The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does a race change, affect future quest dialogues?

oMrRust
oMrRust
✭✭✭✭
I have a magicka DK that's currently an Argonian. I can not remember if I ever race changed this character to this Argonian at all. I haven't done any quests throughout my playthroughs on many characters because they're mostly for PVP use. I decided to quest on my MagDK Argonian because decided she'll be my 2nd main and well, there's been moments throughout questing that made me very curious. Back in Shadowfen, a nord spoke to another Argonian infront of me and said 'pit-bait scaleskin' when trying to convince my argonian..to take his side..Also proceeded to call me a Snowback. and just now in Alik'r desert, when trying to get Flame stalks for Gabrielle, He says they're delicious treat for lizards, etc but that I am not a lizard..? Literally saying that to an Argonian.. So now I'm wondering if I previously race changed her and if race changing does not affect dialogue and sorta refers to you as the race you originally picked?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 30, 2023 1:38PM
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it does. I play a Khajiit main, and I'm constantly getting insulted by quest givers. Pretty sure there isn't much dynamic dialogue in the game, since it's all voiced. Easier to do in a text-based game.
    Edited by TybaltKaine on May 30, 2023 11:46AM
    • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
    • PC/NA
    • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
    • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
    • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
    • Dragon Frog - Butterscotch Dragon Frog
    • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's very few times when the dialogue will change based on your character's race, or other things like whether they're a vampire or werewolf, which guilds they're part of and so on. I don't know if those rare examples will update correctly when you use a race change token, but in most cases if the dialogue doesn't make sense for your character it's because there's only 1 version and it doesn't take into account all the possible player characters.

Neeneban will tell everyone they won't want to eat flame stalks because they're not a lizard, even argonians who have never used a race change token. I suppose that one could be explained by saying argonians are reptiles but technically not lizards (which is an informal sub-group of reptiles). But there's also things which aren't as easy to explain, like a vampire telling you that you'll have to do something for them because you're not a vampire...even if you are. Plus numerous quests that reference your character not having their soul which were never updated to allow for characters who haven't started the main story.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Players Helping Players section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not doubt that there is some issues with dialogues that is caused from race-changing characters. I just can't say for certain because I really only do quests on one character that has always been the same race.

But there is something not quite right with a couple of my characters that have been race-changed (at least it's noticeable on them)... I had an Argonian DK Tank that I race-changed to an Imperial, and an Argonian Templar Healer that I changed to a Breton. Both of these previous Argonian characters seem to have retained the Argonian's swim speed bonus, because as soon as they touch water they'll get a burst of speed comparable to that from the Ring of the Wild Hunt. But I don't have any speed buffs on these characters, they're built as a Tank and a Healer...

I never bothered reporting this. I mean, what am I supposed to do, ask someone to come race me at swimming while I record it, and then waste time uploading and reporting it just for it to be ignored? :#

With so many bugs in this game you never really know what the hell is going on...