Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New tormentor set with nightblade? Anyone test?

Keystroke
Keystroke
✭✭✭
Hey everyone! While I am dissatisfied with the changes to tormentor set, I’m curious if anyone has gotten a chance to test this set and its changes on PTS. The set has been updated to heal based on a percentage of damage that the ability used to proc the set does.

I’m curious if the nightblade ability lotus fan which is a blink with an AOE sticky dot works to proc this, and more specifically, if you can chain this ability to affect multiple mobs with different casts and continue healing from the full duration of each sticky dot.

Also curious what other abilities might “work well” with this change. Two handed ability stampede is a good ground dot, but can only have one instance of it out at a time (and does the dot work with the healing or just the initial impact?).
  • bar_boss_A
    bar_boss_A
    ✭✭✭
    Read carefully:
    • This set now only taunts the first enemy hit by the ability that activates the set, rather than taunting any and all enemies hit by the ability. Due to this change, the set can now trigger off blinks, such as Streak.
    • This set now also heals for 45% of all damage done from the ability that activates the set.
    Lotus fan applies a single target DoT (which should get the healing) in an area around the caster. So no need to chain this ability. Same with stampede.
  • Keystroke
    Keystroke
    ✭✭✭
    bar_boss_A wrote: »
    Lotus fan applies a single target DoT (which should get the healing) in an area around the caster. So no need to chain this ability. Same with stampede.

Regarding chaining the ability, I’m specifically asking if the new “instance” would override the old one. If I used lotus fan to charge into a pack of mobs, hit the dot on them, and then charge to another pack of mobs across the room, will I be getting the healing from the sticky dot on all of the mobs in both packs?

Due to the way stampede works, if I were to repeat above, it would move the ground dot to the new location, so can’t chain it in the way I’m describing.

And then of course, there’s how we / the devs describe it should work, and then there’s how it actually works in game, bugs and all.

My worry is nobody has tried this set at all.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just tested this, it only works from the initial direct damage hit, not any portion of the dot. It would be completely busted if it did.

You'll most likely want to use an aoe skill like Stampede or Streak because you can hit more than 1 enemy for a stronger burst heal, instead of Lotus Fan or Shield Charge which only hit 1 enemy.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This still means I'm going to end up having to spam Lotus Fan more in order to taunt mobs and that's just too expensive. I'm going to just have to go back to boring pierce armor to make sure I can afford to use a taunt more often.
  • Keystroke
    Keystroke
    ✭✭✭
    Just tested this, it only works from the initial direct damage hit, not any portion of the dot. It would be completely busted if it did.

You'll most likely want to use an aoe skill like Stampede or Streak because you can hit more than 1 enemy for a stronger burst heal, instead of Lotus Fan or Shield Charge which only hit 1 enemy.

Do we think this is a bug or by design? Why wouldn’t the dot component of the ability be included since it specifically says % of ALL damage done by the ability?

Devs should clarify intention, and either update the description to indicate it’s only from the direct damage portion of a charge ability, OR fix it to work with dot damage components of charge abilities.

This gets even more complicated with grimoires coming, since we can add leaps and dots and such to skills. Are those going to function as “procs” under “procs can’t proc procs” rules?

Complete refactor of a set without a clear design intention. I’m curious, in either variation of this set, who is it for? It’s a heavy armor set, with a taunt, that heals you based on offensive stats (from ability damage)? As a tank, that’s basically nothing lol. And if they scale the healing to be meaningful to a tank, a player in PVP is gonna get mega healing from it. Add in the dot interaction… yikes.

If we gonna take the time to change this set let’s get it right.

As an aside, whenever they make changes to sets, they should allow you to decon them for bonus transmutes or something else to compensate since I have to remake my characters that use this set now.
  • bar_boss_A
    bar_boss_A
    ✭✭✭
    Keystroke wrote: »

Regarding chaining the ability, I’m specifically asking if the new “instance” would override the old one. If I used lotus fan to charge into a pack of mobs, hit the dot on them, and then charge to another pack of mobs across the room, will I be getting the healing from the sticky dot on all of the mobs in both packs?

Well every sticky DoT can exist once on every target and the description of the set says every tick heals you. But as @MashmalloMan tested it does not work as described.
    Keystroke wrote: »
    Do we think this is a bug or by design? Why wouldn’t the dot component of the ability be included since it specifically says % of ALL damage done by the ability?

Well either the description is wrong or it is a bug. I hope it is the second - would make for a new way to play in PvP and PvE.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    bar_boss_A wrote: »
    Well either the description is wrong or it is a bug. I hope it is the second - would make for a new way to play in PvP and PvE.

No way, it's definitely not a bug, this is a tooltip description error.

It should say 45% of direct damage dealt, not all damage dealt.

45% of all damage dealt, including dots would be game breaking. If they allowed that, it would need to lower to like 5% and that would completely deflate the use cases for non dot based charge skills like Shield Charge. It's just not possible to balance properly if they included it.

All charge skills basically deal the same upfront damage which is why a high flat value like 45% is even allowed. It is technically stronger on aoe charge skills than non aoe, but it doesn't make it broken because it costs a GCD and enemies to be stacked.

I don't want to speak for ZOS, they can and should clarify, but logically speaking, I'm 99% sure they wouldn't be this silly to make a set that broken.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • bar_boss_A
    bar_boss_A
    ✭✭✭
    Not so sure it is as broken as you make it sound. Remember the change to vampire mist form? The 100% heal was overtuned - now it stays at 45%. Coincidence?

In comparison blood mist ticks for 30% more damage than lotus fan, but lotus fan is sticky and thus has an infinite area of effect.

Stampede ticks for roughly 60% damage but every second. It is a stationary AoE though.

For both you sacrifice a 5-piece bonus. Comparable 5-pice boni would be siphoning plate and vicecannon.

So I find two things which could be problematic:
    • The sticky part of lotus fan, which is currently the weakest DoT in the game being applicable to lot's of people. This could be problematic in PvP. But to achieve this you would have to reapply this ability to anyone you meet as it is not as fire-and-forgettey as blood mist.
    • stacking these (true) life leeching effects. blood mist + stampede + lotus fan has troll tank features. But that is a lot of barspace to give up.