The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Get Rid of Portal Mechanics

RebornV3x
RebornV3x
✭✭✭✭✭
I despise any type of portal mechanics why does every new trial have some portal mechanics. Was trying to do Vet Cloudrest the other night and it just takes too much team coordination to do right. Its a pain to do these trials can we get rid of all portal mechanics going forward its annoying and not fun a whole run ruined because either the dps didn't slot a self heal or we didn't send the spear down in time. Splitting groups into 2 or 3 man teams and going to places completely away from the rest of the group is bad.

In dungeons just takes everything out of enjoying the content looking at something like The Dread Cellar lets stop what we doing and interrupt the fight to go kill a thing in a portal and then comeback and ugh hate it get rid of this.
Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • RealLoveBVB
    RealLoveBVB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RebornV3x wrote: »
    Was trying to do Vet Cloudrest the other night and it just takes too much team coordination to do right.

Exactly this makes trials attractive.

I am glad there isn't just a "stack and burn" mech.

• fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Was trying to do Vet Cloudrest the other night and it just takes too much team coordination to do right.

Exactly this makes trials attractive.

I am glad there isn't just a "stack and burn" mech.

Agree completely! I like that DDs have a specific role to play beyond 'hit things as hard as you can'
    Soupy twist
  • Elric_665
    Elric_665
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't want to play any kind of Mechanic, stick to Fungal Grotto 1 and Aetherian Archive.
    "If it bleeds, we can kill it!"
    Major „Dutch“ Schaefer

PvP nur, wenn es sich absolut nicht vermeiden läßt.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The ''portal'' mechanics have always been my favorite since I started playing, especially backyard in MOL and the one in Cloudrest. I always love volunteering to do them.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does place reliance on a few DDs (very annoying when you’re doing a vcr3 or gs) but what else could you do.

I guess the only thing left is to have a trail where a specific class skill is needed - let’s hope they don’t think of that one
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was trying to do Vet Cloudrest the other night and it just takes too much team coordination to do right. Its a pain to do these trials can we get rid of all portal mechanics going forward its annoying and not fun a whole run ruined because either the dps didn't slot a self heal or we didn't send the spear down in time.

The whole point of a trial is to have team coordination and to make sure everyone knows their roles & what is expected of them - it’s a team effort, from the support roles to the max dps guys.

I am glad there is more to trials than just stack & burn, and mechanics are part of the whole package.

Find a trial guild & they should help you get vCR. There are some lovely ones out there.
  • moderatelyfatman
    moderatelyfatman
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind portal mechanics as long as it fits the story. I like how KA has the boat mechanics where players need to kill the boss on the boat or he'll spawn in more adds.

I guess it's a fine balance because I really don't like gratuitous mechanics: mechs put in place for the sake of making a challenge rather than having a context to the battle. I really don't like the music room mechs in SE but I do enjoy the portal mechs on the last boss.
  • Remathilis
    Remathilis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind portals except for VSSHM. That crap is overtuned
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cloudrest is team coordination: the trial. Between dropping hoarfrost, portals (going in after tank, doing correct portal, having self heal), stacking for flares, barswapping for voltaic overload, running for shards, killing creepers…
    There’s nothing in there that doesn’t require team coordination and that’s what makes it one of the most fun trials, it’s difficult but doable.

AS and DSR are similar in needing team coordination, though AS doesn’t have a “portal”. The trials that don’t require coordination are noticeably easier and more boring.
    Edited by Soarora on March 26, 2024 4:14PM
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • CoronHR
    CoronHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love cloudrest. i love portal mechanics. sorry!
    PC - EU - Steam client
  • ShadowPaladin
    ShadowPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry Reborn, but I am seeing it as the others here. If you only want to do some *pew* *pew* *pew* and be done with it thingy, then you should NOT do trials on vet or vet/hm in the first place. The whole reason for those trials (trial modes) existing is, that players have something to do where they NEED TO PLAY TOGETHER in a COORDINATED way!

Btw., if you find the mechs in ESO troubling, try playing an asian MMO (eg. AION). Without coordinated teamplay you won't get any group content done in those games :blush: !!!
  • Reginald_leBlem
    Reginald_leBlem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Op is right to hate portals, but is hating them for the wrong reason.

