Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does Dragon Knight Healer need a buff?

FeedbackOnly
FeedbackOnly
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Do you think they need a buff?

Does Dragon Knight Healer need a buff? 50 votes

Yes
48% 24 votes
No
42% 21 votes
Slightly
8% 4 votes
Other
2% 1 vote
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight healers are incredible in PvP when done right, and in PvE, they are the only kit that provide reliable crowd control to the group.

Healer builds do more than just give a player more health, they support them, and Dragonknights have the best support abilities in the game, to name a few you have…

Igneous Weapons granting Major Sorcery/Brutality to the group for over a minute,

Choking Talons an ability that is a root giving Minor Maim and a synergy,

Unrelenting Grip, a class chain.

Fragmented Shield, an ability that grants a ward to EVERYONE, to buffer your heals and grants you Major Mending(that’s massive)

Now for their extremely strong healing abilities…

Cinder Storm being a ground based HoT that gives the group Minor Brutality, and applies a 70% snare on any enemies in the area while giving you back almost 1,000 stamina for free, a very valuable resource for anyone, and 3 ultimate every 6 seconds.

Obsidian Shard as direct heal on demand to 2 players, also granting Minor Brutality to the group, and returning stamina to you and ultimate; like previously mentioned.

Cauterize, an auto heal every 5 seconds that also gives you Major Prophecy while slotted.

In summary, the class has a whole lot going for it in all departments, the last thing DK needs would be another heal.
    Edited by The_Titan_Tim on December 20, 2022 11:37PM
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t think DK healers are bad they’re just more of a meme than actually used*, at least from what I’ve seen. Like templar tanks, a valid spec just one that’s extremely rare.

* They’re not used in trials because of the DK tank and DK dps, there’s no need to use a healer spot on DK healer when it doesn’t give any unique buffs. Adding a unique buff to DK healer would not change this as the tank or dps would slot the skill or activate the passive.
    Edited by Soarora on December 21, 2022 12:41AM
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.

So, in general I would say DKs deserve a better set of abilities and passives for healing. Especially an ability to heal 6+ players in an area (Cinder Storm is awful for that, the cost, the animation, ... , urgh).

But,

I do not see this happening without cutting into deep the ability set of the tank. Nearly all heals of the class are self centred and or scale if max health. And just like cauterize, for example, they have special limitations and mechanics to them that make the abilities highly unsuited for playing a healer.

Talons, Grip and the Shield are TANK abilities. They have effects that are essential for tanking on the class. You do not want to jump down that rabbit hole and change them...
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fragmented Shield should scale with higher from stamina and magicka. It is healer morph, but it scale as tank morph.
    This would make DK healer freake good in some specific situation.
  • Icyfire369
    Icyfire369
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @gariondavey for pinging me.

So! Since I run a dedicated PvP Healer channel on YouTube, let me chime in.

I've said this multiple times on my channel regarding using Oakensoul, "The DK Healer thrives when you don't use any DK abilities," and "The DK Healer is the BEST and my FAVORITE No-Class Healer."

I can easily get 3-4+ mil healing numbers in BGs on a DK just by running my standard setup of Illustrious Healing - Blessing of Restoration - Race Against Time - Radiating Regeneration - Echoing Vigor - Life Giver (ultimate). On other classes, I can easily swap out Illustrious Healing / Blessing of Restoration for Class Heals and do the same amount of heals if not more.

The moment you slot any of the DK heal abilities, that will harm your HEALING numbers overall because the DK heals just don't compare with how consistent other heals are.

Some examples:

Cinder Storm - actually has MORE heal per tick compared to Illustrious Healing and GREAT utility (70% Snare) BUT! The reason why Illustrious Healing heals more is because of the radius of the ground HoT.

Cauterize - I love this heal a lot because it automatically heals someone every few seconds so it's one less thing I have to worry about AND it can heal myself too. BUT it heals significantly less (i'd argue 50% less) compared to other class burst heals like Polar Winds, Honor the Dead, Resistance Flesh, Twilight Matriarch and Healthy Offering.

Obsidian Shard - Now this heal DOES compare and might even heal for more than the class burst heals I just mentioned above. HOWEVER what is the problem with it?

