The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

NG+ Curse

NoSoup
NoSoup
✭✭✭✭
So I've had this weird and wacky idea that the more I think about it, the less weird and wacky it becomes. Having been playing since Beta I've seen a lot of good players come and go. Unfortunately I would say I've now seen more players go than come. One of the biggest gripes amongst my social circle that don't play anymore is that the game just isn't challenging enough. You can only do the same dungeons and trials so many times before they become stale and the overland content is nowhere near challenging enough to be entertaining. Now I know this last bit is a bit like beating a dead horse and there have been countless threads on it. I get it, it's tough to balance content around "end game" players and new players. But that's where the idea of a NG+ curse comes into play.

Introduce a curse to the game to manage these pain points in a similar fashion to battle spirit, except the curse can be cleansed (like vampire/werewolf) if necessary. I think you could take it as far as tieing it to rewards by completing storyline quests while cursed and maybe even increasing the effects of the curse as you collect more of the rewards.

This is just a fairly basic idea of the concept of the curse to convey the idea and I'm sure this community could add better ideas for possible effects of the curse.

But to get started let's say that:

The curse causes all incoming damage to be quadrupled.
The curse breaks your bonds to soul gems preventing you from being resurrected outside of a wayshrine
The curse consumes all your armor's durability on death.
The curse consumes x stamina when sprinting.

I'm sure there's a ton more options that could be applied to make overland content more difficult and entertaining. This is something that could be easily scaled and expanded on too by adding unique achievements for completing delves, public dungeons and even 4 man dungeons while being cursed.  
Formally SirDopey, lost forum account during the great reset.....
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    If we also could have separate instances that would be great
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Optional item that people can use to increase the difficulty of overland sure, better rewards for using the item no.

I can't help but see that as a contradiction, people say they want the harder difficulty for the challenge/make overland more engaging, yet say, that challenge isn't worthwhile without some kind of reward, I thought the bump in difficulty was suppose to be your reward.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A 200+ page thread on this topic isn't enough?
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • ikzaa
    ikzaa
    ✭✭✭
    What about this weird and wacky idea:

Play with your feet and blindfold one eye.

That would be difficult and a challenge.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ikzaa wrote: »

I play with one eye(left one doesn't work) and carpal tunnel, does that count?
  • ikzaa
    ikzaa
    ✭✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »

I tried with one eye and I can't, you sir... you are on another level.

I don't know what carpal tunnel is but it sounds fishy, and i'm very lazy to google.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know what carpal tunnel is but it sounds fishy, and i'm very lazy to google.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is a debilitating and painful issue with the wrist joints. Surgery is the preferred method of "fixing" it, but fails as often as it mitigates the issue.

It's a Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI). Being an RSI, it can cause serious problems for people who play computer games, or in some instances, simply use a mouse and keyboard for many hours over days and years.

My sister deals with it as she has other health issues which make her a not ideal candidate for surgery.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/carpal-tunnel-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20355603

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The best idea and easiest to implement I have ever seen would be if ZOS introduced de-buff food and drinks in varying degrees. Something that would reduce all resource pools, crit chance, weapon/peel damage, resistance, etc. This way, it would be easy to add and get rid of at the same time.

Stay safe :)
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of proposals about easy solutions don't account the people who actually want(ed) such changes to happen. If solution doesn't sound like it can be presented to a long gone ESO player and have reaction like "oh damn, sounds fun, guess it might be time to come back!" it probably not worth it. Imo.
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    The best idea and easiest to implement I have ever seen would be if ZOS introduced de-buff food and drinks in varying degrees. Something that would reduce all resource pools, crit chance, weapon/peel damage, resistance, etc. This way, it would be easy to add and get rid of at the same time.

I’ve never got the opinion that people want to make something intentionally harder .

• Kite42
    Kite42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NG+ ?
  • loosej
    loosej
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kite42 wrote: »
    NG+ ?

New Game Plus, it's a thing apparently.

Maybe I'm missing something, but there is the option to run white non-set gear with no enchants, have no passive skill lines, no buff food eaten, and no attribute points spent, wouldn't that increase the difficulty enough?
  • Kite42
    Kite42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How would NG+ work in a persistent MMO?

Nope, next idea, and if you'd be kind enough to drop it in the skip stickied mega post that would be swell.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MJallday wrote: »
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »

I’ve never got the opinion that people want to make something intentionally harder .

Uh. You might like to read the 200 page stickied thread about overland difficulty.... quite a few people want overland much more difficult. Not me, but others in the thread do.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • ikzaa
    ikzaa
    ✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

Carpal tunnel syndrome is a debilitating and painful issue with the wrist joints. Surgery is the preferred method of "fixing" it, but fails as often as it mitigates the issue.

It's a Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI). Being an RSI, it can cause serious problems for people who play computer games, or in some instances, simply use a mouse and keyboard for many hours over days and years.

My sister deals with it as she has other health issues which make her a not ideal candidate for surgery.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/carpal-tunnel-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20355603

I see, it sounds like a very annoying thing, I always learn something new with you Mrs. @TaSheen

but every time i learn something new i forget something old...

Anyhoo, thank you!
    Edited by ikzaa on March 29, 2024 6:54PM
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play without armor. Thank me later.
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I'm in the mood for uber hard difficulty I do this:
    - Pick a zone, any will do. (Yes, even Cyro)
    - Port\travel to the center of the zone, or as close as you can get.
    - Strip off all gear, (clothing optional) but no sets, jewels or weaps.
    - Close your eyes, spin your mouse so you don't know what direction your facing.
    - Start running. Try to run for at least 20 seconds moving or jumping to keep your self going.
    - When you hear your footfalls stop, open you eyes!
    - Deal with whatever made you stop running.
    -
    Sometimes it's mobs, or a nice world boss, sometimes it's a cliff, or LAVA!
    Or slaughterfish!!

Very exciting, also pretty tough to survive let me tell ya.
    Edited by Tenthirty2 on March 29, 2024 9:19PM
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)