The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

My Theory, Which Belongs To Me. (*ahem*) (With Very Official-Looking Line Graph)

EramTheLiar
EramTheLiar
✭✭✭✭
So basically, arcanists start out very narrow on one end, get much bigger in the middle, and taper off on the other end. (IYKYK)

OK, on a more serious note: so after testing Arcanist using my less-than-refined skillset and reading the observations from people who appear to have a lot more skill with the general game than I do, I have come up with a theory of how the Arcanist works in game, and why my experience with it has been so much better than the higher tier players. I represent this in a drawing, to make it look all official-like, which I present here:

duvjm2qjj17d.png

Summary: Arcanist is currently tuned to boost the effectiveness of mid-tier players like me, at least as far as soloing content is concerned. However, it's core mechanics apparently deviate from regular gameplay enough to work against experienced players, or is tuned specifically for middle of the road players like me at the expense of the top tier.

That's the only way I can explain my experiences testing, compared to the general feeling that it's lacking based on other player reports. Basically, I've been going through Craglorn and a few other zones using equipment I already have in-game (with the notable exception that on PTS all that equipment is usually gold, whereas there's a lot more purple live, but I did do a few runs with all purple, craftable-exclusive gear as well) and I've been soloing encounters that have traditionally given me trouble. And what I've found is that for me, arcanist performs significantly better (even without my favorite crutch, the ring of the pale order) than any other class I've played (I've played everything but warden, for some reason I just can't get into wardens). And what I find is that the rotation is straightforward enough that I can keep track of it and because of that I'm able to be a little more situationally aware of what's going on, and that plus the Emerald Spotlight of Infinite Aggression makes it possible to hold my own in a lot more situations than I would normally be able to manage. And if you add a ring of the pale order into the mix the odds increase even more dramatically.

I haven't tested group play as much, so I can't extend my theory beyond soloing content.
  • LioraValkyrie
    LioraValkyrie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having tested the Arcanist at some length, I totally agree - it's intended as a half-way house between Oakensorc and the 130k club. Great design concept imo. It will allow all the decent players currently doing braindead HA spam builds to make some progress and develop their skills without needing to become 20 years younger or genetically morph into Skinny Cheeks.
    Mistress of Apocrypha - Master PetSorc

Founder of The Lollygaggers
    Creator of the 1-bar vMA build
    World first solo vFH
    Unchained Altmer Sorc Tank

Visit me on YouTube! Mistress of Apocrypha ESO
  • LioraValkyrie
    LioraValkyrie
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was inspired by your graph so I expanded upon it!

gup4grbuspv8.png

World first solo vFH

• Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely agree and I’m excited for people to have Arcanist as an option. The beam channel is just so long that it slows down the rotation a bit but it’s balanced out by the crux system, which means a good Arcanist build in use requires more thinking than the other classes. It also teaches hybridization by forcing you to use both magicka and stamina. Additionally, because the channel is so long, it benefits well from Deadly which is buyable. I’ve been using Pillar too, which is from old DLC.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

gup4grbuspv8.png

I was inspired by @LioraValkyrie 's graph so I expanded upon it!

image.png
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • skinnycheeks
    skinnycheeks
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having tested the Arcanist at some length, I totally agree - it's intended as a half-way house between Oakensorc and the 130k club. Great design concept imo. It will allow all the decent players currently doing braindead HA spam builds to make some progress and develop their skills without needing to become 20 years younger or genetically morph into Skinny Cheeks.

Just to chime in since I stumbled across my name 😜, definitely no special talents here. I started off in ESO just the same as anyone else, cheering when I hit my 1st 30k parse. Just comes down to a lot of practice. And probably more practice than I'd ever recommend or expect most people to do. But just wanted to point out there definitely is no pre-disposition of being good at games or MMOs or anything. Just put in the time and effort.

But I do agree with the idea that Arcanist allows for some really good damage without having a high mastery level of the game, which is good!
  • LioraValkyrie
    LioraValkyrie
    ✭✭✭✭

gup4grbuspv8.png

I was inspired by @LioraValkyrie 's graph so I expanded upon it!

image.png

Sorry for my omission. It's a great point, at the higher end Food Lettuce definitely overtakes Oakensoul.

World first solo vFH

• Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad future for oakensorc on that graph
  • luchtt
    luchtt
    ✭✭✭
    as it currently stands, arcanist does actually overtake most meta parse dps in trials and a lot of dungeons. DK and templar are still able to keep up with it's single target but it's aoe is off the charts. It should definetely be at least equal at the end to meta classes, probably higher. It's definetely not a lower ceiling than the rest of the meta classes.