The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

Make arcanist main spammable the tentacle

Daggerfell0929
Daggerfell0929
✭✭✭
I hope it stays that the tentacle is the superior parse spammable to the runeblades, it just looks way cooler and feels more impactful.
Edited by Daggerfell0929 on May 17, 2023 2:50AM
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ajozmv5h52na.jpg
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think the runeblades are cooler :|
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    ✭✭✭✭
    Runeblades are more cool
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the tentacles but the runeblades really scratch a weird aesthetic itch for me.
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe if they stripped some of what the ability did. As it is now it shouldn't be.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a problem that Ceph Flail outperforms Writhing Runeblades in a pure single target fight. Flail should be the AoE spammable, but Runeblades are just too weak to justify using in any scenario.
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a problem that Ceph Flail outperforms Writhing Runeblades in a pure single target fight. Flail should be the AoE spammable, but Runeblades are just too weak to justify using in any scenario.

Not to mention all that it brings to the table as a spammable. Its a execute, a heal, a debuff, a cc, and a crux builder. Its a very loaded spell. I am also very disappointed that it just turned out to be yet another stam execute, as if stam doesn't already have have enough.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    BRB naming my Arcanist Dream Of The Fisherman's Wife
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Daggerfell0929
    Daggerfell0929
    ✭✭✭
    Tessitura wrote: »

Not to mention all that it brings to the table as a spammable. Its a execute, a heal, a debuff, a cc, and a crux builder. Its a very loaded spell. I am also very disappointed that it just turned out to be yet another stam execute, as if stam doesn't already have have enough.

mag has more executes right? Magplar beam, magblade ranged spammable, magsorc has one (no one uses it lol)
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like all three main attacks that Arcanist gets; beam, blades, and tentacle. The beam can't be the spammable since it needs crux to use, but the goal is to spam it as much as possible. Outside that, I'd be happy to use either blades or tentacle. I have no real preference between the two, and might use one or the other depending on the situation.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love tentacles but agree that it's just a grab-bag of random features at the moment.

The execute is good but the Immobilize and heal are just toss-ins that don't need to be there and that hold back the skill overall.
  • Daggerfell0929
    Daggerfell0929
    ✭✭✭
    I love tentacles but agree that it's just a grab-bag of random features at the moment.

The execute is good but the Immobilize and heal are just toss-ins that don't need to be there and that hold back the skill overall.

yea, they could definitely take the immobilize off the tentacle along with the weird .3 cast time
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭

mag has more executes right? Magplar beam, magblade ranged spammable, magsorc has one (no one uses it lol)

Yeah three classes have a execute for a mag build. But all stam builds on all classes have access to really power executes from their weapons. Mag does not. Mag gets shafted on the execute thing and I honestly dont believe stam needs another execute in a class tree.
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is mag shafted? Sure, you spend stamina to fire off tentacles but the damage still scales off your highest stat. All that means is that you're using a ton of magicka skills then you dip into stam for your execute.
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is mag shafted? Sure, you spend stamina to fire off tentacles but the damage still scales off your highest stat. All that means is that you're using a ton of magicka skills then you dip into stam for your execute.

Yeah except executes are not a occasional one off cast. You spam them in execute range because it's your big dps. Ceph is not a spender of crux therefore that spamming is reinforced by design. You know what the last thing you want to do as a mag build is? Spam all your stamina away. So yes, mag gets shafted on this execute.
    Edited by Tessitura on May 17, 2023 11:31PM
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the runeblades a ton more but I like that you have a choice.
  • SDKTJ
    SDKTJ
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any other skill in the game that is so stacked with buffs and debuffs?
    Cephiliarcs flail is aoe, heals you, snares enemies, increases your damage to enemies hit, has execute scaling and also generates crux.

No way it stays like this after launch. An ability with 6 damn features? never mind the passives it also triggers. I can’t imagine even choosing the other morph of this ability, I’m not even going to consider rune blades outside of vas since all it has is a bit of extra range going for it which you will rarely take advantage of in most pve scenarios
  • Iriidius
    Iriidius
    ✭✭✭

Yeah except executes are not a occasional one off cast. You spam them in execute range because it's your big dps. Ceph is not a spender of crux therefore that spamming is reinforced by design. You know what the last thing you want to do as a mag build is? Spam all your stamina away. So yes, mag gets shafted on this execute.

