Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Never have the threads of fate become so twisted...

• TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Eh, Naryu would be a thousand times better than Evelie and Jakarn.

I'd agree but still if she's there just for the sake of old familiar face it would flop just the same as those two. She's already reappeared with some unknown to us lore about things we've done, so with such approach I won't be expecting much.

Sadly, you're most likely correct. In the long run, I really prefer no recycled NPCs from years ago.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd agree but still if she's there just for the sake of old familiar face it would flop just the same as those two. She's already reappeared with some unknown to us lore about things we've done, so with such approach I won't be expecting much.

I agree. If they recycle an old character, in my opinion it should be meaningful and make sense storywise. If there's some Morag Tong side quest somewhere and she returns there - I'm fine with that. But if she's not really related to the content of the main story, they shouldn't include her there.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »

I agree. If they recycle an old character, in my opinion it should be meaningful and make sense storywise. If there's some Morag Tong side quest somewhere and she returns there - I'm fine with that. But if she's not really related to the content of the main story, they shouldn't include her there.

Oh, I'd love more Morag Tong content... but I find it limiting that we're always focused on returning characters. Nayru making a cameo appearance would be perfectly fine as long as they also gave us another interesting, fully fleshed-out character to swoon over develop a rapport with.
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    - Tamriel has been under heavy daedric invasions lately (Molag Baal, Dagon, etc.), even time and reality itself might be in balance at some points (Nchuthnkarst quest, Dragons, time-bending mages and druids, etc.)
    - Vvardenfell is now part of base game
    - There are many unused places in Vvardenfell, which I always suspected were more than placeholders for just 1 crystal to collect in a Telvanni sidequest.
    - Thaddeus Cosma specifically said he knew our character, but we have only seen him once so far.
    - The quest "face of change" in Blackwood tells us that the watchlings of Hermaeus Mora can somehow get tired of watching and may want to flee Apocrypha.

(pure speculation)
    My guess is that Hermaeus' minions have gone wild, destroying some knowldege to cover their flee, leaving Hermaeus blind on enough events so that the timeline may be in danger. Hermaeus asks us to recollect missing knowledge and hunt for rebel watchling(s). Thaddeus Cosma helps in finding the parts hidden in time, while Divayth Fyr will help find the parts hidden in other planes ; we will need both to find everything.

[Edit] (even more speculation)
    Another daedric prince took upon Hermaeus' knowledge to become more powerful than intended - let's say Peryite. Lyranth will help restore some balance of power next year.

Hermaeus Mora will then ally with the Psijiic order to fix the timeline, probably next year the year after.
    Edited by MerguezMan on January 24, 2023 8:48AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MerguezMan wrote: »
    - Thaddeus Cosma specifically said he knew our character, but we have only seen him once so far.

We should not meet Thaddeus Cosma anywhere else in Elder Scrolls Online. If we do, the encounter in Nchuthnkarst is destroyed and is no longer a mysterious meeting.

Then again, ZOS really shouldn't reuse Alchemy from Summerset Isle, either. :neutral:

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

We should not meet Thaddeus Cosma anywhere else in Elder Scrolls Online. If we do, the encounter in Nchuthnkarst is destroyed and is no longer a mysterious meeting.

Then again, ZOS really shouldn't reuse Alchemy from Summerset Isle, either. :neutral:

I'm almost 100% sure we'll see the man, but I'd love to witness zos moving from their "everything at the same time" trope to have proper timeline for stories to actually play out without vanishing into inexistence or being broken encounters later. So characters like Eveli won't have same brain damage issues like the Vestige moving forward because "play how you want" and others would be able to have a proper arc.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cosma knew us because he is/was Abnur Tharn. The resemblance is not coincidental. The inability to choose him to save Tamriel in the main story was not coincidental. He has a bigger role yet to play, in my opinion. I, for one, would like to see his story developed.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

Cosma knew us because he is/was Abnur Tharn. The resemblance is not coincidental. The inability to choose him to save Tamriel in the main story was not coincidental. He has a bigger role yet to play, in my opinion. I, for one, would like to see his story developed.

