Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What zones/quests have the most combat?

Dreepa
Dreepa
✭✭✭
Hi,

could anyone experienced give me a heads-up what zones have a good amount of quests that involve fewer story elements and more fighting?
For example, what I am not looking for is quests like Khenarthis roost main quest style "Investigate murder, talk to ppl a lot etc." but more like cold harbour story line, move and fight with dialogues inbetween.

Thanks!
Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 2, 2023 5:47PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craglorn has a lot of combat.
    PCNA
  • Dreepa
    Dreepa
    ✭✭✭
    YES!
    Craglorn was the most fun I have had with my mate playing ESO since I returned one week ago (played a lot in 2014 and then some in 2018, but quit due to overland boredom).

Craglorn was the first time (we played it today) where we felt like we were playing a video game with actual combat mechanics.

Unfortunately it is just this one zone.

But I digress. Generally speaking, I was looking for more of that "free-style" feeling. While questing stories can be nice, I need a change once in a while, but dungeons are not it (when doing dungeons, 2 randoms get queued with us and just steamroll the entire content without us having any gameplay left).
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, I'm not sure I know what you're really looking for, but as for zones with almost non-stop mobs, you can't go wrong with Shadowfen and Murkmire.

No matter where you go there, you'll wind up in combat every few feet.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly if you are looking to get into combat oriented stuff (and why wouldn't you, it's one of ESO's strong points) then you should try stuff like dungeons, trials, and pvp. Overland and quests are simply not catered to that sort of thing.
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    1) Craglorn
    2) Imperial city
    3) Wrothgar
    4) Most of Coldharbor (you will need to go through the main quest to access it, or have someone taxi you there, the upper zone is opened by regular overland questing, though)
    5) almost any public dungeon (except Grathwood once finished, and the quest version of Old Orsinium, which can be annoying)
    6) Cyrodiil (requires that you know what you're doing - but there's a lot of combat there)
    7) Trials (requires a full group, or prepare for a hard time) and Arenas (DSA can be soloed, BRP requires a group, and you also have the 2 solo arenas)

Also please note you can go into dungeons without queueing, and should be able to clear most with only 2 people on "normal" version. If you're having a bad time with people rushing dungeons, try to gather a full group and get a hit on Veteran versions.

Bonus combat: Gold coast and Hew's bane without using stealth at all (masochistic version of those quests).
    Edited by MerguezMan on January 2, 2023 7:26AM
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khenarthi's roost example isn't that correct since many locations have similar things. Since you mentioned Coldharbour, there is Manor with quest to save Stibbons from daedric trickery. Almost the whole quest we just talk here and there.
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pop open a rift in Craglorn,if you want combat. LOL.
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Janni wrote: »
    Honestly if you are looking to get into combat oriented stuff (and why wouldn't you, it's one of ESO's strong points) then you should try stuff like dungeons, trials, and pvp. Overland and quests are simply not catered to that sort of thing.

Craglorn combat is (or rather was) different IMHO in the sense that the opposition felt stronger and better coordinated than other overland content without being categorically different the way world bosses, dungeons and trials are. I wish ZoS did provide more of that.
    Edited by Muizer on January 2, 2023 9:53AM
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Definitely Craglorn. It's quests all involve fighting, because it was designed for "veteran" level players. It was heavily nerfed with One Tamriel, but its roadside mobs are still more of a challenge than usual mobs.

Of the more conventional zones, I'd say Wrothgar - it has a fine main quest that does involve a fair bit of fighting (though also some run-around); it has daily world bosses and daily delve quests; it has the maelstrom arena. It's also pretty big compared to more recent chapters/DLC, there's a lot to do there.

