The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dragonknight Tanking guide (heavy amor 1h+shield)

Stautmeister
Stautmeister
✭✭✭
Ive tanked all dungeons up to vet 5 now and Decided to make a small guide for DK tanking

Skills
http://esohead.com/calculator/skills#czmHyyfXu38y1au8fXi48uEIK8uvZN8Gsb18fXuY8rrYM8uEAn8umHJ8uvZi8GsbX807068T7JNRMA6MrqAi6MrqAI6MrqAD6MrqAZ6crqLw8y7xNR3a6dR3r6zR3f6MfQE16MfQlr6MfQlu8E7GNzVW8l7JdzkA6bzky6Nzkt6MuvVB6MuvVD6MuvVJ6MuvVO8B7bdzRf837cNw338zk7pzvKVv6cvKVB6cvKVD8zR706

Bar 1 is for bosses, bar 2 to rush down adds.

Ransack is a must, with it you overcharge armor, all the time.
Inner beast is a ranged taunt. Some bosses require it, must have.
Absorb magica is required for the blocking passive
Green dragonblood is a self heal and should overcharge your health and stam regen. must have
Burning talons can be switched to something else for single target bosses. (razor armor or obsidian shard)

Bar 2 is about aoe control and helping nuking them down.

On both you want to have magma shell or dragonstandard morphed for more dmg done, reduced dmg taken.. The corrosive armor just doesnt at that much. Your dmg taken is already capped
Combined with the earthen heart passive this is your oh *** button, selfheal, reduced dmg taken. This can help you a lot when your out of stamina.

For pots, use stam or magicka potions. Personally i prefer magicka because it allows me to dragon regen.

With this bar and setup in soloplay im practically unkillable. If i get low, il heal backup faster than monsters can dmg me . In dungeons you can actually corner pull and dark talon root.
On lower level i advise extended chains so you can attack a group and chain some ranged mobs in.(chain oddly enough also works as a ranged taunt.

Tanking tips in general

1. You cant tank all mobs. Blocking is a major part of your dmg reduction and you should only block heavy attacks or youl go OOS in 10 seconds.
2. Make sure you can survive on your own for at least 10 seconds. either through self heals or in my dk case an ultimate that reduces all dmg to 3% max health per hit (magma armor)
3. Aoe taunts would kill you, period.
4. Most bosses are tauntable, some have weird mechanics.
5. Some boss skills can be interrupted others cant, learn which one by trial and error.
6. Learn when its better to stay in the red cirkle with a block or should roll/sprint out. Some bosses do negligble dmg with those hits, but hit hard with heavy attacks. In this case having the stamina to block those hits helps you out more than the little bit extra dmg taken from that aoe spell.
7. Against packs use aoe CC (DK Burning talons OP)
8. Sometimes kiting is better than facetanking. If bosses have slow animations on big attack. dont run in, run away from them. use the time to get recourses back.
9. Be the first one to aggro and use corner pulls. They are extremely effective.

The hardest part of tanking is actually managing your stamina/magicka so you have enough left to block that big hit, it is also why dps need to learn on bosses to save their recourses for a burn phase. Even though it doesnt look like it. tanks will go out of recourses>healers will go out of recourses> you wipe.
When a tank is OOM/OOS burn phase begins

When soloing I also use a 2 handed weapon for higher dmg.
Critical charge and brawler are the skills I use.

Ive heared that some people prefer the destructionstaff aoe tanking in vet dungeons, but personally i prefer my 1h +shield for both :)
Edited by Stautmeister on April 22, 2014 2:23PM
An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
  • Reece82
    Reece82
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the post. I just hit Vet 1 and I'm ready to redo my build so I'll consider giving this a shot.

How did you spend your attribute points?
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    10-29-10
    I advise going for ring/neck with reduce blockcost and increased amount.
  • ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will give this a shot, need lot of money to reset attributes and skill points...

But why Ransack over Pierce Armor? Is it because you do not use Spiked Armor? The 40% more vunerable to spells sounds like is should not be skipped.

When soloing, what would you remove from either or both bars to add Critical Charge and Brawler?
    Edited by ZoM_Head on May 6, 2014 7:25AM
    mDKs still need a lot of love!
  • damian.dreyfussub17_ESO
    I've seen a bit of debate on using all heavy armor, or 5 heavy and 2 light for the magicka regen and spell resistance. Wondering how you you were using your armor and if it made a difference at the highest levels.
  • highrisedrifter
    highrisedrifter
    ✭✭✭
    Great build, thank you for taking the time to post it and also give your thoughts on why certain abilities over others.
    I've seen a bit of debate on using all heavy armor, or 5 heavy and 2 light for the magicka regen and spell resistance. Wondering how you you were using your armor and if it made a difference at the highest levels.
    But why Ransack over Pierce Armor? Is it because you do not use Spiked Armor? The 40% more vunerable to spells sounds like is should not be skipped.

When soloing, what would you remove from either or both bars to add Critical Charge and Brawler?

The questions above are also great and your thoughts on those would be much appreciated.
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Been a while, but unto the questions :)
    Ransack because it lets max out armor. Your not responsible for doing dmg, your responsible about taking the least amount of recourses from your healer.
    For 2 handed take away the 1 handed skills and the taunt :).

Personally im using 5/2 heavy light armor
    Great build, thank you for taking the time to post it and also give your thoughts on why certain abilities over others.

The questions above are also great and your thoughts on those would be much appreciated.