The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why is the Imperial City still a PvP zone? Why was it ever?

• endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make it all pvp and remove the flags easy, far less of a graveyard as it is now
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP'ers have little enough content already without taking the IC away from them.

That said, I do wish there was either a PvE instance or a way of flagging oneself as not participating in PvP purely for the purposes of doing the quests and seeing the story. This would of course need to be appropriately restricted with no AP, no Tel Var, no PvP set drops, no nothing that is supposed to be earned through PvP.

I've played the IC storyline exactly once, around when it was launched and everyone was doing it so there was strength in numbers, and unlike the completely missable "quests" in Cyrodiil proper I found it engaging and with interesting lore implications. I'd never dare try to go there and see the story again now though.

That's the one version of a PVE Imperial City I support. Story Mode only, no rewards (no fish, no skyshards, no nothing, just quests).

I really enjoyed the quests (which I ran on a PVE-character, though I know how to PVP). And I think it's a shame that lots of players won't see it because they don't want to risk PVP.

how would you get around the fact the quests themselves offer tel var coffers as rewards? you get about 2-3k tel var just doing the story quests (1k for the last quest, about 500 per other quest)

not to mention a "story" mode zone with no rewards would be even more dead than the regular zone, so dead in fact that it might not even be worth the server resources to spin up the instance

You act like its impossible to remove the quest rewards when ZOS would already be removing the PVP flags and all the other rewards from the rest of the content in a completely rewardless story mode.

If you can't buy that, why would you think its impossible that ZOS couldn't simply replace the Tel Var with an equivalent gold amount for a PVE quest?

And if a completely rewardless story mode isn't going to attract enough players who just want to do the quests for the story alone, then it really just goes to show that the majority of the people asking for this are only really looking for the rewards of the zone with none of the intended, designed risk of PVP. They don't care about the story. They want the Tel Var, the keys, the fish, the skyshards, the helms, and of course, the event tickets with zero risk.

I'm willing to compromise for players who really want to experience the story without having to risk PvPvE because the Elder Scrolls is a traditionally PVE, story focused franchise.

I'm not willing to compromise with players who just want to get the rewards of a PvPvE MMO zone without playing how the Devs intended.

im not saying they cant, im saying they wont because of the amount of effort to make a zone thats going to be 99% dead most of the time if theres effectively enemies that you have to fight through that offer nothing, and virtually no reason to even do the quests more than once if they dont give rewards

i would be questioning even spending the resources on a zone nobody is going to stay in, if it was released as pve with no rewards, it would probably be very busy the day of release and maybe a couple days after then absolutely dead the rest of the time

i certainly would never go into that instance ever if there were no rewards

I agree the Devs won't make a rewardless IC for story mode. But I'd be okay with it if they did because it's for the story rather than begging for easy rewards.

Heck, I even think they won't bother with a PvE version of IC. Even though it would appeal to more players than a rewardless story mode, they'd actually lose money on it beyond the development cost because PvP-avoidant players would stop spending money on event tickets and QOL crown items from IC.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aektann wrote: »
    The only ones that actively want it kept around are PKers and griefers.
    So you trying to casually farm tel vars in IC and some evil nightblade kill you?
    [snip]

I couldn't care less about telvar, whether is telvar or AP isn't the issue. The issue is mixing PvE and PvP, always has been. And let's be frank, the rewards for the telvar....not that great. Oooh a daedra skin, or a scamp.....I got 10 of those.....

[edited to remove quote]

Conveniently leaving out that TelVar is one of the easiest and quickest ways to earn gold.

It's a PvP zone. It's not for PvE players and that's ok. It's the same ridiculous argument of "DAE PVE CYRODIIL GUYS???"
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on April 25, 2023 6:27PM
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well, that's you.

I totally would, because I thought the IC storyline was cool and I'd like to see it again without getting ganked. I couldn't care less about missing the green quality reward gear and a few Tel Var satchels.

• Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that's you.

I totally would, because I thought the IC storyline was cool and I'd like to see it again without getting ganked. I couldn't care less about missing the green quality reward gear and a few Tel Var satchels.

and what would be the point of being in the zone other than the quests if there were no rewards?

the questline is only 7 quests (one per district and then the final one) and then you leave the zone, never to return unless you wanted to see the questline again

i do know that people would go there and do the questlines but if you couldnt earn anything else in that instance (no achievements, no drops from enemies, no skyshards, no fishing, nothing except the quests, and even then you wouldnt get the achievements for doing the quest), there would be no reason to even stay in the zone once you finish the quests

it sounds more like what is really wanted is basically solo instance that are similar to say the harborage quests (essentially you talk to the drake of blades and then take a portal to an instance without leaving the safe area of IC)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well, that's you.

and what would be the point of being in the zone other than the quests if there were no rewards?

the questline is only 7 quests (one per district and then the final one) and then you leave the zone, never to return unless you wanted to see the questline again

i do know that people would go there and do the questlines but if you couldnt earn anything else in that instance (no achievements, no drops from enemies, no skyshards, no fishing, nothing except the quests, and even then you wouldnt get the achievements for doing the quest), there would be no reason to even stay in the zone once you finish the quests

it sounds more like what is really wanted is basically solo instance that are similar to say the harborage quests (essentially you talk to the drake of blades and then take a portal to an instance without leaving the safe area of IC)

I liked the story and I'd like to experience it again without becoming someone's teabagging target, even without rewards of any kind. I don't actually have strong feelings about how it would be implemented.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a PvP zone. It's not for PvE players and that's ok. It's the same ridiculous argument of...
    Who is IC for then? Given the lack of PvP happening, doesn't seem like it's there for PvPers either.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's a PvP zone. It's not for PvE players and that's ok. It's the same ridiculous argument of...
    Who is IC for then? Given the lack of PvP happening, doesn't seem like it's there for PvPers either.

This is on ZOS for making bad changes to the zone (the respawn changes) and then abandoning it.

If they gave players an actual reason to go there besides just making gold, people would go there.

It'd take very little effort to add a leaderboard to IC. It'd take even less effort to revert the respawn changes from ages ago. There are ways they could encourage more PvP by making changes to the way Tel Var is earned/taken from other players. ZOS could do a lot to improve IC but it's been abandoned just like all the other PvP content in the game.