The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

Yes it's class change again

Zezin
Zezin
✭✭✭✭✭
With all the discontent with AwA recently, I just wanted to share a solution... A class change system that is in line with what we have in other games, not something you pay for in the crown store and more akin to changing builds in the armory station. If I'm being honest this would probably give me most(not all as race is still locked behind the crown store) of what I'm looking forward to with AwA, while at the same time not hurting the people who don't like the current implementation.
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Too late for this Update in any case. But even if they do eventually offer class change tokens, you can be darned sure it's going to be monetized. I'm honestly surprised AwA wasn't.
    Edited by silvereyes on February 27, 2022 2:56AM
  • Zezin
    Zezin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    silvereyes wrote: »
    Too late for this Update in any case. But even if they do eventually offer class change tokens, you can be darned sure it's going to be monetized. I'm honestly surprised AwA wasn't. Maybe even ZOS is embarrassed to actually charge for this mess.

If they announced something like this and said it would be a feature of the next chapter I'd be happy to wait, I do have to agree with you on the monetization though, a class change system would decrease sales of skill lines and skyshards.
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With AWA they are making alts less desirable. The armory system had already rendered them less useful - depending on how one plays.

It wouldn't surprise me if they introduce class change tokens in the future. If it does happen, I have no doubt it will be a paid feature.
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want to see ZoS dig themselves into yet another hole they can't dig themselves out of.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too late for this Update in any case. But even if they do eventually offer class change tokens, you can be darned sure it's going to be monetized. I'm honestly surprised AwA wasn't. Maybe even ZOS is embarrassed to actually charge for this mess.
    Zezin wrote: »

If they announced something like this and said it would be a feature of the next chapter I'd be happy to wait, I do have to agree with you on the monetization though, a class change system would decrease sales of skill lines and skyshards.

What they can do is offer it for free and every time you want to switch class you have to level all of your skill lines again if you ever decided to switch back, however if you pay crowns for the class change you can freely switch back and forth between classes with the leveling of all class skills where you left off. Implement some kind of a cooldown so people can’t abuse the system like say locking a character into its class for 30 days under the free system versus 24 hours for paid and you’ve got something that can both be monetized and free if you are willing to put in the time. That’s all the crown store really is for skill lines and race changes just a shortcut to save time.
  • Zezin
    Zezin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zezin wrote: »

What they can do is offer it for free and every time you want to switch class you have to level all of your skill lines again if you ever decided to switch back, however if you pay crowns for the class change you can freely switch back and forth between classes with the leveling of all class skills where you left off. Implement some kind of a cooldown so people can’t abuse the system like say locking a character into its class for 30 days under the free system versus 24 hours for paid and you’ve got something that can both be monetized and free if you are willing to put in the time. That’s all the crown store really is for skill lines and race changes just a shortcut to save time.

No that would be the same as not having it at all for me, I don't mind leveling a second class on a character once, but I want to change at any time I want without cooldowns.
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or they could make it a tabbed style to the armory system and then treat the “class change” as unlocking and losing access to skill lines like it does with vampire and werewolf for each of the tabs

obviously to monetize it they would only give a second “class” for all players, another added as an ESO+ and in true ESO fashion the rest would be a per character crown store purchase
  • Zezin
    Zezin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bleakz wrote: »
    Or they could make it a tabbed style to the armory system and then treat the “class change” as unlocking and losing access to skill lines like it does with vampire and werewolf for each of the tabs

obviously to monetize it they would only give a second “class” for all players, another added as an ESO+ and in true ESO fashion the rest would be a per character crown store purchase

Not as bad as a token, I'd be fine with that.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It would be monetized. Probably be a per character class unlock item through a class change table and you have to pay 5000 clowns each to unlock each class per character.
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would actually pay crowns if they make classes unlockable within a character.
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KMarble wrote: »
    With AWA they are making alts less desirable. The armory system had already rendered them less useful - depending on how one plays..

For me it's the opposite. I'm looking forward to actually playing my alts instead of knowing that everything I'm doing is completely wasted because I should be playing my main character instead.
  • Mushroomancer
    Mushroomancer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the problem with this is that at this point a lot of players, myself included, have made a bunch of alts just to play different class/role combinations. Just up and making a system that basically tells them "Yeah, all of that you did? Worthless. Now pay up and play every class on the same character". I get that with account-wide achievements it does feel like we're playing one character to some, but at least alts still have a purpose.

And as many have stated in this thread, they are gonna monetize the *** out of it, so what's the point? It would still be less of an asking price to make use of your 8 base character slots and make do with those, than having to spend what would inevitably be an ungodly amount just to swap classes every now and then. And yes, I do think they would overprice such a feature, like pretty much every "service" thing you can buy in the CS (still can't wrap my head around the price of outfit slots).
    joerginger wrote: »
    With AWA they are making alts less desirable. The armory system had already rendered them less useful - depending on how one plays..

For me it's the opposite. I'm looking forward to actually playing my alts instead of knowing that everything I'm doing is completely wasted because I should be playing my main character instead.

