The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Maelstorm destro staff change / nerf

r34lian
r34lian
✭✭✭✭✭
I just want to stay what is the point of providing that 1% of player base with "perfected weapon" that has extra bonus to further push their dps and then nerf that weapon so your average player takes the most hit?

Like I play with over 300 ping, light attack weaving is not easy but I invested time in it and now they plan to nerf it. /sad

No wonder why very few people are able to complete vet DLC dungeons and trials.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on April 24, 2023 3:12AM
2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What are you refering to? Source?
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • TheForFeeF
    TheForFeeF
    ✭✭✭
    r34lian wrote: »
    I just want to stay what is the point of providing that 1% of player base with "perfected weapon" that has extra bonus to further push their dps and then nerf that weapon so your average player takes the most hit?

Like I play with over 300 ping, light attack weaving is not easy but I invested time in it and now they plan to nerf it. /sad

Being blunt about it, gear and weapons isn't the reason a person isn't able to complete Veteran DLC Dungeons. Its because they are not understanding and refusing to learn the Mechanics of the Dungeon. You can go into a Veteran DLC Dungeon Hard Mode with a sub-optimal race, sub-optimal gear, sub-optimal abilities, and no LA/HA attacks and still clear it. If you made all of that the least bit optimal, all it does is make it easier for you. Even for DLC Trial Hard Modes.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe this is about Maelstrom destruction staves not buffing LA damage anymore but instead buffing the dot. That really isn't a big damage difference though. It just helps people who are bad at weaving to deal more damage. Not to mention that the "perfected" version isn't much of an upgrade compared to the nonperfected version anyway, as penetration on the backbar is kind of useless.
    k4ph9nj1xfqr.png
    Oh, also these changes are kind of old, so I'm not sure why this is brought up again now.
    Edited by Ratzkifal on April 23, 2023 1:36PM
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • r34lian
    r34lian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    I believe this is about Maelstrom destruction staves not buffing LA damage anymore but instead buffing the dot. That really isn't a big damage difference though. It just helps people who are bad at weaving to deal more damage. Not to mention that the "perfected" version isn't much of an upgrade compared to the nonperfected version anyway, as penetration on the backbar is kind of useless.
    k4ph9nj1xfqr.png
    Oh, also these changes are kind of old, so I'm not sure why this is brought up again now.

Actually I just got back
    2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    k4ph9nj1xfqr.png

Actually I just got back

Yeah, update 35 was a big mess and we are still just recovering from it. This was one of the few reasonable changes they made. Basically what you missed is ZOS nerfing everyone way too hard, to the point that they had to nerf the health on all boss enemies too, all in the name of making the game more accessible. But the only thing they achieved was make the game harder for players at the metaphorical bottom when their original intention was to make it easier for these players. The changes to the destruction staves were some of the only changes that actually did what they were trying to do because before the set disproportionally favored those who are good at weaving over those who are bad at it.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheForFeeF wrote: »

Being blunt about it, gear and weapons isn't the reason a person isn't able to complete Veteran DLC Dungeons. Its because they are not understanding and refusing to learn the Mechanics of the Dungeon. You can go into a Veteran DLC Dungeon Hard Mode with a sub-optimal race, sub-optimal gear, sub-optimal abilities, and no LA/HA attacks and still clear it. If you made all of that the least bit optimal, all it does is make it easier for you. Even for DLC Trial Hard Modes.

Very true. Not paying attention to the environment and reacting properly to mechanics is the main cause of death in those Dungeons and trials.

• Tradewind
    Tradewind
    ✭✭✭✭
    Being blunt about it, gear and weapons isn't the reason a person isn't able to complete Veteran DLC Dungeons.
    Its because they are not understanding and refusing to learn the Mechanics of the Dungeon.
    You can go into a Veteran DLC Dungeon Hard Mode with a sub-optimal race, sub-optimal gear, sub-optimal abilities, and no LA/HA attacks and still clear it. If you made all of that the least bit optimal, all it does is make it easier for you. Even for DLC Trial Hard Modes.

Why is that? When players enter any veteran or normal dungeon, what do they do? They run! They skip everything they can, and many players won't even allow others to learn where to go or complete quests because they are more interested in speedrunning and skipping content.

Moreover, many players fail to grasp the mechanics of veteran trials, hard mode, or dungeons in general because they focus more on DPS rather than enjoying the game. Using Oakensoul or HA builds can make it easier to learn mechanics, and I believe this is why ZoS introduced Oakensoul. However, some players harass HA users or lead others to focus solely on DPS rather than helping them learn mechanics.

Perfect exemple: I have led so many speed runs in vSS that you may not even imagine how much some players "admire us" when we say: "Don't kill yourself after Yolnahkriin. We have to go upstairs and kill more trash." They not even be aware of this!
    If you've never led or participated in a speed run where people kill themselves after Yolnahkriin, then you may not understand me.

As a result, bad players get kicked out because they lack knowledge of mechanics or have low DPS.

ps:I know what many of you are thinking, but once again, for me, it's all related.
    Edited by Tradewind on April 23, 2023 6:58PM
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tradewind wrote: »
    Being blunt about it, gear and weapons isn't the reason a person isn't able to complete Veteran DLC Dungeons.
    Its because they are not understanding and refusing to learn the Mechanics of the Dungeon.
    You can go into a Veteran DLC Dungeon Hard Mode with a sub-optimal race, sub-optimal gear, sub-optimal abilities, and no LA/HA attacks and still clear it. If you made all of that the least bit optimal, all it does is make it easier for you. Even for DLC Trial Hard Modes.

Why is that? When players enter any veteran or normal dungeon, what do they do? They run! They skip everything they can, and many players won't even allow others to learn where to go or complete quests because they are more interested in speedrunning and skipping content.

Moreover, many players fail to grasp the mechanics of veteran trials, hard mode, or dungeons in general because they focus more on DPS rather than enjoying the game. Using Oakensoul or HA builds can make it easier to learn mechanics, and I believe this is why ZoS introduced Oakensoul. However, some players harass HA users or lead others to focus solely on DPS rather than helping them learn mechanics.

Perfect exemple: I have led so many speed runs in vSS that you may not even imagine how much some players "admire us" when we say: "Don't kill yourself after Yolnahkriin. We have to go upstairs and kill more trash." They not even be aware of this!
    If you've never led or participated in a speed run where people kill themselves after Yolnahkriin, then you may not understand me.

As a result, bad players get kicked out because they lack knowledge of mechanics or have low DPS.

ps:I know what many of you are thinking, but once again, for me, it's all related.

Let's not turn this thread into a copy of your other thread, okay? This is a bit off topic for a thread that is about an old change to Maelstrom staves.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah.... off topic agendas are bad, mmmkay?

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That reminds me! OP, have you considered that the vMA staff now deals more damage in AoE situations? Pretty cool if you ask me!
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post