The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What can be done to address the lackluster help from Customer Service?

LonePirate
LonePirate
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
The more I play this game, the more reluctant I am to use the in-game Help option to contact Customer Service because it is a complete waste of time that only frustrates me more as I deal with the subsequent emails that follow.

While I am sure the actual human CS reps are hard-working and well-intentioned, some of the processes and communicated information need a complete overhaul. I have no doubts the CS team is remarkably understaffed and the sheer volume of email Help requests dictate the automated first responses based on keywords which are sent. These first responses are absolutely useless apart from annoying people with how unhelpful they really are. I no longer pay any attention to these first responses and I always reply with my own automated text about my issue not being resolved because these first responses always assume your issue somehow magically fixes itself during the several hours or even days it takes to receive that first response. Seriously, who reads these any more? It's the second and subsequent emails where things become more human interactive and even more maddening.

These second or third or whatever response emails seem to have some human thought behind them (sometimes). However, they almost always start with the assumption that the player is a complete idiot and has not already tried logging out or /reloadui or searching forums or YouTube or Google for an answer during the indefinite amount of time that transpires before the first auto-reply is received. Like many other players, I have already tried these tactics and avenues for assistance and nothing was found, hence the need to contact Customer Service in the first place. Essentially, the email responses are little more than ZOS ending electronic insults to its players by assuming they are complete idiots.

If that weren't bad enough, if you happen to receive multiple responses from more than one CS rep or alias, the information is often completely contradictory except for the times when it is repetitive. Either way, rep #2 seems to have no knowledge of what rep #1 told me and the same goes for rep #3. Does the ticketing system not have a History section which details what information has already been communicated so that it appears my ticket is being reviewed by people who actually care and they approach a solution with some professionalism and common sense? The lack of team coordination is truly mind boggling. Then there are instances where you receive a reply which has absolutely nothing to do with the issue you reported. These responses drive me straight to my Stoli.

It gets worse. Even after several emails, including one or two that may have actually been crafted without the use of an automated script, I still never receive any actual solutions to my problems. Sometimes the responses simply stop arriving after I repeatedly confirm my problem still exists. Sometimes the CS rep claims the issue has been escalated to a developer or some unknown higher authority where my issue evidently goes to die because I never hear another word about my issue. The automated responses the CS team loves to send would be ideal to deploy every three or four days to let the player know that their escalated issue is still in the queue or being researched. Anything would be better than the nothingness of the black hole that seems to swallow my Help requests - especially ones that result in a response similar to a bug ticket has been logged.

This whole mess ultimately ends up with my issue not being resolved and with the CS team coming off as anything but helpful. This begs the question, why is the CS team not empowered to actually help players? Why do they spend so much time pushing unhelpful emails when they could easily log into the game as a game master and reset a quest or NPC/mob/boss or achievement or interactable object or whatever else my in-game problem is that other games have somehow figured out ways to resolve? Why is it a complete and utter waste of my time to contact CS - one of the few actual benefits of paying a subscription fee - when the rep either cannot help me or refuses to help me? It does nothing but make the actual customer service being provided seem like it is ABYSMAL as it does nothing but deter me from wanting to contact Customer Service. Again, I am sure the CS team is populated with wonderful people. It is a shame these people are unable to help the people who are contributing to their paychecks.

And don't get me started on the utter pointlessness of the game's /feedback option which I am convinced automatically deletes the feedback after the player submits it. I have been providing feedback since the November Beta and I have never received a single response or acknowledgement or follow-up question. If the game has no interest in reading or listening to the feedback of its players, it should never solicit it in the first place.
Edited by LonePirate on April 30, 2014 10:50PM
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What can be done? Nothing. Unsubscribe I guess. Financially they need to work on support as it will clearly be bleeding subscribers.
  • AlliN
    AlliN
    ✭✭✭
    Someone on the forums today was able to show, that they are refunding if they caught you botting. I think I'll spend some hours tommorow camping some low level public dungeon boss, so enough people will report me as a bot, I'll get my refund and I will return later, when the game will be actualy fixed or f2p.
  • ViciousMink
    ViciousMink
    ✭✭
    AlliN wrote: »
    Someone on the forums today was able to show, that they are refunding if they caught you botting. I think I'll spend some hours tommorow camping some low level public dungeon boss, so enough people will report me as a bot, I'll get my refund and I will return later, when the game will be actualy fixed or f2p.

