The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Wyrd Tree voiceover in German?

• jaytrill11ub17_ESO
    I actually liked this and found it to be quite a fitting error if that's what it was.
    Options
  • prepstar
    prepstar
    ✭✭
    I feel the same as most of you stated as well. I very much enjoyed the language difference. Although at first I thought it was jibberish speak (playing at 7a.m does that to you)! It would be difficult in the boss fight without having tested within the beta...but the good glow will always guide you :smiley:
    Options
  • Denthris
    Denthris
    I never had a problem with it. Honestly when the girl outside the tree says in plain English. The Guardians will protect you. It only took 1 death to figure that out.

It seemed fitting honestly, as they are not something you naturally encounter.
    Options
  • djhuff23b14_ESO
    I did not mind it. The only problem came at the end when cleansing the Wyrd tree, and not being able to understand the guardian's directions. It was my second time through though, so i had an idea of what to do. The guardians spoke perfectly good English during beta.
    Options
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, then there was all the 'vocaloid' dialogue during beta. You know, the old Dr SBAITSO voice.
    Options
  • Heraclea
    Heraclea
    ✭✭✭
    I covet the Wyress costume. Is there any way to get that for your character?
    Hircine loves me, this I know,
    Your intestines told me so.

Quæ tam fera immanisque natura? - Cicero
    Options
  • Flashingblade
    Flashingblade
    Soul Shriven
    I wonder if the German version has them speak in English.

That's just what I was thinking :)
    Options
  • NightOwl68
    NightOwl68
    ✭✭
    Glad I'm not the only one, I can't seem to complete the quest as I keep dying.
    Since I can't understand them (sorry I don't know german) I don't know what I am supposed to do. Except wait till I get a high enough level I can take him out by myself fast. I haven't dropped the quest, keeping it at the last stage till this is fixed.
    Edited by NightOwl68 on April 11, 2014 3:45AM
    Options
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    when they started to talk in the first 5 sec i tough its the elemental language that thats how they speak...... then i found out its german...... lol
    Options
  • Baxter2064

That would be hilarious if it was shouting at them in English.

On a related note, this issue isn't just confined to the Guardians. I've run into some sort of water-related creature (nymphs? that sounds right), in several quests, that also speaks in German.
    "Professionals are predictable, it's the amateurs that are dangerous."
    - Murphy's Laws of Combat
    Options
  • Kroin
    Kroin
    ✭✭
    Baxter2064 wrote: »

That would be hilarious if it was shouting at them in English.

On a related note, this issue isn't just confined to the Guardians. I've run into some sort of water-related creature (nymphs? that sounds right), in several quests, that also speaks in German.

Yeah the three in the dungeon speak also German, i really like that hope they will never change that, it just love it.

Options
  • Joziah
    Joziah
    There was another quest I did that had a spirit speaking German. I actually enjoy it a lot. I always found it interesting that on a continent with so many different races, everyone speaks English.
    Options
  • cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else notice in the last part of the Wyrd Tree quest line, the voiceover of some of the NPCs was in German? My client is in english, and it only did it for this quest, in fact it was the second to the last quest, where you banish the elementals or whatever they are called.

I kind of liked it that way. Threw me at first. Probably a bug in what voice over they are fetching.

I personally hope they don't fix it if it is a bug. :)
    Options
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    I kind of liked it that way. Threw me at first. Probably a bug in what voice over they are fetching.
    Love file pointer errors.

And, yes, I'd like for it to stay, myself, even if folks who can't understand German go 'what is this crazy moon language these stupid fantasy spirits are using? English, DO YOU SPEAK IT!?"
    Options
  • Jonplummer99b14_ESO
    Kind of cool. The word, Wyrd comes from high German (Wurt) or Saxon (wurd) The meaning relates to "becoming." or realizing one's fate. The German was a good fit :)
    Options
  • NightOwl68
    NightOwl68
    ✭✭
    What is the trick to the boss fight? I seem to get killed quickly.
    Options
  • frank.lindseyub17_ESO
    OMG, so it's not just my client...I was getting ready for a fresh download. But yes the boss fight at the end(as Lvl.8) is almost impossible if you can't understand what they are saying.
    Options
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It totally screwed up my experience in the quest, I can't speak gerry's language.
    Options
  • ArgonianAssassin
    ArgonianAssassin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked it, I felt it was fitting these ancient elemental spirits spoke in a language I don't fully understand
    "It is okay to fear the night, even the bravest warriors are filled with fright, at the sight of the might of Sithis' fang, let the blood be washed away by the rain, let the stains forever remain, another life taken in Sithis' name, another soul for the void. All hail our Dread Father and his consort, the Night Mother." -Stalks-His-Prey
    Options
  • cymatt
    cymatt
    ✭✭✭
    no they speak german
    Options
  • dumbo
    dumbo
    "Mistress of the Lake" in Bangkorai has the same problem in some parts.
    Options
  • brandon
    brandon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel stupid I didn't realize it was German I thought it was a made up language.
    Options
  • Sakara
    Sakara
    ✭✭
    Mistress of the lake still has that problem too. Surely they have got an english voice artist to do those lines...
    Options
  • WhimsyDragon
    WhimsyDragon
    ✭✭✭
    There are various quests with Elementals and they seem to consistently speak in German, which sounds kind of whimsical and fitting as others have pointed out. I thought it was intentional and I rather like it, though it does sometimes feel like subtitles would be useful if what they are saying is relevant information :smile:
    Options
  • Whisper292
    Whisper292
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just the Wyrd Tree quest. I encountered it just the other day somewhere in the Alik'r Desert.
    ---
    Love all, trust few, do wrong to no one. - William Shakespeare
    Options
  • Capjack01
    Capjack01
    loved it, personally. since the text was in english, I wouldn't change a thing.
    Options
  • Korereactor
    Korereactor
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly don't mind it - just so curious if it's intended or not. Maybe someday someone will tell us. Hint Hint ;)
    Options
  • Otaur.Blackfang
    The patch notes for 1.0.7 claim to have fixed this for Guardians quest, but I am still having this issue.
    Edited by Otaur.Blackfang on May 13, 2014 1:05AM
    Options
  • Mishoniko
    Mishoniko
    ✭✭✭
    I file this under Good Bad Bugs, along with the ogre club launching bug from Skyrim. (TO THE MOOOOOOoooooooonn...)

Their speech pattern is distinct enough that it actually helps to locate them during the boss fight where they call out to you. If they were speaking English I'd tend to listen to their words and then process their location from that. With "nonsense" words I just know it by the general sound style, and use the bright glow second. I guess all those years of Nintendo gibberish trained me.
    Options
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to fix this. We didn't pay for a euro version
    Options