Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Which 1h/s skills do you have on your bar and why?

bsmorrowb14_ESO
bsmorrowb14_ESO
✭✭✭
After being bow/d.staff leveling up i decided to drop d.staff for a small bit and test out 1h/s and find I love it. Haven't invested a lot of pts into it yet. But i'm curious which skills from this line are worth sinking pts into. Thanks in advance!
  • Andy22
    Andy22
    ✭✭✭
    PvP or PvE?
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only 1H/Shield skill that's even marginally useful is Puncture to taunt, and that's only until you can get Inner Fire from Undaunted.
  • Still_Mind
    Still_Mind
    ✭✭✭
    Charge (knockdown duration morph) is my most-used skill in the entire skill line. I use it extensively in PvP and solo PvE.

For PvE tanking, I do keep Defensive Posture slotted, just for the passive component. I use Inner Fire for taunts, and my group often covers vulnerability debuffs so that I don't need Pierce Armour.
    "I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!"
  • bsmorrowb14_ESO
    bsmorrowb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Andy22 wrote: »
    PvP or PvE?
    Mostly for PvP, but I'm still leveling (mid 40s atm), so PvE would be nice too.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Charge is good. Power Bash is also nice as it freezes opponent attacks, not just interrupts. Good for those 'survival' fights.
  • bsmorrowb14_ESO
    bsmorrowb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sihnfahl wrote: »
    Charge is good. Power Bash is also nice as it freezes opponent attacks, not just interrupts. Good for those 'survival' fights.

Says it disorients an opponent for 8 seconds afterwards. What does this technically do to another player?

• Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just slows their movement, apparently.
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only 1H/Shield skill that's even marginally useful is Puncture to taunt, and that's only until you can get Inner Fire from Undaunted.
    All melee skills are a lesson in mediocrity in Vr dungeons. You might get some situational use out of sns weapon debuff on the vamp in spindle just before he teleports . That attack seems to be weapon based
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sihnfahl wrote: »
    Its useless on bosses its only good for a gap closer on pulls . In general vr questing heavy stam builds can use it as a repeatable cc while dps kills
  • Tadhg_Longhouse
    Tadhg_Longhouse
    ✭✭✭
    The ones I use are Puncture (with Pierce Armor morph) and Defensive Posture (Absorb Magic morph).

Pierce armor makes the enemy take more damage and taunts. Absorb Magic gives passive block cost reduction and helps with tanking casters.

I use my class abilities for any CC and survival so none of the other abilities are really required.
    Edited by Tadhg_Longhouse on May 9, 2014 3:43PM
    Tadhg Longhouse
    Reachman Sorcerer
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • Montanx
    Montanx
    In pvp only charge is useable, in pve only puncture is useable really.
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charge. Nothing else is worth using.
  • Still_Mind
    Still_Mind
    ✭✭✭
    Charge. Nothing else is worth using.
    In before "Bash is everything you need" complaints. :)
    "I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!"
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep power bash on their to level the skill, was using Puncture at first. I don't actually use any of those skills, once it hits 50, I won't have a wpn skill on my bar.

Running Sorc at the moment and the class skills are just better than anything the wpn skill lines offer.

--- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep power bash on their to level the skill, was using Puncture at first. I don't actually use any of those skills, once it hits 50, I won't have a wpn skill on my bar.

Running Sorc at the moment and the class skills are just better than anything the wpn skill lines offer.

You don't need weapon skills on your bar to level a weapon, you just need to have that weapon equipped. I don't even put a point into any 1h/s active skills until i get to level 20 and can get shield charge.
    Edited by Drachenfier on May 10, 2014 7:04PM
  • ArgonianAssassin
    ArgonianAssassin
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's all situational, if I'm tanking a big pack with mages and necromancers in it, or a magic based boss I throw on Absorb Magick, for soloing and questing I have on Low Slash, the morph that reduces targets damage. but otherwise I'm running ransack, and in pvp I switch those out for the shield charge ability, power bash doesn't seem very useful, maybe it's more useful in pvp with morphs but I can't be bothered with leveling it I don't think. As a nightblade I find myself using Lotus Fan and Refreshing Path as my openers from range + stealth bonus and the shadow barrier passive so no need for charge when tanking because that's covered by Lotus Fan which also adds a nice aoe snare + bleed.
    Edited by ArgonianAssassin on May 11, 2014 3:05PM
    "It is okay to fear the night, even the bravest warriors are filled with fright, at the sight of the might of Sithis' fang, let the blood be washed away by the rain, let the stains forever remain, another life taken in Sithis' name, another soul for the void. All hail our Dread Father and his consort, the Night Mother." -Stalks-His-Prey
  • Aoifesan
    Aoifesan
    ✭✭✭
    Pierce armor with the morph for more damage done via spell or attack. Relatively ok damage to that single target. Obscenely good at getting attention with it's taunt.

Very good at making your follow ups do more damage, as well as all your friends getting that same benefit.
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I use skills 1-3 and I use them situationally
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone use low slash? Looked redundant to me so never put a point in it. Good bad or meh?
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all honesty . Im a main tank and while tanking i use nothing from the melee line but charge. And passives for the bashomatic build. Half the debuffs ffrom almost every ability in every class gets resisted by bosses anyhow
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Ransack in dungeons to keep the boss' attention on me and away from the healer/dps. The bonus armor it gives me helps me stay alive a lot longer since I am 5 Light/2 Heavy. With the passives from Light Armor, my Spell Resistance is at the softcap, and with the bonus armor from Ransack, my Armor gets close to the softcap. Also, with all the Light Armor on, I can be very effective spell-based dps against trash mobs, where taunting/tanking is not as useful as against bosses. It seems to be best to just thin the mob out as quickly as possible than to try to tank/taunt one random enemy out of 20.

Outside of dungeons, I don't use anything on my hot bar. I just have the shield equipped to get all the passives for survivability. 1H+S has great passives for mitigating damage. I use the Templar charge ability because, when morphed, it does AoE damage at the point of impact, which the 1H+S charge does not. Templars don't have much AoE, so I could not pass that up. It is nice to Templar charge at a healer and not just interrupt his healing, but damage everyone he was trying to heal as a side effect.