Uhm, no, they weren't able to show that. There's still question as to why he was baleeted and yet got a refund since he has not yet been told what happened to his account, why he was banned/removed, and what particular process, if any, caught him. It's spurious to say it was because he was suspected of botting.

Not saying that isn't happening, mind; but 'anecdote' is not a synonym for 'datum' and its plural certainly isn't 'data.' :)
  • ViciousMink
    ViciousMink
    ✭✭
    That being said, having worked in Customer Service, I can garauntee you that this feedback is getting noticed. Companies don't put 3+ years into a game and hire voice actors and everything else surrounding it just to say 'Okay, let's skimp on customer service!' or 'Lets give our customers really crappy service!' Higher-ups don't move quickly but they are moving and whatever division or external company (and it could likely be one, mind you -- they may be branded as ZOS but it could be a contracted company) handles CS is going to be looked at very, very hard come May 4th. I wouldn't expect immediate changes, or even necessarilly positive changes, but things will be shaking up.
  • AlliN
    AlliN
    ✭✭✭
    Well, guy posted a paypal screenshot, after getting killed by gm and booted from the game.

I would say, the fact that he used or not used a bot is secondary, fact is he got a refund after getting his account locked. So, my idea is (not without a small wink though) to use the system. Worst case scenario I'll end up with tons of loot.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hire more staff. =)
  • Hav
    Hav
    Soul Shriven
    They should rename the department to "Lack of customer support"
  • BlitzkriegAngel
    That being said, having worked in Customer Service, I can garauntee you that this feedback is getting noticed. Companies don't put 3+ years into a game and hire voice actors and everything else surrounding it just to say 'Okay, let's skimp on customer service!' or 'Lets give our customers really crappy service!' Higher-ups don't move quickly but they are moving and whatever division or external company (and it could likely be one, mind you -- they may be branded as ZOS but it could be a contracted company) handles CS is going to be looked at very, very hard come May 4th. I wouldn't expect immediate changes, or even necessarilly positive changes, but things will be shaking up.

You would think that but then can I just once again point out Blizzard and Diablo 3? It took South Korea raiding their offices in Seoul for them to even begin to treat customers like human beings. I think the safest bet would be to assume these companies only see numbers until they can actually prove otherwise. Which Zenimax still has not done.
  • Daverios
    Daverios
    ✭✭✭✭
    As someone who personally has butted heads with zos support harder than anyone most likley. I can tell you they are paying more attention and working harder than you might think.

I was a bit gobsmacked when I had thier management quote from various posts here and on reddit for issues people are raising. Here I thought they were all in the basement count cash but apparently not so. They are aware of these issues but can only tackle one at a time.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Daverios wrote: »
    As someone who personally has butted heads with zos support harder than anyone most likley. I can tell you they are paying more attention and working harder than you might think.

I was a bit gobsmacked when I had thier management quote from various posts here and on reddit for issues people are raising. Here I thought they were all in the basement count cash but apparently not so. They are aware of these issues but can only tackle one at a time.

I have never questioned the CS team's work ethic. I am sure they are being inundated by a volume of requests that they never even came close to anticipating (although they should have based on the Beta tests). My issues are entirely based on on the actual help and support which they are offering, which is horrendous to say the least.

It's obvious the CS management team failed massively in their plans and their approaches to providing help and support to players in a subscription based game given the team's methods for responding to players (see my original post for examples), the overall crushing volume of work, the lack of communication to players and the apparent lack of changes and improvements to the current system (apart from disabling the Help Chat feature where requests went completely unanswered).

The CS management team should be all over these forums and they should be publicly responding and addressing\acknowledging volumes of issues each and every day - and I am not just talking about the dozen or so bugs that a couple of developers fix in the twice weekly patches. Instead, we hear nothing but crickets concerning the monumental CS problems and the player base absolutely detests having to contact CS because nothing good ever comes from contacting them. This complete silence from them on how they are working to improve their shattered and unworkable CS system is perhaps the most troubling aspect of this problem. It's practically masochistic to contact CS nowadays because of the pain and hopelessness involved. Plus, there are no rays of light on the horizon so players are pessimistic about the future.

