The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Wyrd Tree voiceover in German?

Korereactor
Korereactor
✭✭✭
Anyone else notice in the last part of the Wyrd Tree quest line, the voiceover of some of the NPCs was in German? My client is in english, and it only did it for this quest, in fact it was the second to the last quest, where you banish the elementals or whatever they are called.
  • Celdryn
    Celdryn
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was pretty funny. Least you can read what they are saying :)
    Deathrow Inc.
    Talloth Delong: Breton -Sorcerer-Tank
    "For King and Covenant!"
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was intentional to be honest, because it was only the elementals that were speaking in German, therefore I liked it. Hope they don't change it.
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I noticed that too. It was oddly fitting in a certain way but I personally hope they fix it.
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • orablast
    orablast
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed this and thought it was hilarious, although I hope we don't see a habit of this issue. Fortunately the text dialog was still in English.
    Guild Master of Thornblade
    Daggerfall Covenant
  • Heraclea
    Heraclea
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed this as well; didn't find it all that disconcerting, and in fact figured it was intentional, since the critter speaking German was some kind of summoned nature spirit.
    Hircine loves me, this I know,
    Your intestines told me so.

Quæ tam fera immanisque natura? - Cicero
  • dumbo
    dumbo
    Prior to the final Wyyrd tree quest, there's a quest where you summon one of the guardians at an altar "seeking the guardians". The audio for the conversation with that guardian is also in German.

It's certainly a bit weird.
  • DoctorBuzzKill
    I reported that bug in game. If they do leave it, it should say in the text "You translate: " so that they don't get reports about it every day.
  • Egocanemveresum
    Egocanemveresum
    ✭✭✭
    I had it as well, but in the beta it played in English. Since I played the quest so many times in beta, I really did not even pay attention to what they were saying, since I already knew what was going on.
  • psychounz
    psychounz
    ✭✭✭
    At least it's not bugged so that you can't complete it. I wonder if they did it intentionally just to push it through so that people could complete the quest XD
  • Oogaci
    Oogaci
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, all of the Guardians' voice-acting is in German for the entire quest-line. :disappointed:
  • Rytfield
    Rytfield
    ✭✭✭
    I lol'd when I found out xD Just cosmetic luckily.
  • oafinatux8b14_ESO
    The thing that bugs me about it is that when I did the quest in beta, this problem didn't exist. It's normally not a big deal, but in the boss fight at the end, the guardians tell you what to do to not die and you can't understand them because they're speaking German. I had to create a new chat tab with just npc lines so that I could read what they were saying while desperately trying to not die.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just looked at the glowy when they started yelling in German. I figured 'that one glows while the boss makes menacing spellcast movements? I gotta stand near THAT one'.
  • eobethb14_ESO
    eobethb14_ESO
    ✭✭
    I had not done that quest in Beta so I had no idea what was up with the Wyrd Tree boss. I figured they were probably giving hints.....but in German, was not so helpful. Finally I just dropped into a block hold after he dropped me until I saw the effect animation go off. That kept me alive enough to finsh.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm thought it was done on purpose given it fits.
  • CaptainTrips
    CaptainTrips
    ✭✭
    Lol I didn't even realise that they tell you tactics which I suppose didn't really matter as they spoke German which I don't understand - I just saw the boss and zerged him with everything I had and he somehow went down.
  • psychounz
    psychounz
    ✭✭✭
    I knew they were shouting something but I didn't know it was instructions; I didn't have any trouble killing the boss (it went down so fast I don't really even remember the fight), so I'm surprised that people are having trouble. That's not cool that their instructions tell you what needs to be done to help kill the boss. Ah, well, definitely bug reported it at the time; I'm sure we all have.
    Edited by psychounz on April 1, 2014 7:26PM
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, not needs to be done - it just makes it easier. The grab-buildup-uninterruptible damage cast is survivable, but it's just made shades easier when you can stand near a Guardian to avoid the damage entirely.
  • High_Marshal
    High_Marshal
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the German version has them speak in English.
  • Paralyse
    Paralyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was able to understand with my somewhat fail German that the spirits wanted you to come to them immediately and once I figured that out I was able to defeat the baddie. I did get a laugh out of the absurdity of the situation, but at least my rudimentary German allowed me to complete the final encounter :P
    Paralyse, Sanguine's Tester - Enjoying ESO since beta. Trial clears: vSS HM, Crag HM's, vRG Oax HM, vMoL DD, vKA HM, vCR+1, vAS IR, vDSR, vSE
  • Heraclea
    Heraclea
    ✭✭✭
    I just figured, 'if it's hostile and puts something glowy on the ground, avoid it; if it's friendly and puts something glowy on the ground stand in it."
    Hircine loves me, this I know,
    Your intestines told me so.

Quæ tam fera immanisque natura? - Cicero
  • amill1978
    amill1978
    I wonder if they are working on it during the maintenance or if it was intended. lol
  • Slyphoon
    Slyphoon
    Everyone knows elemental spirits speak German.
  • Hackle
    Hackle
    Honestly, I thought it was intentional. I really enjoyed the fact that as Earth Elementals they didn't speak "my language". It simply made sense to me that I wouldn't be able to understand them on an auditory level and would have to have it translated for me.

But then I got into tree, and into the battle, and they started shouting in German once more but without a translated option. That's when I knew it was a 'bug' and not intentional because if it had been intentional I would have assumed there would be a translation box or similar to let (us) know what the Elementals were shouting about. However, it was fairly simple to figure out that once they start shouting that you need to get to them so their "glowing" can insulate and protect you from the majority of damage while you're fighting.

If they keep the German (which I hope they do) the only suggestion I'd have, at this point, is to make a visual cue for the Elemental that starts shouting since the glow doesn't start until the tail end of their yell so (you're) left wasting precious seconds for that "glow" before you start running towards the Elemental that has the protection.

TL;DR - I enjoy the fact that they're speaking another language but would prefer either visual cues or a translation box/popup to let (us) know what they're saying during battle.
    amat victoria curam
  • Kroin
    Kroin
    ✭✭
    The thing that bugs me about it is that when I did the quest in beta, this problem didn't exist. It's normally not a big deal, but in the boss fight at the end, the guardians tell you what to do to not die and you can't understand them because they're speaking German. I had to create a new chat tab with just npc lines so that I could read what they were saying while desperately trying to not die.

Really? you dident saw the glowing light by the guardian, where you had to run?

• korwinthale
    korwinthale
    ✭✭✭
    I almost died first attempt there on live because the guardian was yelling at me to defend the beaches of normandy or something but I couldnt see the light as it was behind me.
    "Still, we have to keep trying and hoping. That's what's important--the trying and the hoping. Maybe that's most important of all."
  • Reventius
    Reventius
    ✭✭
    I thought it was funny as but it fully broke immersion. Das ist nicht gut.
    For The Covenant!

"I made the CV for each
    a character with a story comes to life
    without it, it is like the spoon in the cupboard"

-Azurya
  • mlstevens42_ESO
    mlstevens42_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I noticed that some of the wyrd themselves were speaking German as well. Makes it sort of odd. I could understand if the other factions spoke some other language at some points. Not because they do not know a language you would know but because they can. However all of the elves nearby were speaking in English.
  • Ivywreath
    Ivywreath
    Freaking love that they speak German (which I don't speak, myself). I hope they keep it.
  • Moon_Witch
    Moon_Witch
    Soul Shriven
    I kinda liked it. I think it made them more interesting and at first I thought it was a made up language until I recognized a word or two. lol.