The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

165hz on a laptop supported?

DeltaForce64x
DeltaForce64x
✭✭✭
Can I run ESO on a gaming laptop that have 165hz refresh mode, it is wired to the wall via extension cable. Or am I going to have black screen issues, thanks
Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 23, 2023 7:08PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my desktop monitor is 165hz, so i frequently run the game at around 150 fps without any issues (the game by default has a hard cap of 100 FPS unless you adjust the settings)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are addons that allow you to unlock the framerate cap. 100 FPS seems like a weird place to artificially cap if you ask me. I have a 200hz Ultra wide monitor and 3080 TI. I typically cap at 144Hz. I think most people are kidding themselves if they think they can tell a difference much above that TBH. I can run very stable with my setup in ultra settings @ 144 hz @ 3440x1440. I have gone as high as 180, but the game is not quite stable that high. To my eyes, 144 locked looks better than frames bouncing from 165-180.

Whether or not you can run 165 comes down mostly to your GPU, desired graphics settings, and Resolution of your screen (ESO specifically is also fairly CPU intensive). I can easily run 200plus frames in 1920x1080, but couldn't do that in Ultra Wide or 4k. I would only go as high as what you can run stable 99% of the time at your desired graphics settings and resolution. I want to run with max graphics on an ultra wide monitor, so with my setup, 144hz seems to be the sweet spot.

Its essentially a 3 way balancing act. Pick your desired Graphics settings, your screen determines your resolution, and your GPU/CPU will determine how many frames you can pump out. I would cap 10-15% below of your average stable frame rate. If you rarely see 165 FPS, dont cap it there.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on January 18, 2023 7:35PM
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are addons that allow you to unlock the framerate cap. 100 FPS seems like a weird place to artificially cap if you ask me.
    I agree but this is a 2014 game started many years earlier when the PC masterrace was boasting about a standard 60FPS compared to the PS3/360's standard 30FPS so I'm not surprised about the 100Hz soft limit and am frankly shocked that we can reach 100FPS normally without issue given the games code issues.
  • Dreepa
    Dreepa
    ✭✭✭
    100 FPS limit so gfx card doesn't go all vacuum cleaner mode, I guess.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the PC Technical Support section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • DeltaForce64x
    DeltaForce64x
    ✭✭✭
    Well thanks everyone and I do sorry for late reply. I did switched from 60hz to 165hz played a bit for like 20mins or so and my RTX 3060 and CPU cooked eggs on them so ı switched back to 60hz.

Such a shame in todays tech laptop cooling still broken and I have no idea why people begging for thin laptops as they have very limited space for cooling.

Mind you, somehow laptop works fine even when CPU power reduced to %25 max from Windows Power Settings AND still gets quite warm and hot. I have to use and monitor temps with HWinfo64 did put alarms for temps so I can become even more paranoid.