Is there anyone from ZOS or the CS team that would like to chime in here with some actual substance?

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom ?
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ ?
    @ZOS_JasonL ?
    @ZOS_AmeliaR ?

Bueller?

ZOS is hosting an AMA on Reddit on Thursday. How about hosting daily sessions on these very own forums so that actual paying customers can receive support and assistance for which they are paying but never receive?
  • hiyde
    hiyde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they are working to get the biggest issues under control.

But to be fair, they didn't invent the MMO. These issues have existed for a LONG time. There should have been a plan in place PRIOR to launch.

But there wasn't. OK, fair enough, they are playing catch up. But when you institute a system to instakill/ban/suspend/delete an account, all without warning, notice or any kind of explanation whatsoever, then taking days to analyze and 'investigate' why an innocent player was banned, you're creating an even bigger problem than the one you are trying to fix.

Not being able to even TELL a player when you finally call them back WHY this happened to their account speaks to a very shoddy implementation.

Booting someone from the game and deleting their account is a very serious action. It should have VERY CLEAR NOTES on why the action was taken, and the PAYING CUSTOMER should be given that info immediately.

Mistakes happen. How a company deals with them is very important. To say I'm uninpressed at this point is a vast understatement lol.

@Hiyde GM/Founder - Bleakrock Barter Co (Trade Guild - PC/NA) | Blackbriar Barter Co (Trade Guild-PC/NA)
  • lstongeb16_ESO
    @hiyde, did you have your issue fixed?

I'm in the same boat... for almost a FULL WEEK!?!

I don't know what's going on but it's a real mess.

I did not bother posting all links, I'm kinda bored and most of my post are in french anyway.

Regards,

Psykhos
  • hiyde
    hiyde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not resolved. Still zero information on why any of this took place.

Yesterday morning, I submitted an e-mail form via the ZOS corporate site, which was simply turned into an ESO ticket (FYI I did include my original ticket number in that e-mail. I have no desire to have multiple tickets on the issue).

Late last night, I was contacted and asked for my game code, secret answer, paypal transaction ID and other info. I provided that info and got a reply saying they were 'investigating'. Since my e-mail didn't mention anything about Paypal - it's clear this person at least looked at my account.

No new developments since that.
    Edited by hiyde on May 3, 2014 5:39PM
    @Hiyde GM/Founder - Bleakrock Barter Co (Trade Guild - PC/NA) | Blackbriar Barter Co (Trade Guild-PC/NA)
  • lstongeb16_ESO
    Nothing new on my side either. I'm totally ignored for 3 days now. They won't answer my question about status.

It's 4pm now and I doubt my problem will be resolved today (or anytime).

ONE FULL WEEK NOW WITHOUT ABILITY TO PLAY

I hope they fix it for you at least sir.

Psykhos
  • hiyde
    hiyde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My situation has finally been resolved and I've been exonerated/reinstated.

The only advice I can offer is that it appears to be WHO gets your ticket that controls how long until / whether it gets resolved.

My process took a week.

- My first ticket was never acted upon beyond the first 12 hours when they asked 'what error code are you getting'

- In the one phone call I had with them, I was told my situation was being 'escalated' and that I'd get a callback 'within about 24 hours). No callback ever came.

- Friday, I sent an e-mail to Zenimax via their corporate site. That got turned into a NEW ticket - opened by "Steven the Stouthearted", who actually read my communication and acted on it, restoring my account 48 hours later.

I know of people who were banned before me that still do not have resolution and of people who've been able to quickly get a ban reversed with one phone call.

It appears to be very much 'luck of the draw'. "Representative Roulette" if you prefer lol
    Edited by hiyde on May 5, 2014 6:37PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hiyde wrote: »
    My situation has finally been resolved and I've been exonerated/reinstated.

Congratulations!

Part of me wants to say that if this had happened to me, I would have just let it go after the first failed attempt.

However, the part of me that insists on seeing the gruesome details would want me to stick it out until reinstated and my name cleared.

After that...

So, sticking around?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • hiyde
    hiyde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I spoke too soon. After paying the $80, resubbing and logging in, my main (and only other than bank alt) character *still* cannot log in. Error: 326 "You have been suspended).

..sigh..