The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Characters names and servers

Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
✭✭✭✭✭
I am moving from EU to NA and I would like to transfer some of my character names. Before I spend money on name change tokens, I would like to know if character names are shared across two servers at once? That is, my name is taken, I thought that I need to rename the characters to EU so that I can call them the same to NA.
Edited by ZOS_Phoenix on May 27, 2023 8:57PM
PC/EU
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Can't answer your question directly, but there is an easy and free of charge way to test it:

Just make a generic character on pc eu and name it after your char on pc na. This way you also see if the name is still available.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make "nameholder" characters. Once you've verified the names are available on PC NA, then start creating your characters. Delete one before replacing it with the "real playable character"; follow with the rest, deleting one before making its replacement.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Character names are per server. Your names on server X are available for anyone including you to grab at server Y and you can have characters with same name on both if someone else does not already use the name.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am moving from EU to NA and I would like to transfer some of my character names. Before I spend money on name change tokens, I would like to know if character names are shared across two servers at once? That is, my name is taken, I thought that I need to rename the characters to EU so that I can call them the same to NA.

You can have characters with the same name on NA and on EU (at least on PC, no idea about other platforms). No need to "free" name before using it on another server.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • ZOS_Phoenix
    Greetings,

After review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic (Players Helping Players, as the OP is requesting information from others regarding an aspect of character names).

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Like others state, you can use the same name on both under the same account.
    Couple months ago I did the opposite of what you are and recreated my main on PC-EU with no name problems.

I would caution tho if you use addons and even achievements, things can get a tad confusing if you have identically named characters :)
    Edited by Tenthirty2 on May 27, 2023 11:48PM
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that the two servers are independant of each other also means however that if your name is taken on NA it's not because you've got a character on EU with that name, so renaming your character won't help. It means someone else on the NA server has got that name and the only way you'll be able to get it is if they ever delete or rename their character.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"