1) It's a projectile that requires you to HIT an enemy with it to proc the heal. This HEAL-Projectile can be dodged by an enemy! Wtf?? Heals need to be reliable and this is not that.

2) When you are being attacked, you need your burst heal to help you recover. Usually, you are NOT facing your enemy and trying to run away and line of sight. During these moments it's impossible to use Obsidian Shard because you need to FACE your attacker. Normally you would just use Coagulating Blood BUT on Oakensoul builds you just don't have the bar space. And on Two Bar Builds, it's a waste of an ability because all the OTHER CLASS BURST HEALS can heal yourself OR your ally. The DK requires two burst heals, one for me, and one for an ally.

Recommendation for Obsidian Shard redesign:
    I've said it multiple times already on my channel, but to make the DK Healer viable all you need to do make Obsidian Shard function the same as Resistant Flesh (Necro). It's a conal burst heal that can affect the user or ally AND instead of giving armor like the Necro does, it will grant a damage shield since damage shields are the theme of the DK. This is all you would need to do to put DK on the map. This is why the NB Healer became viable as soon as they made the change so that Healthy Offering would heal the caster instead of ONLY the ally. @ZOS_Kevin - I'd love to hear your thoughts on this redesign!

Now the DK does OFFER a ton of utility. That's without a doubt! Pulls (Unrelenting Grip), Stuns (Fossilize), Immobilizations (Talons) and Snares (Cinder Storm). Damage Shields (Fragmented Shield, Magma Armor), Synergies (Talons/Standard) and group buffs (Minor Brutality + Major Brutality/Sorcery).

And the Battle Roar passive is SO GOOD! Literally a free tri-stat potion whenever you use your ultimate.

It's only the heals that are lackluster but even then, I'd only recommend a slight REDESIGN to Obsidian Shard, and I'd be good to go to run confidently as a DK Healer.
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Icyfire369 wrote: »
    1) It's a projectile that requires you to HIT an enemy with it to proc the heal. This HEAL-Projectile can be dodged by an enemy! Wtf?? Heals need to be reliable and this is not that.

I've said it multiple times already on my channel, but to make the DK Healer viable all you need to do make Obsidian Shard function the same as Resistant Flesh (Necro). It's a conal burst heal that can affect the user or ally AND instead of giving armor like the Necro does, it will grant a damage shield since damage shields are the theme of the DK. This is all you would need to do to put DK on the map.

I could get behind this as long as it doesn’t turn into yet another overpowered ability that every Dragonknight would start running instead of Coag, because I agree, that having a conditional burst heal is pretty bad, as it has been with Sorcerer pets, the only way that condition worked, was when it acted as a stun.
  • Dayhjawk
    Dayhjawk
    ✭✭✭
    most DK abilities scales off health, like their shields, as a healer you scale mag. so you can never provide strong enough shields for late game trials. If you lower you mag for more health then your healing suffers. I can see DK healers providing shields to others if it would scale off whatever is higher health or mag. They might not have the healing strength of others classes but timing those shields before a bit hit I can see being usefully. Also plays into mastery of the class as a healer. DK tank and dps is great...but I just don't see the DK healer being viable for vet trials and beyond because the way their abilities scale. Play the way you want is what they are pushing, but the non-meta roles just cant. Vet content and beyond is and has been balanced around the meta. Its time to look and balance the non-meta setups so players can play the way they want.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a DK healer I think we're fine. If you were to buff us we'd essentially be the most OP class in the game so... please no.

I think some QoL improvements would be nice though like making Cinder Storm look more inviting for players to stand in. The biggest problem with DK's actual healing abilities is they don't look like healing abilities and players subconsciously try to avoid them. It's incredibly annoying tbh...
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, no. Dks don’t need buffs at the moment.

Magsorc does.

And it won’t be getting any.

Not a one.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight healers are incredible in PvP when done right
    Soarora wrote: »
    I don’t think DK healers are bad they’re just more of a meme than actually used*, at least from what I’ve seen.
    Vevvev wrote: »
    As a DK healer I think we're fine. If you were to buff us we'd essentially be the most OP class in the game so... please no.

