Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Any way to get crown gems other than from crates

vsrs_au
vsrs_au
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I'd like to get more crown gems to get a crown store item I particularly like, but I don't want to gamble on the crates. Is there any other way to get some ?
PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Sol. 😟
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well that's Endeavor points really, isn't it?
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean ? Is there some link between crown gems and endeavour points ?
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    fred4 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean ? Is there some link between crown gems and endeavour points ?

Endeavours are also used for purchasing same crate items, that's their sole purpose.
  • calitrumanb14_ESO
    calitrumanb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Convert Twitch drop to gems. It's slower than collecting endeavors, though.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The items available for seals of endeavour always exactly match the current items available for crown gems (both ones in the crates and the gem exclusives) because the point of Endeavours is to comply with Microsoft's policy that all loot box items will also be obtainable by playing. So if you want a specific item without gambling the best way is to complete endeavours and save up the seals, but it can take a long time to do that (literally months for a radiant apex mount).

Alternatively there are 3rd party sites which record crate drops and can estimate how many crates you'll need to get enough gems to buy an item, which is sort-of guaranteed but expensive. You'll get a lot of other stuff from the crates of course, but if you only want one specific item it's probably not worth it.

If you don't want to buy crates you can get gems from Twitch crates, but that's a lot slower because you can only get so many crates per day and they have a much smaller selection of possible drops and the majority are the low value consumables.

So in summary:
    Seals/Twitch crates: free, but slow
    Buying crates: fast, but likely to be expensive (whether you get it as a drop or with gems)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks, all, now it makes more sense to me.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    endeavors are much better, because then you dont have to buy the crates lol

still find it dumb though that the endeavors and gems are different currencies for basically the exact same thing
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can seals or gems be converted to each other ?
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can seals or gems be converted to each other ?

no
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I should have mentioned: the item I want is only available for gems ( and I lack sufficient gems for the item ), which is why I asked about seals/gems conversion. So accumulating endeavours won't help me here, unfortunately :( .
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should have mentioned: the item I want is only available for gems ( and I lack sufficient gems for the item ), which is why I asked about seals/gems conversion. So accumulating endeavours won't help me here, unfortunately :( .

Which item is it?

I can't log in to check them all right now but as far as I'm aware everything sold for gems is also available for seals.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭

This is incorrect. In the crown store, click on crates, then click over at the tab on top to seals, and there are the exact same items.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can buy with gems or seals but not a combo. So if item is 100 gems or 4000 seals, and you have 50 gems and 2000 seals, you are out of luck. You can't add together your gems and seals, or convert your 50 gems to an extra 2000 seals, or convert your 2000 seals to an extra 50 gems. You need the full amount of one currency or the full amount of other currency.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is incorrect. In the crown store, click on crates, then click over at the tab on top to seals, and there are the exact same items.
    No, the item I want is only available for gems. If I click the Seals button at the top, a different list of items is displayed which doesn't include the item I want.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in the endeavor store, everything that is in the crates is in the same respective tier it is from the crate, everything that is NOT in the crates such as the other gem-exclusive items usually shows up in the "featured"/"limited time" tabs that are in the endeavor store

i would also be curious to know which item you were trying to get that is not included in both
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was wrong: the item I want is available for seals (although far more than I currently have). The reason I didn't find it before is that when I clicked the seals button at the top of the dialog window, the crown crates subcategory that I'd selected wasn't selected in the new view. In other words, for both the "Store" and "Seals of Endeavor" buttons, the "CROWN CRATES" subcategory selection is remembered by the game.

So I can get the item I want without using gambling, but I won't be able to buy it any time soon.

I learned a bit more about the game's UI (which can be confusing sometimes), and I appreciate everyone's feedback.
    Edited by vsrs_au on December 10, 2022 3:55AM
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A wee bit off topic: I've just started paying attention to what the daily/weekly endeavours are, and found, to my disappointment, that there's a very limited number of them. Because of this, it will be several months before I can afford to buy that item I want. If I was inclined towards conspiracy theories, I *might* even suspect ZOS did this deliberately in order to encourage more spending on the crown crates (leaving us at the mercy of random numbers).
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get a very small amount of gems via Twitch drops: basically watching ESO streams during certain events etc., will grant an Ouroboros crate, which is free and you can convert everything you get inside to gems. Of course in order to get any significant number of gems with this way you have to wait a really long time, but technically it's another method and it's free. The Seals of Endeavours is a much faster way. Also, I know you said you don't like to gamble, but you can get crates with in-game gold via crown gifting (basically you give gold to another player and they gift you the crates--zos approves this but be careful of scammers, it's better to do it via friend/guildies or discord servers like tamriel crown exchange) and in this way at leats you don't gamble with real world money. Other than that, there's no other ways to get stuff inside crates (oh, in the past they used to include one crate from a given season in the daily log in rewards, they don't do it anymore though sadly).