Cost of hiring a crafter who has all motifs

Kuratla
Kuratla
✭✭✭
So in one of my trade guilds, a crafter said that he had all motifs and could make any blacksmithing gear you could want.

Since I'm a crafter myself and I can make gear, but I lack the advanced motifs, I asked him how much for a full set of Primal gear if I sent him every mat. The argentum (sp?), the calc ingots, the trait gems. I could improve it and enchant it myself afterwards.

He quoted me 3,000 gold. I told him that I'd think about it. All he would need to do is just get the mats from me, make the items, and give back to me and earn 3000 gold for about a couple of minutes of work.

Potentially he bought the Primal motif book and is looking for a return on the cost of that book.

What's our opinion? Is 3000 gold fair to "borrow" his motif style? Too much? About right? Too cheap?
V14 Templar Argonian Healer, V12 DK Orc Tank, V2 Sorcerer High Elf DPS, V1 Templar Breton DPS, V1 Nightblade Bosmer DPS, and 3 low levels.

Check out my ESO journal["http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/66004/kuratla-s-eso-journal"]
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You see, it is not for the "couple of minutes of work", it is for the time he spent farming these motifs or for the gold he spent buying it.
    I think it is fair, I've seen people asking for much more and let's face it, 3k is pretty much nothing. I would consider it a generous tip.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
    Options
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As said above. I don't think the price is too bad considering he has gone the trouble of getting the motifs. Also if he has all the traits then getting all the gear and researched. So done quite a work before getting to where he is. 3k is not much.

Personally I'm aiming towards all traits too and eventually all motifs and it is not walk in the park.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Options
  • Kuratla
    Kuratla
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for those responses, guys. I understand the time / money invested in the crafting process and also the desire to see a return. Personally, for my main guild, I would craft for free as long as they gave me the mats. For a trade guild, that's a different story. I would look for some profit. This is making me consider buying an advanced motif the next time I see someone selling one....
    V14 Templar Argonian Healer, V12 DK Orc Tank, V2 Sorcerer High Elf DPS, V1 Templar Breton DPS, V1 Nightblade Bosmer DPS, and 3 low levels.

Check out my ESO journal["http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/66004/kuratla-s-eso-journal"]
    Options
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a crafter, however I do use crafted items. I figured that it does cost quite a bit of gold and time to make someone something. I try and support crafters so I make sure to pay a fair price for their time. I dont overly fret about gold, because I know that ESO will make more.
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
    Options
  • AreoHotah
    AreoHotah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is an ok price for a full set
    Hota'h, Dual-wield/bow full medium armor NB Khajiit from day 1.

https://imageshack.com/i/p2rF313Qj/b]
    Options
  • Inco
    Inco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea.. 3k seems a barely "too high". I've got all of Motifs myself and level 50 on three crafts Blacksmith, Clothing and Woodworking. Yes I paid almost 100k for those I didn't have.

If you need anything just ping me in game (NA Server) on @Inco‌ and I'll gladly make anything for mats plus a tip you feel is fair. (1k for a set is okay by me, unless you have me going all over the map for crafted sets. Add 1k for them)

Biggest benefit is crafters making GREEN & BLUE for least amount of improvement mats (IE: Hemming/Embroid)... maxed out 3 points and you get green for 2 green level upgrades.
    Options
  • kreekitb16_ESO
    kreekitb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Few minutes of time for you waiting and a few minutes for the crafter doing the run to the crafting Station, craft the Stuff and send it back... for 3k Gold i wouldnt even think about abandoning whatever i am doing right now.

Well maybe if i am Standing at the Forge atm and getting asked, else the time involved crafting is not only the time spent at the Station.
    Same Thing o think about my Vamp Bite, for 5k Gold i am not disrupting my playtime so YOU can get what you want. Just not worth it imo...
    Other think different on this, hence you can get a Set crafted for 1k (see above me) but if you want my Services you have to compensate me.