As a MagDK healer in PVP, yep ^
    We're not common, but we do combine the DK's natural tankiness and crowd control with either our own healing skills or the sort of healing skills that anyone can use. We're excellent when used as a supplemental healer to Templars and Wardens. I never felt I needed more healing options, personally.

On the PVE side, it's worth noting that DKs were the original tank class, which means ZOS has to tread carefully with anything that could make us THE one and only tank class again. They also remember the days of DK tanks using high health builds to shield groups through hard content, so they'll probably be cautious.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Icyfire369 wrote: »
    Thanks @gariondavey for pinging me.

So! Since I run a dedicated PvP Healer channel on YouTube, let me chime in.

I've said this multiple times on my channel regarding using Oakensoul, "The DK Healer thrives when you don't use any DK abilities," and "The DK Healer is the BEST and my FAVORITE No-Class Healer."

I can easily get 3-4+ mil healing numbers in BGs on a DK just by running my standard setup of Illustrious Healing - Blessing of Restoration - Race Against Time - Radiating Regeneration - Echoing Vigor - Life Giver (ultimate). On other classes, I can easily swap out Illustrious Healing / Blessing of Restoration for Class Heals and do the same amount of heals if not more.

The moment you slot any of the DK heal abilities, that will harm your HEALING numbers overall because the DK heals just don't compare with how consistent other heals are.

Some examples:

Cinder Storm - actually has MORE heal per tick compared to Illustrious Healing and GREAT utility (70% Snare) BUT! The reason why Illustrious Healing heals more is because of the radius of the ground HoT.

Cauterize - I love this heal a lot because it automatically heals someone every few seconds so it's one less thing I have to worry about AND it can heal myself too. BUT it heals significantly less (i'd argue 50% less) compared to other class burst heals like Polar Winds, Honor the Dead, Resistance Flesh, Twilight Matriarch and Healthy Offering.

Obsidian Shard - Now this heal DOES compare and might even heal for more than the class burst heals I just mentioned above. HOWEVER what is the problem with it?

2) When you are being attacked, you need your burst heal to help you recover. Usually, you are NOT facing your enemy and trying to run away and line of sight. During these moments it's impossible to use Obsidian Shard because you need to FACE your attacker. Normally you would just use Coagulating Blood BUT on Oakensoul builds you just don't have the bar space. And on Two Bar Builds, it's a waste of an ability because all the OTHER CLASS BURST HEALS can heal yourself OR your ally. The DK requires two burst heals, one for me, and one for an ally.

I've said it multiple times already on my channel, but to make the DK Healer viable all you need to do make Obsidian Shard function the same as Resistant Flesh (Necro). It's a conal burst heal that can affect the user or ally AND instead of giving armor like the Necro does, it will grant a damage shield since damage shields are the theme of the DK. This is all you would need to do to put DK on the map. This is why the NB Healer became viable as soon as they made the change so that Healthy Offering would heal the caster instead of ONLY the ally. @ZOS_Kevin - I'd love to hear your thoughts on this redesign!

Now the DK does OFFER a ton of utility. That's without a doubt! Pulls (Unrelenting Grip), Stuns (Fossilize), Immobilizations (Talons) and Snares (Cinder Storm). Damage Shields (Fragmented Shield, Magma Armor), Synergies (Talons/Standard) and group buffs (Minor Brutality + Major Brutality/Sorcery).

And the Battle Roar passive is SO GOOD! Literally a free tri-stat potion whenever you use your ultimate.

It's only the heals that are lackluster but even then, I'd only recommend a slight REDESIGN to Obsidian Shard, and I'd be good to go to run confidently as a DK Healer.

My idea for Obsidian Shard would be to make it a rock you throw at the ground rather then a target. This way no other change needs to made to the skill. Sure you would loss a little damage but in exchange you would not need a target for the skill to work.

Increase Cinder storm radius to 8m from 5m. In exchange decrease the snare to 40-50%. It would also help if the visuals were updated to make it a little easier to see.

Stay safe :)
  • xXCJsniperXx7
    xXCJsniperXx7
    ✭✭
    For me, making fragmented shield scale with stam/mag is golden. Just this and dk healer is S tier.