In PvP you spam an executioner maybe once or twice than the target is either dead or blockhealed up to full health and when he is dead he cant dmg you anymore so you probably dont have to use active defense after . In PvE it is probebly a bigger problem because you spam execute, but you dont need to block/dodge that much.
    I wonder if it wouldnt be possible to use executioner or spin2win on a magicka build in PvP if you have enaugh stam sustain(wretchet vitality/eternalvigor/engineguardian/roska/magma
    +thirsk 1 piece/torc/juwels of misrule/orzarga), but many templars(at least before jabs nerf), magsorcs and magnbs dont even use their class execute and molten whip stam dks, master dw builds dont use executioner/whirling blades too.
    Sustaining cephaliarchs-flail on magicka PvP char will be more difficult because it is a spammable+ execute, except you use it only as an execute.

Having an execute that is also a spammable is practical, it frees 1 skill slot and 1 slot in skill trees. Normally you just replace spammable with execute if the boss is low, 1 of them is always unused in rotation and changing skill doesnt add that much to combat experience.

Warden and Necro only got super clunky projectile spammables, most use dizzy+executioner, even ranged ones use other spammables(frost clench).
    Using a 5 second beam and 3 ranged projectiles shouldnt be the only spammable option, there should be a „meele“ spammable(althought its 15 meters. The tooltip is lower than the tooltip of a standart meele or even ranged spamable and only slightly higher than whirlwind, an aoe skill, it could be increased a bit.

https://eso-hub.com/en/skills/arcanist/herald-of-the-tome/cephaliarchs-flail
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get that usually you spam your execute but I'm wondering why you wouldn't just switch to the Viridian Beam of Death once you fill your crux. Is Cephilarch's damage that much better, or is this more of a "you are not the boss of me Zenimax" thing? Don't get me wrong, I respect the second option. I also a play a Templar. :grin:
  • Daggerfell0929
    Daggerfell0929
    ✭✭✭
    I get that usually you spam your execute but I'm wondering why you wouldn't just switch to the Viridian Beam of Death once you fill your crux. Is Cephilarch's damage that much better, or is this more of a "you are not the boss of me Zenimax" thing? Don't get me wrong, I respect the second option. I also a play a Templar. :grin:

its not the execute damage scaling on it is not that great. The main reason people are parsing with it on PTS is because it applys a 5% damage taken debuff, so players load up all other skills with dots, spam this, and use fatcarver at 3 crux.

Fatecarver make up 40-45% of your damage profile on the PTS with 3 crux used for it, therefore it is your highest priority skill before dots.
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sure,I do that too. But you only need to fire it off once to get that 5% buff, and it's usually what I do right before I switch over to the beam.

The other poster was talking about using it over and over the way you would use an execute when a target gets under 50% and noting that Magicka builds can't do that because ceph is a stam morph. I don't know why you would do that because my impression is beam outdamages ceph.
  • Remathilis
    Remathilis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    BRB naming my Arcanist Dream Of The Fisherman's Wife

I've seen enough classic Japanese arts to know where this is going...
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, from what I've read, the "execute" damage of Cephaliarch's isn't that great... even if the damage is slightly higher on targets below 50% health, it doesn't outweigh the damage done by "Green Lantern's Light Beam". I tend to use Runeblade x2 then Cephaliarch's, then Beam. Although I noticed just a bit ago, that it actually takes FOUR casts of Runeblades to generate 3 crux... the first crux visual doesn't appear until the second cast of Runeblades (unless it's a visual bug).
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • SacredNym
    SacredNym
    ✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Although I noticed just a bit ago, that it actually takes FOUR casts of Runeblades to generate 3 crux... the first crux visual doesn't appear until the second cast of Runeblades (unless it's a visual bug).

Skills used outside of combat won't generate Crux. If your first hit of combat is Runeblades or Cephaliarch's you won't gain Crux from it. It's an awkward restriction but I can understand why it's there, even if not implemented ideally.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SacredNym wrote: »
    Although I noticed just a bit ago, that it actually takes FOUR casts of Runeblades to generate 3 crux... the first crux visual doesn't appear until the second cast of Runeblades (unless it's a visual bug).

Skills used outside of combat won't generate Crux. If your first hit of combat is Runeblades or Cephaliarch's you won't gain Crux from it. It's an awkward restriction but I can understand why it's there, even if not implemented ideally.

Well "I" don't understand why it's there, especially since using the skill CAUSES you to enter combat, so same difference IMO. It would be different if it was a 'heal' that I could activate at any time and not enter combat, but since the skill causes you to enter combat, it should also generate crux on use.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • BasP
    BasP
    ✭✭✭
    SacredNym wrote: »

I just noticed that the first hit from Cephaliarch's does generate a Crux when initiating combat with it though, so that is pretty inconsistent.