Ive tanked all dungeons up to vet 5 now and Decided to make a small guide for DK tanking
Bar 1 is for bosses, bar 2 to rush down adds.
Ransack is a must, with it you overcharge armor, all the time.
Inner beast is a ranged taunt. Some bosses require it, must have.
Absorb magica is required for the blocking passive
Green dragonblood is a self heal and should overcharge your health and stam regen. must have
Burning talons can be switched to something else for single target bosses. (razor armor or obsidian shard)
Bar 2 is about aoe control and helping nuking them down.
On both you want to have magma shell or dragonstandard morphed for more dmg done, reduced dmg taken.. The corrosive armor just doesnt at that much. Your dmg taken is already capped
Combined with the earthen heart passive this is your oh *** button, selfheal, reduced dmg taken. This can help you a lot when your out of stamina.
For pots, use stam or magicka potions. Personally i prefer magicka because it allows me to dragon regen.
With this bar and setup in soloplay im practically unkillable. If i get low, il heal backup faster than monsters can dmg me . In dungeons you can actually corner pull and dark talon root.
On lower level i advise extended chains so you can attack a group and chain some ranged mobs in.(chain oddly enough also works as a ranged taunt.
Tanking tips in general
1. You cant tank all mobs. Blocking is a major part of your dmg reduction and you should only block heavy attacks or youl go OOS in 10 seconds.
2. Make sure you can survive on your own for at least 10 seconds. either through self heals or in my dk case an ultimate that reduces all dmg to 3% max health per hit (magma armor)
3. Aoe taunts would kill you, period.
4. Most bosses are tauntable, some have weird mechanics.
5. Some boss skills can be interrupted others cant, learn which one by trial and error.
6. Learn when its better to stay in the red cirkle with a block or should roll/sprint out. Some bosses do negligble dmg with those hits, but hit hard with heavy attacks. In this case having the stamina to block those hits helps you out more than the little bit extra dmg taken from that aoe spell.
7. Against packs use aoe CC (DK Burning talons OP)
8. Sometimes kiting is better than facetanking. If bosses have slow animations on big attack. dont run in, run away from them. use the time to get recourses back.
9. Be the first one to aggro and use corner pulls. They are extremely effective.
The hardest part of tanking is actually managing your stamina/magicka so you have enough left to block that big hit, it is also why dps need to learn on bosses to save their recourses for a burn phase. Even though it doesnt look like it. tanks will go out of recourses>healers will go out of recourses> you wipe.
When a tank is OOM/OOS burn phase begins
When soloing I also use a 2 handed weapon for higher dmg.
Critical charge and brawler are the skills I use.
Ive heared that some people prefer the destructionstaff aoe tanking in vet dungeons, but personally i prefer my 1h +shield for both