Unfortunately when you consider questing alone in the other zones there will be a lot of "go there, pick up this" type quests. I think they do it as a way to encourage you to explore, and possibly pick up side quests along the way.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much has been said here. If you're wanting combat with no/little story/quests then pvp is gonna be your best bet. You can solo dungeons, no need to que and run them at your own pace. BG dm used to be fun(I spend my pvp time in cyro now)
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of quests are "Go talk to So-and-So" because it's a story that's being played through, not unlike aTV show or movie. Even action shows have talking in between the fighting. But Craglorn does have more combat than the other zones, along with group areas and the rifts that another poster mentioned. There are also group Delves.

As was also mentioned it did used to be much more difficult before One Tamriel and required groups for pretty much everything. Because of this it failed but they still left it more challenging than the other zones.
    PCNA
  • Dreepa
    Dreepa
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of quests are "Go talk to So-and-So" because it's a story that's being played through, not unlike aTV show or movie. Even action shows have talking in between the fighting. But Craglorn does have more combat than the other zones, along with group areas and the rifts that another poster mentioned. There are also group Delves.

As was also mentioned it did used to be much more difficult before One Tamriel and required groups for pretty much everything. Because of this it failed but they still left it more challenging than the other zones.

Yeah, but I was just looking for the quests where the percentage of fighting is high. I don't mind questing.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dreepa wrote: »
    YES!
    Craglorn was the most fun I have had with my mate playing ESO since I returned one week ago (played a lot in 2014 and then some in 2018, but quit due to overland boredom).

Craglorn was the first time (we played it today) where we felt like we were playing a video game with actual combat mechanics.

Unfortunately it is just this one zone.

But I digress. Generally speaking, I was looking for more of that "free-style" feeling. While questing stories can be nice, I need a change once in a while, but dungeons are not it (when doing dungeons, 2 randoms get queued with us and just steamroll the entire content without us having any gameplay left).

Most normal dungeons can be duoed, I think, just don't use the group finder if you don't want to be queued with randoms. Also, don't delves and public dungeons all have an associated quest? Those will give you quite a bit of fighting within a small story quest.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭

Just wanted to chime in since you use a term that gets thrown around a lot for some things in this game. Specifically you said that this concept 'failed' I don't think that's a good way to look at it. It may not have been popular but that doesn't necessarily mean that it failed except from a salesperson's point of view I guess.

I wasn't around when the game was like that but I've heard stories from those that were and they all seems to remember it fondly. There's even an entire thread permanently pinned thread in the forum dedicated to the topic of harder overland content. On top of that I do often hear grumblings from players and content creators that suggest many of them are seeking something like what Craglorn apparently used to be. So maybe it took time for the idea to grow on the playerbase, or maybe it just isn't a popular idea given the demographics but I don't think using the term 'failed' is quite fair since clearly there is some demand for it. I know personally I would love to have an entire zone that required me to group up with some friends just to get through it. That doesn't mean I want everything in the game to be like that. But even one zone sounds like something I would enjoy as it wouldn't merely be for sightseeing and late-night farming sessions when I can't sleep and don't want to have to think about what I'm interacting with.
  • Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭
    craglorn, imperial city, cyrodiil, trials, dungeons, arenas
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Janni wrote: »

Just wanted to chime in since you use a term that gets thrown around a lot for some things in this game. Specifically you said that this concept 'failed' I don't think that's a good way to look at it. It may not have been popular but that doesn't necessarily mean that it failed except from a salesperson's point of view I guess.

I wasn't around when the game was like that but I've heard stories from those that were and they all seems to remember it fondly.

I was around when the game was like that and it was so difficult that you had to have a group for everything, including quests. It was impossible to quest because no one was doing them and they couldn't be solo'd. All players did was zerg around the zone and there were no more solo zones once a player completed Cadwell's Silver and Gold.

A lot of players quit, myself included, until they changed things with One Tamriel. And it did fail which is why they scrapped their plans for a second adventure zone.
    PCNA
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for combat related questing i would agree with the ones mentioning:
    • craglorn
    • public dungeons
    • group dungeons
    • 4 man arenas (DSA/BRP)

most other quests generally speaking have minimal actual combat (delves have some but if theres even another player there most enemies will be dead)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014