Lately every trial has had a portal mechanic. VSE has not one, not two, but THREE SEPERATE portal mechanics.

And, I like some portals, but at this point, can't we have something else? And by something else I do NOT mean another dang circle mechanic, please and thank you.
    Portals were new and fun in vCR, they were no longer new but still fun in vSS, however now they are no longer new or particularly fun and it's time to move on and find some other way to prevent the dds from developing parse monkey syndrome.
  • Galiferno
    Galiferno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tank "solo" vCR portals by running the orbs after they're exposed while the lone DPS just focuses on destroying the crystals and going back up. If you are failing to do vCR portals, it is not an unfair difficulty issue. It seems you and your groups need to practice more.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Op is right to hate portals, but is hating them for the wrong reason.

Lately every trial has had a portal mechanic. VSE has not one, not two, but THREE SEPERATE portal mechanics.

And, I like some portals, but at this point, can't we have something else? And by something else I do NOT mean another dang circle mechanic, please and thank you.
    Portals were new and fun in vCR, they were no longer new but still fun in vSS, however now they are no longer new or particularly fun and it's time to move on and find some other way to prevent the dds from developing parse monkey syndrome.

basically this there everywhere but in dungeons its annoying too just stop fighting boss and go into portal just takes the fun out it portal mechs in 4 mans isn't fun.

funnily enough I don't mind the portal mechs in VSE the maze is a cool setup and then the other before having the puzzle inside and the fact that people can come into your portal and help after they do there portals are portals done right but Cloudrest, Sunspire are bad examples of portals and how not to do them.

I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    because either the dps didn't slot a self heal or we didn't send the spear down in time.

Expecting DD's to slot a self heal before entering an area without a healer has nothing to do with coordination. It just requires common sense and a basic understanding of what they are supposed to do.
    Likewise, expecting a healer or another DD to keep an eye on spears and press x has nothing to do with coordination. It's just requires basic understanding of the mechanics.
    Veteran Trials are more than just tank'n'spank and that's a good thing.
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • no1care
    no1care
    Soul Shriven
    If we just got rid of all mechanics in the game period, then people could feel like super hereos and have all the rewards without having to put any effort into it at all.

...which would be awful.

Honestly, I would love more mechanics that can't be ignored in this game. After you play for long enough, only hard mode of anything (trials, vet dungeons) seems to offer any challenge at all and even a lot of that is repetitive/boring once you learn and do it a couple times.

So really I would say just learn the mechanics and practice with a team who doesn't expect everything to just work the first few tries without any strategy and adapting to the situation. The game would be very dull without these things for most people, seriously.
  • Reginald_leBlem
    Reginald_leBlem
    ✭✭✭✭
    no1care wrote: »
    If we just got rid of all mechanics in the game period, then people could feel like super hereos and have all the rewards without having to put any effort into it at all.

...which would be awful.

Honestly, I would love more mechanics that can't be ignored in this game. After you play for long enough, only hard mode of anything (trials, vet dungeons) seems to offer any challenge at all and even a lot of that is repetitive/boring once you learn and do it a couple times.

So really I would say just learn the mechanics and practice with a team who doesn't expect everything to just work the first few tries without any strategy and adapting to the situation. The game would be very dull without these things for most people, seriously.