Hard as it may be, Jaraal, don't be silly. He was the only one who knew the ritual and they didn't have time to teach anyone else.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Syldras on January 24, 2023 9:18PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Through they're the same person when saw first time as he's clearly alive, but close comparison actually gave me confidence it's just a tease from zos or a coincidence.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, they look quite similar, but it's not that Abnur was the only older Imperial with that beard in ESO, so that's not a certain giveaway.

From the dialogue, I'd say, he is someone we either already encountered or who we will encounter again in the future, though:
    Player character: "Do I know you?"
    Thaddeus Cosma: "That depends. What year is it?"

Edited by Syldras on January 24, 2023 10:08PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked up other angles on that site and they don't really look similar.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You could argue that people can change optically over time. Even things like their facial traits when they get older (the distribution of body fat changes), let alone their physique as a whole.

Still, I don't think Abnur and Thaddeus are the same person.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You could argue that people can change optically over time. Even things like their facial traits when they get older (the distribution of body fat changes), let alone their physique as a whole.

Still, I don't think Abnur and Thaddeus are the same person.

Also entirely possible that the person who drew Tharn the first time 12 years ago was no longer with the company when work on Greymoor began.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also entirely possible that the person who drew Tharn the first time 12 years ago was no longer with the company when work on Greymoor began.

I'd assume they just use the old character model and change only the clothing. There's no need to make a completely new model.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd assume they just use the old character model and change only the clothing. There's no need to make a completely new model.

I wouldn’t assume that, but then again I’m not a professional animator.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has there ever been an explanation for this?
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Telvanni_Requirements
    I wouldn’t assume that, but then again I’m not a professional animator.

They recycle as much as they can, no matter if it comes to characters or things like clothing/costumes or furniture. They just reuse old models and change them a bit if there's a need for that.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope we get offered a dillema similar to one in the mages guild guestline

Knowledge and power vs "Doing the right thing" >:)
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the "two worlds" mentioned are the world of the living and that of the dead (if it's not the obvious Nirn and Apocrypha)? Thinking of Dunmer ancestral veneration, bloodlines, and such. Culturally seen, even a little disorder could lead to bigger troubles there. Not sure if it would be interesting for most people, though. Well, we'll see in 8 hours or so.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw a screenshot of the location, cat's out the bag.

New chapter confirmed! See you at the reveal. :)
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah but I'd just chime in to remind people going forward that posting anything related to mined content is bannable now on forums, so better not being too concrete to avoid problems.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah but I'd just chime in to remind people going forward that posting anything related to mined content is bannable now on forums, so better not being too concrete to avoid problems.

Nah it was an official Zenimax artwork. A little early, though. No spoilers here.

Edited by Jaraal on January 25, 2023 11:54AM
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah it was an official Zenimax artwork. A little early, though. No spoilers here.

It was leaked by IGN.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if the place is known, it can still be anything between a lore deepdive and a stereotypical hollywoodesque story about some "random extremely powerful artifact being dangerous in the wrong hands" in a moldy cellar somewhere.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it has the potential to disrupt two worlds, then I'm guessing it has something to do with the barriers between the two worlds.

Though why would Hermaeus Mora care?
    Edited by BretonMage on January 25, 2023 12:24PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »

That's the big question. I don't see him intervening if it doesn't also threaten his realm. If it would just be about the end of Nirn alone (and therefore him losing the possibility to gain knowledge of mortals), he would have already acted during each other crisis within the last few years.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    If it has the potential to disrupt two worlds, then I'm guessing it has something to do with the barriers between the two worlds.

He would care if one of the two worlds mentioned is his domain, Apocrypha.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    He would care if one of the two worlds mentioned is his domain, Apocrypha.

If it's that, certainly. I've been wondering though if there might be a bit more about it than the most obvious thing that comes to one's mind.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, "the future of at least two worlds hangs in the balance". So possibly Nirn, Apocrypha, and a third. Weakening barriers between Nirn and another world may threaten to expose forbidden knowledge.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it be something abstract, like the world of knowledge? It could be figurative, rather than literal.