Yes, thank you. That's the main reason why I'm excited about this update. And I get the fact that it's really rough around the edges, but I still appreciate the idea.
    PC | EU 1600+ CP

Chews-On-Shrooms - Argonian (EP) | Healer Warden
    I know I have a problem, leave me alone:

Nirya Urayel - Altmer (EP) | Healer/Magicka Templar
    Ulen Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Nightblade
    Anise Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Dragonknight
    Vivienne Rielle - Breton (EP) | Hybrid Healer/Magicka Necromancer
    Gaspar Rielle - Breton (DC) | Magicka Sorcerer
    Ulfgar the Foul - Nord (EP) | Tank Necromancer
    Plays-With-Chains - Argonian (EP) | Tank Dragonknight
    Sonje the Wild - Nord (EP) | Tank Warden
    Brutus Lovidicus - Imperial (EP) | Tank Nightblade
    Velms Ienith - Dunmer (EP) | Tank Sorcerer
    Cassius Lanius - Imperial (EP) | Tank/Stamina Templar
    Shakar-gro-Khazgur - Orc (DC) | Stamina Dragonknight
    Liette Nightwind - Bosmer (AD) | Stamina Nightblade
    Ja'khar the Salty - Khajiit (EP) | Stamina Necromancer
    Saadia al-Tava - Redguard (EP) | Stamina Sorcerer
    Gwinas Hemp-Burner - Bosmer (EP) | Stamina Warden
    Grand Master Crafter, All Dungeon HM up to Stonethorn, vCrag HM, vDSA, vMA, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vHOF HM, vAS+2, Gryphon Heart, vBRP, vSS HM (Extinguisher of Flames),
    vKA HM (Shield of the North), vRG 1/3HM
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So much this. It was the main reason everything I was doing was done on my main. Now I won't have to feel bad about playing my alts.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the problem with this is that at this point a lot of players, myself included, have made a bunch of alts just to play different class/role combinations. Just up and making a system that basically tells them "Yeah, all of that you did? Worthless.

Here is how it will break down.

1. Do we make more money selling skill lines, skyshards, and such a la carte?
    2. Do we make more money selling class changes and losing possible sales of number 1?

Say a player spends 10K crowns per alt avoiding the grind of setting up an alt, one time versus a player with 1 character doing multiple 3K class changes.

Assume long term players like me did all of this before the crown options were even available, so no sales options there. So there is some calculation as to the market size of either options. I don't what they growth rate is of new players (1 year or less).

• KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll quote myself again:

DEPENDING ON HOW ONE PLAYS

Regardless, this thread isn't about AWA, it's about a hypothetical future feature that would allow players to change classes on their already existing characters.
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    class change ill ruin the game
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Class change would have a negative impact on the game.

Every patch you'd have a large amount of people changing their main character to whatever class is meta. Especially in pvp. Yes people can make new characters but there's a lot of work and time that goes into that, which is a good thing.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Valakar86
    Valakar86
    Soul Shriven
    For casual gamers like a class change token would be an amazing freature. I don't have the same amount of time than other players and Invested a lot of my free time playing a class that at the end didn't like me. So I had to start a new alt, and eventually got bored and get back to my main char because didn't want to start from the scratch.

So I think it would be great to have this freature and won't mine to pay 5k Cr or whatever to have it while saving my time which it is really important.
  • Zezin
    Zezin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valakar86 wrote: »
    For casual gamers like a class change token would be an amazing freature. I don't have the same amount of time than other players and Invested a lot of my free time playing a class that at the end didn't like me. So I had to start a new alt, and eventually got bored and get back to my main char because didn't want to start from the scratch.

So I think it would be great to have this freature and won't mine to pay 5k Cr or whatever to have it while saving my time which it is really important.

This game is already has too many things in the clown store, if they added it in the way you're suggesting then I'd rather not have it at all.
  • LesserCircle
    LesserCircle
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Every patch you'd have a large amount of people changing their main character to whatever class is meta. Especially in pvp. Yes people can make new characters but there's a lot of work and time that goes into that, which is a good thing.

In my opinion this is a very weak point. A player changing their main character class to a meta one already has alts with that meta class, like 100%. There's nothing stopping them from doing it now and they certainly do. I want a class change token for my really old 2014 character that is a templar. Templar is so boring to me now, it's just jabs and more jabs, both magicka and stamina and it being such an old character it can't be replaced in any way for me.
  • LesserCircle
    LesserCircle
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion this is a very weak point. A player changing their main character class to a meta one already has alts with that meta class, like 100%. There's nothing stopping them from doing it now and they certainly do. I want a class change token for my really old 2014 character that is a templar. Templar is so boring to me now, it's just jabs and more jabs, both magicka and stamina and it being such an old character it can't be replaced in any way for me.

EDIT: It could also be a really expensive change like 5000 crowns or even a limited 1 time per character or 1 time every 6 months for example.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "AWA means players won't know how to play a class and get into content!"

"Class change token seem legit and a good idea!"
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Meh... its not that hard to level a new character of the class you want to change to. Just make another character.
    Playing since beta...
  • Zezin
    Zezin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kojou wrote: »
    Meh... its not that hard to level a new character of the class you want to change to. Just make another character.

Leveling is fine the problem is grinding all the skill lines.
  • Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want to see ZoS dig themselves into yet another hole they can't dig themselves out of.

Shoot, not me! I want to see ZOS figure things out and start moving in a direction to where when they say "update" I'm excited instead of anxious--if not fearful.
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah its easy levelling new characters but then ive gotta buy all the motifs again and do a bunch of research again for each of the 7 useless templars i have on my account for daily writs. Anyway im quite sure even though itd be great to have i dont think it will happen class change, ive levelled a brand new non crafting account now so atleast i have more options in the combat dept.😁
    Edited by endgamesmug on January 16, 2023 6:16AM
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Personally, I'd like skill points gained from story line quests to be account wide

They have already monetized sky shards, so I don't hold out hope.

Bugs me to have a character with every possible skill point, and create an alt to have it struggling to find enough for a build.