So to the OP: yes 3k is an ok Price as he offered to do it :)
    PS: Primal Heavy is ugly :)
    Options
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    Pfft, 3k is nothing. Especially for primal gear.
    Options
  • Lupinemw
    Lupinemw
    ✭✭✭
    See if you were in my guild I'd do this for free if you were supplying the Mats. Thats the whole idea of a decent guild you support each other and help each other advance along.
    Edited by Lupinemw on May 8, 2014 8:06AM
    Elysium
    EU Casual Mature Daggerfall Covenant Guild

Would you like to know more?! Check us out below
    elysium-eso.guildlaunch.com
    Options
  • krees28b14_ESO
    krees28b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Lupinemw wrote: »
    See if you were in my guild I'd do this for free if you were supplying the Mats. Thats the whole idea of a decent guild you support each other and help each other advance along.

Normally I would agree with this statement but is the guild a trading guild or is this a guild that the OP is in with friends and such? Makes a world of difference because a trading guild is all about making money, that's what it is for. But, 3k is nothing in this game so I would say that price is fair.
    Options
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Too much. I would do it for 500 if I had the motif unlocked. Personally I never charge people for crafting something if they provide the materials, if they give me a tip thats fine, if they dont its also fine. People expect way too much return for something as easy as levelling crafting in this game.
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
    Options
  • Kililin
    Kililin
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is this cheater able to craft full 8 trait sets?
    Kuratla wrote: »
    So in one of my trade guilds, a crafter said that he had all motifs and could make any blacksmithing gear you could want.

3k for rare pattern is ok, it is really just an compensation for spending the time to craft you something.
    Edited by Kililin on May 8, 2014 1:38PM
    Options
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's unreasonable, I wouldn't pay it, but that's me.

Now if you have him making a full set of gear with specific set bonuses (i.e ashen grip, seducer etc.) I would charge 1000-1500gp for each of those since I have to actually travel there.

Again in a traditional guild it's free, but in a trade that is a reasonable profit for a straight set from the general forge.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
    Options
  • Beryl
    Beryl
    ✭✭✭
    What's our opinion? Is 3000 gold fair to "borrow" his motif style? Too much? About right? Too cheap?

Interesting to see how opinions vary even in this topic :) I personally would not pay that much for his service, nor would I charge anyone who wants me to craft something of a rare style. I do not consider obtaining a motif as an achievement which should be rewarded, even though I had to buy most of my motifs. Never found the rare ones myself. It is pure luck or farming, nothing to pay for.

Paying to a crafter who has 5+ traits per item for crafted sets is a different story. That requires time and patience, can't be cheated and does not depend on luck. For this I would pay, though I still would not ask money for offering such service myself.
    Options
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭

Since I'm a crafter myself and I can make gear, but I lack the advanced motifs, I asked him how much for a full set of Primal gear if I sent him every mat. The argentum (sp?), the calc ingots, the trait gems. I could improve it and enchant it myself afterwards.

He quoted me 3,000 gold. I told him that I'd think about it. All he would need to do is just get the mats from me, make the items, and give back to me and earn 3000 gold for about a couple of minutes of work.

Potentially he bought the Primal motif book and is looking for a return on the cost of that book.

It's worth whatever you're willing to pay. How badly do you want the items?

Does not matter how much time it takes to make the items. Even if it's 3 minutes. You have no idea what he might have had to do to get that motif...maybe it is the result of endless hours of farming, or grinding gold to buy it. Or maybe he just got lucky.

The market decides the value for it, not the time he puts into it. If you cannot get these items any cheaper anywhere else, and you want them badly, then 3000GP seems like a bargain to me. Much cheaper than buying the motif yourself or spending the time to grind for it.
    Options
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The crafter has a skill you don't. You are paying for his service. You can shop around for another crafter but I bet there are not many around as of yet that may have the same skill he has to make the set you want. So its about how much are you willing to pay for the set. It doesnt matter how short of a time it takes him to do it. Its the work he put in to achieve the level of crafting he is at. 3k is cheap, he should charge 1k per piece.
    Options
  • Lupinemw
    Lupinemw
    ✭✭✭
    Normally I would agree with this statement but is the guild a trading guild or is this a guild that the OP is in with friends and such? Makes a world of difference because a trading guild is all about making money, that's what it is for. But, 3k is nothing in this game so I would say that price is fair.

