Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of July 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 15
Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Sorcerer or Templar for a pure caster?

Mortenanderb16_ESO
Mortenanderb16_ESO
Soul Shriven
Hello everyone!

New player here, also a long time fan of the Elder Scrolls series and I'm really excited to get started with ESO! I'd like to be a pure caster character since that's what I always play in TES games. I'll probably switch between healing and dps, depending on my mood.

Does anyone have any tips as to what class I should pick? Which class is most fun to play as a pure caster? Thanks in advance for all your help :-)
  • Drekor
    Drekor
    ✭✭
    If you want to blow stuff up with magic the best class for that is currently DK's. They aren't exactly good healers though they can get by.
    Options
  • Niffo
    Niffo
    ✭✭✭
    Sorcerer, even with the healing line Templars have, Sorcerers can heal as good and for longer periods of time with their magicka management skills. They also have solid active abilities for all roles.
    Options
  • Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭
    Templar, if you are a long time of the Elder Scrolls. subjective naturally but Templar spells look much, much better. superb animations, from your regular 'sun bolts' to nova ultimate. if you are interested in dmg and stats, then sorry, I dont know.
    Options
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want max ability spamming potential. I'd say go Nightblade/destruction staff. As with Siphoning attacks you can perma spam spells whilst regaining mana/health.

The only drawback is that you'll have to level a bit before you get the skill.
    Edited by Dekkameron on May 15, 2014 10:02PM
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
    Options
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want pure caster DPS as in relying on magicka to dish out damage then Sorcerer is nearly your only option, as only Sorcerers have a DPS spell that is even remotely spammable (Crystal Fragments). All other single target spells are either 1. utility, 2. have cast times or 3. have a non-stacking effect.
    Options
  • adiwantinova
    I have parsed 1.6k DPS in non-boss at level VR mobs (3) at a time as a Templar caster.

Crystal Shards (Sorc) has the same cast time as Dark Flare (Temp) - 1.5s. The difference is that Crystal Shards can proc for a free cast every so often (Flare cannot), but Flare gives a +50 spell/weapon power buff to the next attack.

Which is where I'll go next.

Sorc does have Mage's Fury, which has an explosion for extra (delayed) burst after the target is low health (<25%?).

While Templar can use Reflective Light to hit multiple targets with a nice (if it crits) burst, which ALWAYS has a DOT (regardless of the target's health).

I have yet to figure out a good boss to DPS parse on, but I've seen 400-500 DPS sustained DPS reads on VR1-5 dungeons as a VR2/3 in *** gear.

The claims about Templar magicka management are greatly exaggerated IMHO. Meanwhile, Sorcs do have passives that reduce the cost of spells, but in my experience, you'll want spell symmetry from the Mage's Guild anyways.

Once used, it exchanges health for magicka, reduces your next spell cost by 25%, and gives your next cast a +20% spell power buff anyways.

If you're in full DPS mode, you'll have a dedicated healer for most content (in PVE), and as such, you won't be negatively effected by the lack of self healing debuff that comes with symmetry (which lasts for 4s after symmetry is cast).

Even as a healer, I have no issues with magicka management & can basically spam 5-7 honor the dead instant burst heals during any fight before going oom.

No sorc can push that much HPS. I don't care what anyone says (I crit nearly every cast on honor the dead, which will heal an ally for 1100-1200/cast).

Good luck healing for that much burst with resto-only healing.

:smile:
    Edited by adiwantinova on May 16, 2014 1:21AM
    Adi-Wan
    Wrath Mage & Restoration
    Options
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem OP is that balance is a ever changing thing in MMOs , right now the obvious answer would be:

DK if you want fire and a more PvE turned experience, they are ... worse when it comes to heals overall than the temps and sorcs.

Sorc if you want dark magic/summons/lighting magic and want to spend time in PvP.

The templar is a healer (and that is it) , he should not be needed or that even better at PvE heals , but in PvP the burst heals can mean a lot.

Outside the current balance (which can change at lot when 1.1 hits with the trials ... ), you can just look at their trees, if i had to tell you one without minding balance at all , then pick sorc , after all you want to play a mage and that is the class that gives you the most tools for it.

Hope i helped.
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on May 16, 2014 12:53AM
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
    Options
  • adiwantinova
    The templar is a healer (and that is it) , he should not be needed or that even better at PvE heals , but in PvP the burst heals can mean a lot..

LOL. M'kay.
    Adi-Wan
    Wrath Mage & Restoration
    Options
  • Mortenanderb16_ESO
    Mortenanderb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks alot for the replies! :) Seems I've got alot of options here. Sorta made me wish they didn't make skills class specific, it's so hard to choose xD
    Options
  • Darrett
    Darrett
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templar can make a decent caster, but has huge magicka regen problems at higher levels, and high class ability costs. If you're fine using a Restoration staff for regen purposes, you can make it work. Sorcerer is probably the easier choice right now though.
    Options
  • Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks alot for the replies! :) Seems I've got alot of options here. Sorta made me wish they didn't make skills class specific, it's so hard to choose xD
    indeed. it is one of worst and anti TES feature of ESO: classes. feel free to express your antipathy towards such crude system. and choose templar: sea of fireworks

Options
  • METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭
    Ive played and tried every class. In terms of feeling the most like a TES game i say sorcer with a bow or destro staff. What i like about sorcerer is they have many passives that do not require a skill from that tree to be active. Like extra stamina and magic regen. One thing thats awesome about sorcer is i feel i never run out of magic. I will say DK has some of the coolest looking abilities in game. I also love templar for pure healer. Nightblade was no fun for me until i did a respec and made him a caster. Anyway hands down in my opinion resto staff is the best weapon in the game, at least for leveling. It has amazing dps as well which i was not expecting.
    Options