Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ToT should timer like chess, just for competetive.

HappyDan
HappyDan
✭✭✭
Before you get your pitchforks hear me out.
Right now you have people taking 10 minute turns on every single turn, even the first one where you have 5 gold and in 99% cases you just sack the 1 coin to get the 2 coin but still people play for 10 minutes on first turns.
Having an overall timer (that get few seconds added if you clear your turn fast) will make competitive more exciting and won't pronlong the games.
And if it's too hard you can just play casual ToT with no timer, that's it.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NPCs have no timer, this is the most casual that you can be lol

if you gave players no timer, people would be sitting on their turn for 10 min (the current timer is like 90 seconds, at which point it would auto-end the turn)

it would end up turning into a waiting match to see who got afk-kicked first if there was no timer in pvp tribute
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would you set you chess clock to though? My suspicion is that you would end up with much longer games on average because there would no longer be short games. People clearly beaten early would stall out in the hope of boring their opponent into a concede.
  • HappyDan
    HappyDan
    ✭✭✭
    rbfrgsp wrote: »
    What would you set you chess clock to though? My suspicion is that you would end up with much longer games on average because there would no longer be short games. People clearly beaten early would stall out in the hope of boring their opponent into a concede.

I actually read that's a strat for many competitive tot players, they win 60-70% of their matches by stalling.
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's quite common. Just stall out your turn and bed down for a 20min match. It usually irritates them enough to be on the end of their own tactic that they play properly.

Anyway, the chess timer would virtually guarantee every game runs to max length. I don't think it would save any time, averaged out.
  • Gnesnig
    Gnesnig
    ✭✭✭
    The plus of this idea is that you can actually play out all your crow cards, without having to worry about the fixed timer. I wonder if you use a real chess timer with 10 minutes each, what would happen. Of course the damn card animations that prevent you from looking at your own draw should be addressed, but stalling each turn would allow the other person to think in your time and play very fast. If they're also able to stall your progress, they can win by having the time left to play. It can be dangerous to stall and fast play is awarded.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gnesnig wrote: »
    The plus of this idea is that you can actually play out all your crow cards, without having to worry about the fixed timer. I wonder if you use a real chess timer with 10 minutes each, what would happen. Of course the damn card animations that prevent you from looking at your own draw should be addressed, but stalling each turn would allow the other person to think in your time and play very fast. If they're also able to stall your progress, they can win by having the time left to play. It can be dangerous to stall and fast play is awarded.

the game already has a chess timer, if you take too long it will auto end your turn (for queued matches, there is no timer for NPC or "friendly" duels)

if i recall its only like 90 seconds too, theres been many threads about people complaining the time was too short to continue playing their combos if they were doing a crow strategy
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on May 16, 2023 6:46PM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    HappyDan wrote: »
    Right now you have people taking 10 minute turns on every single turn, even the first one where you have 5 gold and in 99% cases you just sack the 1 coin to get the 2 coin but still people play for 10 minutes on first turns.
    Having an overall timer (that get few seconds added if you clear your turn fast) will make competitive more exciting and won't pronlong the games.

I'm confused? There is a 90 sec timer when playing PVP ToT. How can someone take 10 min?
    Yes, NPC bouts don't have timers, but the OP said with other people. Is this just an exaggeration?
    Edited by wenchmore420b14_ESO on May 16, 2023 7:26PM
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HappyDan wrote: »

I'm confused? There is a 90 sec timer when playing PVP ToT. How can someone take 10 min?
    Yes, NPC bouts don't have timers, but the OP said with other people. Is this just and exaggeration?

90 sec can feel like 10 min when your sitting there just watching your opponent play cards, or even worse do absolutely nothing lol

i think there are addons that can show a turn timer so you know exactly how long to wait on the opponent, though that doesnt really help consoles at all, theres not a very clear visual indicator of how much longer your turn has left
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Gnesnig
    Gnesnig
    ✭✭✭
    the game already has a chess timer, if you take too long it will auto end your turn (for queued matches, there is no timer for NPC or "friendly" duels)

if i recall its only like 90 seconds too, theres been many threads about people complaining the time was too short to continue playing their combos if they were doing a crow strategy

That's not a chess timer though. A chess timer gives each opponent a fixed amount of time to finish the game. You have to complete all your rounds within that allotted time. If you finish your first draw in 5 seconds, you loose 5 seconds of your allotted time and the time your opponent starts. If he takes 90 seconds, he looses 90 seconds of the allotted time. In fact there is no 90 seconds then, he can take longer, but it will cost him the allotted time while the opponent doesn't loose theirs.

Given the average time of 15-20 minutes per game, I propose 10 minutes each. That would set a fixed time of 20 minutes for any game and the most any opponent can stall is 10 minutes. And as I said earlier, stalling is not beneficial any more, on the contrary.

• LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yikes no. the timer isn't even always enough in some cases. I'd rather someone have enough time for a turn when they need it than not have enough just because some turns require less time
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Gnesnig
    Gnesnig
    ✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    yikes no. the timer isn't even always enough in some cases. I'd rather someone have enough time for a turn when they need it than not have enough just because some turns require less time

And a chess timer actually allows that. The 90 seconds would be gone and if it's advantageous, like having good draws with crow cards, you can take longer. And you'll have to make up for it in other turns. I think it's fairer then an arbitrary 90 seconds timer and it'll cut down on malicious stalling.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not a chess timer though. A chess timer gives each opponent a fixed amount of time to finish the game. You have to complete all your rounds within that allotted time. If you finish your first draw in 5 seconds, you loose 5 seconds of your allotted time and the time your opponent starts. If he takes 90 seconds, he looses 90 seconds of the allotted time. In fact there is no 90 seconds then, he can take longer, but it will cost him the allotted time while the opponent doesn't loose theirs.

Given the average time of 15-20 minutes per game, I propose 10 minutes each. That would set a fixed time of 20 minutes for any game and the most any opponent can stall is 10 minutes. And as I said earlier, stalling is not beneficial any more, on the contrary.

yeah that sounds far worse than what we have, i rather wait 90 sec to have it auto end their turn so i can continue playing

i certainly wouldnt want them to sit there for 10 min

and i certainly wouldnt want the game to force end at 20 min, who is the winner then if nobody has met the current win conditions?

there are times ive trailed an opponent (they were at like 15 prestige and i was at 3) and i turned the match around and ended up winning

if an opponent could just get a prestige lead like that and then stall out 10 minutes to get the game time to force end, i see this being abused even worse than the current system
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Gnesnig
    Gnesnig
    ✭✭✭
    if an opponent could just get a prestige lead like that and then stall out 10 minutes to get the game time to force end, i see this being abused even worse than the current system

You run out of time, you loose. So if they stall for 10 minutes at 15/3 lead, they loose, cause their time is up and not yours.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You run out of time, you loose. So if they stall for 10 minutes at 15/3 lead, they loose, cause their time is up and not yours.

that wouldnt be as bad, but i still would have the 90 sec timer per turn so your not sitting there for 10 solid minutes doing nothing

personally this would make me less inclined to even bother with competitve or queued tribute (and i already basically never do it, i only did 13 total matches to get the card upgrades that you can only get by using the patron ability in pvp)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master