Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Weapon unsheathing bug, but only with one character

jabbrwokk
jabbrwokk
Soul Shriven
On one of my characters, I have a persistent bug where he automatically takes out his weapon. This happens:
  • Every time I load him
  • Every time I take a shrine to a new zone
  • Every time I go to one of my player houses
  • Every time I go to another player's house
  • when I reloadui
  • Regardless of which bar is selected (sword and shield or lightning staff)

It only happens with this one character. Things I have tried that have not fixed this:
  • Resetting all in-game preferences
  • Reloadui
  • Disabling add-ons (issue was happening before I installed any add-ons)
  • Removing all weapons and clearing both action bars (takes out his fists instead)

Is there some command line setting I can use to toggle this? It feels like the built-in autosheath is somehow toggled backwards.

The character affected is a Dark Elf Templar tank.

It's a minor issue, but as this is my main crafter / scryer it gets annoying after a while when I go on shopping sprees, search for leads, and do writs in multiple zones.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Edited by ZOS_Bill on January 20, 2023 2:42PM
  • Zastrix
    Zastrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    jabbrwokk wrote: »
    On one of my characters, I have a persistent bug where he automatically takes out his weapon. This happens:
    • Every time I load him
    • Every time I take a shrine to a new zone
    • Every time I go to one of my player houses
    • Every time I go to another player's house
    • when I reloadui
    • Regardless of which bar is selected (sword and shield or lightning staff)

It only happens with this one character. Things I have tried that have not fixed this:
    • Resetting all in-game preferences
    • Reloadui
    • Disabling add-ons (issue was happening before I installed any add-ons)
    • Removing all weapons and clearing both action bars (takes out his fists instead)

Is there some command line setting I can use to toggle this? It feels like the built-in autosheath is somehow toggled backwards.

The character affected is a Dark Elf Templar tank.

It's a minor issue, but as this is my main crafter / scryer it gets annoying after a while when I go on shopping sprees, search for leads, and do writs in multiple zones.

Thanks for any suggestions!

This DOES sound super weird... Can you backup your whole addon folder and delete it? While the game is turned off of course, and then launch it afterwards. Also, just because of paranoia, try to unplug your keyboard when logging in the character maybe some weird form of keyboard mapping is unsheathing.
    110-114k Stage 4 Vamprie Magblade u39
    Aldmeri Dominion did nothing wrong in Shadowfen.
  • jabbrwokk
    jabbrwokk
    Soul Shriven
    Zastrix wrote: »
    This DOES sound super weird... Can you backup your whole addon folder and delete it? While the game is turned off of course, and then launch it afterwards. Also, just because of paranoia, try to unplug your keyboard when logging in the character maybe some weird form of keyboard mapping is unsheathing.

Thank you for your response!

I tried backing up the addons folder and deleting it, also tried unplugging the KB before starting the game and logging in, issue persists.

I also tried deleting the LUAs out of the SavedVariables folder, still persists.

Weird how it only does this with one of my 6 characters. He's a Dark Elf, I guess he just really wants to fight all the time :(

Seriously though, this seems like a server-side issue at this point. I suspect something got toggled somehow on the server end.

• Telvannisaurus_Graax
    Telvannisaurus_Graax
    Soul Shriven
    Hi jabbrwokk,

Is your Dark Elf using the "Cutting Defense" Warfare CP ability?
    If so, try taking it off his CP bar for now, and see if he goes back to normal.
  • jabbrwokk
    jabbrwokk
    Soul Shriven
    Hi jabbrwokk,

Is your Dark Elf using the "Cutting Defense" Warfare CP ability?
    If so, try taking it off his CP bar for now, and see if he goes back to normal.

YESSSS! This was the issue. I took Cutting Defense off my Champion Bar and slotted in something else and voila, my Dark Elf doesn't draw his weapon every time he goes somewhere new. Thank you so much. Weird! How did you ever figure this out?!

Many thanks! I'll use a different ability, this one wasn't all that helpful anyway for my play style!
  • Telvannisaurus_Graax
    Telvannisaurus_Graax
    Soul Shriven
    Ha! Glad it worked, it was the exact same mystery I struggled with a few months back.

I have several characters — one main, the others are just inventory mules which I never bother levelling. Anyways, I noticed it stopped happening after I respecced my main, iirc. As a tank, I like to experiment with Cutting Defense, so eventually I put it back on my bar, and the issue came back immediately.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Thank you for the update that your character weapon issue has been resolved. For this reason we will now close the thread from further comments.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.