to choose but the Summons hit your dual skill bars.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tips. I always like silver bolts anyway and would have it on one bar for stamina use, I hate having a resource pool go unused!

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Playing a mage is harder than playing a DK. Against the same, or higher, levels, sometimes, you have to stand back and choose your targets carefully or desperately fend off strikers - or just run away. Strangely I found that I was safer from NPC mages and archers because I was slightly more removed from combat and was more likely to see their more subtle attacks. So also take whatever AoE you can. With my current Sorcerer I think I'm going to be looking at the Skill Bar and dropping the second summoned critter for more options because I've reached a point where the lack of options is getting me killed.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Eivar
    Eivar
    ✭✭✭✭
    after leveling a Nb to vet levels i started playing a destro staff sorc......it is insanely easy. I don't even use destro staff abilities......my rotation is basically this. Crystal shard to open(high dmg + knockdown) heavy attack from my destro staff, mage's fury. that kills most mobs of equal level. larger mobs with more hp, crystal shard, daedric curse, crystal shard, mage's fury....dead. lol if they can't be knocked down you just need to kite while recasting curse as it explodes and fitting in light/heavy attacks. for AoE i use encase to cc the group, drop lightning splash on them, and then channel a heavy attack with my overload ultimate.....take little to no dmg, every dies when encase wears off(if you take the exploding morph) impulse from destro staff looks great for group dungeons, for the greater mobility but soloing this build has worked very well. Managed to solo my way through halls of the dead public dungeon in windhelm, i took a different path from the ad-hoc dungeon group that formed to test my aoe......was silly i made it around the loop before the group did from the other side lol.

EDIT: forgot to mention i have inner light from mage's guild on both bars the spell crit is well worth it.
    Edited by Eivar on May 16, 2014 12:17AM
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Which destro staff do people tend to go for? I have Frost at the moment just for the simple reason that when playing other classes, a cryomancer mob is the one I'm most likely to want to avoid.
    And what weapon are people using on the second bar, another destro staff or something else?

• Eivar
    Eivar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »
    Which destro staff do people tend to go for? I have Frost at the moment just for the simple reason that when playing other classes, a cryomancer mob is the one I'm most likely to want to avoid.
    And what weapon are people using on the second bar, another destro staff or something else?

the best ir probably fire,because of the burning DoT you can affect enemies with, i personally use lightning cause it looks cool though lol. my second bar is resto staff, its just too useful to be able to stop what you are doing and heal, have duo'd dark anchors at level because of that staff
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I might try resto staff when I hit lvl 15. At least level it up a bit so that I can switch to it for Anchors/public dungeons/grouping. I won't be doing any crafting with this character so putting a skill point into something to try it out once I have a few more levels under my belt is not going to be a crippling mistake!

I'm quite liking the frost staff so far, but will definitely give fire a go also, I'll start carrying one of each around with me so I can compare them against different mobs.

I'm currently level 9 and can feel quite fragile if anything gets close enough to start whacking at me, fortunately I have a few methods of preventing that from happening. And as long as I can keep mobs at a distance, I feel quite powerful and am having fun pretty much blowing them up! Not that you can really judge a build so early on of course, but at the moment I am having fun with it.

Thanks to everyone who has responded, it's very unusual for me to play mage types in any game (so the help is much appreciated), but I at least wanted to give it a go and it's been worth it so far :)
    Edited by Epona222 on May 16, 2014 5:46PM

• Sleepydan
    Sleepydan
    ✭✭✭
    Go all medium armor with a 2h.

Cleave morphed for the bubble, critical charge, critical surge, dealers choice( I chose boundless storm) bound armor.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sleepydan wrote: »
    Go all medium armor with a 2h.

Cleave morphed for the bubble, critical charge, critical surge, dealers choice( I chose boundless storm) bound armor.

And that's something completely different to consider! I hadn't even thought of doing anything like that tbh. Doing that, how would you allocate attribute points? You'd want some in stamina for that build I imagine.

• Sleepydan
    Sleepydan
    ✭✭✭
    When I did it I went all stamina. If I were to do it again I would at least go 50/50 health. It was very easy to overcharge weapon damage with 2h and surge.
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »

I use Lightning with a Flame Enchantment. Gives me the feeling I'm actually doing something and affects regenerating critters. You need the burning effects vs Trolls and Gargoyles.

• poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. My witch is very successful and solos dungeons well above her level. A 16 3 4 build, but I have an enchanter so I can buff my health and stamina. Running 2 heavy and 5 light.

She at level 24 is strong.

Destro Ice and Shards, Silver Bolts, Fury, Curse and Clanfear on one bar.

Destro Fire and Destructive Touch, Silver Bolts, Wall of Elements, Lightning Armor and Clanfear on the other.

Anything her level can come in packs. She is happy with one level 30 and will often take a couple with few problems.

The secret to sorcs is discipline. You have to carefully juggle magic, recovery, which needs stroking and health and stamina. Silver Bolts eats up most of mine.

You will notice 2 knockdowns, well 3 if it's Daedra, and they are important to a sorc. My baby does not like trash on her shoes. The Lightning Armor should be morphed to the high speed version and that makes kiting hilarious.

I got 2 sorcs a DK and 2 NBs. I like the sorcs best so far.
    Edited by poodlemasterb16_ESO on May 19, 2014 12:59AM