The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Trouble with Steam?

AngryOldMan
AngryOldMan
✭✭✭✭
The game cant establish connection with Steam, so I cant log in atm. Im on PC EU. Anyone else experiencing this?
Edited by ZOS_Bill on February 20, 2024 9:29PM
  • ZOS_Kraken
    @AngryOldMan Are you getting an error message?
    Staff Post
  • AngryOldMan
    AngryOldMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got the message "Unable to connect with Steam". After 5th time with that message I tried to switch to NA-server and suddently I logged in on NA. When I switchet back to EU I was able to log in after being queued for 5 seconds
  • prof_doom
    prof_doom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same on US NA server.

Login Error:
    Unable to initialize connection Steam. Please ensure the game was launched through Steam or try again later.
    Steam seems to be up, and yes, I did launch it with Steam.
    Edited by prof_doom on February 17, 2024 10:41PM
  • ZOS_Kraken
    We do have some troubleshooting steps for this issue located here:

LOGIN ERROR: UNABLE TO INITIALIZE CONNECTION TO STEAM
    Staff Post
  • Logos
    Logos
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kraken wrote: »
    @AngryOldMan Are you getting an error message?

I'm getting the same error message, have gone through the steps and more and I still get it. It's the first time it has ever happened to me.
  • ZOS_Kraken
    If you are still having the issue, you will contact Support for further assistance.
    Staff Post
  • WaywardArgonian
    WaywardArgonian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting the same issue, both PC/EU and PC/NA. Tried the steps mentioned in the article linked but I can't get it to work.
    PC/EU altaholic | Smallscale & ballgroup healer | Former Empanada of Ravenwatch | @ degonyte in-game | Nibani Ilath-Pal (AD Nightblade) - AvA rank 50 | Jehanne Teymour (AD Sorcerer) - AvA rank 50 | Niria Ilath-Pal (AD Templar) - AvA rank 50
  • illusiouk
    illusiouk
    ✭✭✭
    Can't log on, same issue. Tried the support page and the offline method. Still no luck.
  • Logos
    Logos
    ✭✭
    Fully restarting the PC worked for me and a friend that was having the same issue.
  • M1SHAAN
    M1SHAAN
    ✭✭✭
    I also have been having this issue the last ~day or so, I'm on PC NA. However for me it's intermittent and sometimes just trying to log in again fixes the issue.
  • Punitio
    Punitio
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same issue, unnable to connect to steam it says.
  • Punitio
    Punitio
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried restarting the PC and it won't work, this is still happening. PC-NA.

6np9k10t8zxe.jpg

• Jacozilla
    Jacozilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of the support help article fixes this issue - https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/#en/home#home-web-assist

Online, offline, restart steam and entire computer. Reset router, every other online connection works (browser, games, other game networks.

Seems the real issue is with ZoS, not Steam or some connection issue. Proof of this is easy - I have 2nd account that was not purchased through steam, and can manually login just fine (using the standalone, non-steam launcher).

Unfortunately, my primary account via Steam is completely locked out.
  • Celldweller
    Celldweller
    ✭✭
    I'm having same problem. I'm located in Europe but play on NA.
  • snailbrick
    snailbrick
    ✭✭
    I'm on NA and having the same problem. I've played for years and never had this message. I haven't made any changes to my pc.

Unable to initialize connection Steam. Please ensure the game was launched through Steam or try again later.

I also launch through steam every time I play.
  • Kantuuka
    Kantuuka
    ✭✭✭
    Same here - EU
    More then 1 is a Zerg..
  • TagCdog
    TagCdog
    I'm getting the same Steam connection issue on PC NA. Troubleshooting steps (including repair), PC reboot, etc... have not resolved the issue.
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same issue for me, ive updated graphics and restarted PC and still the same thing, also tried a bunch of other things like running as admin and going offline and online again etc. ( as some old posts recommended )
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep same problem here on PC/NA. Other functions in Steam are working just fine though, seems something's breaking down between them and eso.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic, as it's about troubleshooting on the PC platform.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Aleris
    Aleris
    ✭✭✭
    i am having the same problem right now!!
  • TagCdog
    TagCdog
    Just posting an update, my Steam worked again last night but I am getting the connection error again. Luckily I have a normal install too and can just switch to that but this seems to be impacting a lot of people.
  • Athanas35
    Athanas35
    ✭✭
    Cant log in on steam
    Unable to initialize connection Steam
  • Beavisaur13
    Beavisaur13
    ✭✭✭
    Reminder that ppl like me with a older copy of Eso, can launch the game from steamlibrary: steamapps: common: Zenimax online: The Elderscrolls online: game: client: Eso64
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @AngryOldMan

Is anyone still running into these Steam login issues today?
    Edited by ZOS_Bill on February 20, 2024 9:29PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey thanks for responding @ZOS_Bill - the problem has been resolved for me. It was bad from Feb 17 - 18, but have had no trouble logging in since then.
  • AngryOldMan
    AngryOldMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Steam is working fine again. Thanks for responding :)
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Thanks for the updates everyone!

With this issue being resolved for the OP, we will now close the thread from further posts.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Thanks for all of the follow up here, everyone. Appreciate it.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.