I am all for mechanics, I personally am just finding portals overdone.
  • KekwLord3000
    KekwLord3000
    ✭✭
    You literally want to take the only skill required in the trial and remove it basically making it vas 2.0? lol
    CR is is like 5 year old content nowadays good groups do 0 portals, 2-3 years ago the top of the top barely managed to do it now it's very accessible.
    Slotting a single heal isn't a big deal you have 10 skills allocating 1 for mechanic isn't a huge dps loss.
    Also funnily enough portal is the easiest part of CR most of the chaos is ups airs anyways.
  • kevkj
    kevkj
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only one that is kind of silly is Vrol in Kyne's Aegis. I'm not sure how it was on release since I only got into trials around High Isle but it's a real lame duck of a portal. There's some guy on a boat who is so weak you don't even want to waste a ballista shot on, you just pop into a magic portal and beat his fairly low health ass without breaking a sweat. It's quite literally simply an inconvenience rather than being an actual mechanic any group worries about.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like mechanics like this, the fact that it takes coordination is what makes it so interesting, without them the fights would be like parsing in a dummy. Group trials are supposed to be challenging and have a degree of cooperation and coordination, it's what separates them from other content. And since you mentioned vCR, I think it's an example of a portal mechanic designed in a super cool way because it's not just up to the portal people, but also the people outside for the mechanic to be completed.
  • ShatteredRose6
    HUH
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kevkj wrote: »
    The only one that is kind of silly is Vrol in Kyne's Aegis. I'm not sure how it was on release since I only got into trials around High Isle but it's a real lame duck of a portal. There's some guy on a boat who is so weak you don't even want to waste a ballista shot on, you just pop into a magic portal and beat his fairly low health ass without breaking a sweat. It's quite literally simply an inconvenience rather than being an actual mechanic any group worries about.

Like most other portals in the game, good/high damage groups skip it entirely.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Portal mechs in dungeons shouldn't be a thing period its annoying and disruptive not really hard ie like last boss of The Dread Cellar.

I don't really mind portals in trials as long as 4 or more people are allowed through any portal mech that need 3 or less is distracting and just unnecessary especially Cloudrest there's so much stuff going on already on top of the portal stuff if you want hard just do +2 or +3

Portal mechs are a crutch and lazy at this stage of this game
    ESO dev be like:" like hur dur how we make this trial harder"
    other dev" just add a portal and put 3 pinecones in it that if they don't collect in exactly 8.3 seconds will uninstall the game after death."
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elric_665 wrote: »
    If you don't want to play any kind of Mechanic, stick to Fungal Grotto 1 and Aetherian Archive.

Wait, Fungal Grotto 1 has no mechanics? Then what am I paying attention to during the Goblin chief fight and the final boss fight? How are you defining "mechanic" if you don't consider FG1 to have any mecganics? Being powerful or healthy enough to ignore certain mechanics is one thing, but that doesn't mean the mechanics you were able to ignore didn't exist.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Elric_665 wrote: »

Wait, Fungal Grotto 1 has no mechanics? Then what am I paying attention to during the Goblin chief fight and the final boss fight? How are you defining "mechanic" if you don't consider FG1 to have any mecganics? Being powerful or healthy enough to ignore certain mechanics is one thing, but that doesn't mean the mechanics you were able to ignore didn't exist.

functionally speaking those arent really mechanics lol

the goblin chief has the one aoe attack, but thats about it, and its dmg is so low that even on vet is pretty ignorable

kragh on vet HM the only "mechanic" it has is "dont stand in red" and you can successfully clear it

i think the point people are making is that a mechanic as simple as "dont stand in red" is too simple

while i think the OP point is making is that a "full group wipe if you dont do X fast enough" is not fun because it gets frustrating

i personally think the portal mechanic in cloudrest has way too short of a timer, but dont think it should be removed entirely, like i get the point of the portals, but i dont like the bizarrely short timers on them, there is 0 room to learn or make mistakes because oops now the group wipes if you are trying to learn, and repeat wiping is an exercise in frustration.

so i dont think that the mechanic should be removed, i think it should just be a little less punishing

as others have noted, good very high dps groups can skip the mechanic entirely
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mechanics characterize every single trial, and their complexity makes the challenge attractive. So portals and difficulties to overcome challenges are welcome.
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • RealLoveBVB
    RealLoveBVB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really mind portals in trials as long as 4 or more people are allowed through any portal mech that need 3 or less is distracting and just unnecessary especially Cloudrest there's so much stuff going on already on top of the portal stuff if you want hard just do +2 or +3

Portals are, what +2 or +3 makes vCR hard. Because the remaining players have to deal with the mechs. Stacking fire is more difficult, because you have less players to stack with etc.

If you remove portals from vCR, then you have exactly this, what I mentioned in the 2nd comment: stack and burn.