Its a social/friendly guild. PPL know from the start its a give and take system if they want to stay. So far no one has left.

Elysium
    EU Casual Mature Daggerfall Covenant Guild

Would you like to know more?! Check us out below
    elysium-eso.guildlaunch.com
    Options
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put way too much time into leveling a set of crafters. Just the bank juggling takes at least a half hour a day. I will make my stuff and stuff for my family and friends but everyone else will have to pony up.

3000g seems like a deal for that.
    Options
  • Kuratla
    Kuratla
    ✭✭✭
    Kililin wrote: »
    How is this cheater able to craft full 8 trait sets?

3k for rare pattern is ok, it is really just an compensation for spending the time to craft you something.

Pretty sure he meant any level up to VR10 and any motif, not any craftable set gear. Not enough time has passed in the game for people to have even just 1 eight-trait item researched.

Options
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    too much gold for some clicks on the screen, now if he supplied the items to craft it .. then ok. elsewise ...a polite decline is in order
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
    Options
  • Vandril
    Vandril
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen some crafters selling certain designs for 1k per piece, your mats. This deal is the best I've seen, yet.
    Options
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any rare motifs, but I typically craft for free in MMOs if it costs me nothing but a minute of my time. 3k to click a few buttons is ridiculous.
    Options
  • lynzriches
    lynzriches
    ✭✭✭
    Meh if I was the crafter in question I'd probably do it for free, but that's just me. I enjoy crafting anyway so it's no big deal. I've spent the time learning/researching for my own use already so I don't think of crafting for others at a profit as trying to recoup costs. Pay it forward is all I'd say if you asked me to craft something for you!
    @lynzriches | PC | NA | Master Crafter w/70+ motifs
    Options
  • Sneakyfool
    Sneakyfool
    ✭✭✭
    reggielee wrote: »
    too much gold for some clicks on the screen, now if he supplied the items to craft it .. then ok. elsewise ...a polite decline is in order

Yes but It's not just a few clicks is it, yes to craft those specific items - but your paying for the time and effort he's put into being able to make those items.

Yes he could craft them for free since you are supplying the mats, however why should he? Most people only craft for free for guild and friends.

I honestly don't understand some people, you would begrudge someone a measly 3k, which is a good deal btw because your cheap with your money or because morally you would do it for free. pfft.

Remember most people learn a craft so they can earn money, if you don't like paying for something then don't that's your choice. The alternative tho is spending 75k+ on a Motiff and weeks of research and mats to do it yourself. Personally I think paying the 3k to save yourself the bother is a good deal.

Options
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭

That is a decent deal for a full set. However at the same time you could easily find someone who would do it for 1-2k in chat. Especially since you are supplying all the mats. I've got the Daedric motif, if you ever want a full set of daedric for 1k, just send the mats and I'll make it for you. @Private_Parts
    Options
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    If a price is involved then it is a busimess transaction. Forget your guilds and your priorities, this guy is business. So lets continue from that standpoint. Taake your car to the shop, ask them to replace your whatever with a new whatever you already have purchased. They dont charge you for the part but you still pay them. You pay them for time. What determines how much over how long? It is determined by their skill and expertise. Essentially you are paying for them to get the job done quickly and efficiently. So the real way to look at it is this; is 3k gold equal to the amount of time and effort into leveling your crafting skill and gathering the motif to do it yourself?
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
    Options
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of you guys really like to take a pretty simple question and really complicate the hell out of it.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Options
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of you guys really like to take a pretty simple question and really complicate the hell out of it.

Agreed! Its simple.
    To the OP: The crafter doesn't have to make you anything. Pay his price or take a walk.

Edited by Potenza on May 9, 2014 6:55PM
    Options
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right.

Clearly you felt it was a little high since you questioned it here. The general consensus is that the price is not out of hand.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Options
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Give a man a fish....

PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
    Options