Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Temp fix for block bug, the newest one (PC only)

Trae12
Trae12
Use an addon that prevents weapon sheathing. I use it anyway and had no idea this bug was a thing after about 7 hours of play almost exclusively on tanks since last update. The green post said it occurs when you try and block or light attack from sheath so take sheath out of the picture until its fixed, which we all know aint gonna be tomorrow. The addon I use is called Draw Weapon but im sure theres more than 1. Make sure you set the prevent sheath while sprinting to ON because theres a few settings and most are off on install. Try it out and let me know if it works for you.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on January 12, 2023 2:22PM
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you go through a door or open a chest your weapons sheath. Not sure if the add on can prevent that.
  • cave_troll
    cave_troll
    ✭✭✭
    You know it randomly occurs while swapping the bar right? Besides as a console player I can't use addons.

Got the bug for 3 weeks now on Ps5 and it will become worse today. Tanks will die every 10 Minutes.

It's ridiculous and the only thing I can do is laugh about it. "We will do better". Yea sure when 2030?
  • Vizir
    Vizir
    ✭✭✭
    Mount -> Sprint while mounted -> light attack and it should fix it.
  • Ardriel
    Ardriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vizir wrote: »
    Mount -> Sprint while mounted -> light attack and it should fix it.

You can't mount in most dungeons and trials and not if you're in combat.
  • irswat
    irswat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any insight of this helps to prevent some or most cases of the cause of new block bug?
    The Lord Jesus Christ saved me from sin and darkness. His love has transformed me so that I am a new creature in Him. May you find Him too, and experience His richness and goodness!
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This might prevent it in the way that is known to reproduce it, but it does not appear to be the only way to have it trigger
  • Trae12
    Trae12
    irswat wrote: »
    Any insight of this helps to prevent some or most cases of the cause of new block bug?

Im now on day 2, I play almost exclusively tanks and have still not gotten bug. Ive weapon swapped probably over a thousand times in vet and hard mode content, ive opened every chest ive found. Im not saying it 100% prevents it but it might help you out give it a try. If it doesnt help and you dont like not having to unsheath in runs just remove the addon.
  • Trae12
    Trae12
    cave_troll wrote: »
    You know it randomly occurs while swapping the bar right? Besides as a console player I can't use addons.

Got the bug for 3 weeks now on Ps5 and it will become worse today. Tanks will die every 10 Minutes.

It's ridiculous and the only thing I can do is laugh about it. "We will do better". Yea sure when 2030?

Ya sorry for the let down on that, I guess I should have included pc only or something in the title to not *** tease console players. You guys really got the shaft on this one.
  • Trae12
    Trae12
    Just to update its now day 5 and I still have not gotten block bug. Highly recommend trying the addon Draw Weapon if your getting block bug
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trae12 wrote: »
    Just to update its now day 5 and I still have not gotten block bug. Highly recommend trying the addon Draw Weapon if your getting block bug

Are you doing Cyrodiil?
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW; its been better for me tonight in Cyrodiil using the Draw Weapon addon, but it still happens. Seems to be after using a transit shrine.
  • Trae12
    Trae12
    Trae12 wrote: »

Are you doing Cyrodiil?

No I enjoy pve content only, vet hm dungeon and trials. Have you tried the addon, put all settings to on and still getting block bug in Cyrodiil? I wonder if perhaps using the siege stuff makes you sheath even with it. I have no experience playing in there although I probably will at some point, I really liked WvW in guild wars a few years ago and I hear its the same idea. Sorry its not working for you if in fact thats what you meant by your question. Its completely eliminated the bug for me and all my friends and guildees who have tried it so I was hoping to help as many people as possible of course knowing there will be exceptions as you all have been happy to point out.

Out of 7 characters that I actually play daily, 5 are tanks so this has been a lifesaver for me, I wish you the best Tech!!
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its transit shrines, doors, mounting, and sometimes just for...reasons
  • Trae12
    Trae12
    OOF thats rough, glad to hear it at least slowed down the instances of it. Someone said earlier that you can undo it if you have the ability to mount so at least theres that, of course thats not an option in trials or dungeons. Best of luck!!!
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's another blocking-related bug introduced with the last big patch as well.

In combat, between attacking (cast + animation) and then weaving, if you need to block something that could one-shot you unless you block or put in you in danger of being finished by some add, it doesn't work every time. This not only can make WBs battles require occasional multiple attempts (when soloing them, of course) as you never know when the blocking will work or not but, also, make "block-casting" almost impossible.

I've tested, and it's not a hardware issue as my mouse is relatively new and, outside combat, blocking works just fine.

This *may* affect only those with 150+ latency, but before U36 I, playing with 180~220, never had.
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • finehair
    finehair
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess the devs have abandoned this game since this still hasn't fixed
  • finehair
    finehair
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also no maintenance at monday, so I guess this will keep going next week as well lol
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The bug exists/procs/whateveryouwannacallit after rezzing. Had it 5+ times last night on vHOF, others had it as well. Apparently this existed on console and they gave it to PC like some common cold (usually it's reverse, I can't fathom how this happened). I could post footage for ZOS to try and figure it out, but it is full of the entire trial bashing ZOS. Mind you, this group is made up of individuals from several guilds rather than any single guild. Combine the fact that these trials were made more difficult by some ceiling-lowering-floor-raising-labyrinth-deathtrap and you get a bunch of angry players. U35 weakened players/builds but U36 shot players doing content out of the sky like clay birds. I welcomed the added challenge in U35, U36- more specifically the first and second iterations of this block bug- basically made this a game for masochists. In my watered down opinion, the trial community has reason to be upset with this bug (that's putting it mildly).

Understand this: sacrificing 2 minutes of a trial attempt to fix a bug is worse than dying mid-attempt due to the bug. People don't want to sit there waiting for others to get back to the trial. When you die mid-attempt, people can at least try to get you back up. When you have to leave trial and run back, this is dead time.

[snip]
    [edited for discussing moderator action]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 10, 2022 6:56PM
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    finehair wrote: »
    Also no maintenance at monday, so I guess this will keep going next week as well lol

We know the next patch is on the 19th, and it seems that one will hopefully fix this - Gina said that a while ago: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7766386/#Comment_7766386
  • Trae12
    Trae12
    This *may* affect only those with 150+ latency, but before U36 I, playing with 180~220, never had.

I think your probably right on with this because I havnt expereinced that and dont play in that ping range, or even close to it.
    finehair wrote: »
    I guess the devs have abandoned this game since this still hasn't fixed

They announced it wont be addressed for at least a few weeks, that was a week ago so im sure it will be soon. Now will that make something else rear its ugly head, we shall see haha.
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    The bug exists/procs/whateveryouwannacallit after rezzing. Had it 5+ times last night on vHOF, others had it as well. Apparently this existed on console and they gave it to PC like some common cold (usually it's reverse, I can't fathom how this happened). I could post footage for ZOS to try and figure it out, but it is full of the entire trial bashing ZOS. Mind you, this group is made up of individuals from several guilds rather than any single guild. Combine the fact that these trials were made more difficult by some ceiling-lowering-floor-raising-labyrinth-deathtrap and you get a bunch of angry players. U35 weakened players/builds but U36 shot players doing content out of the sky like clay birds. I welcomed the added challenge in U35, U36- more specifically the first and second iterations of this block bug- basically made this a game for masochists. In my watered down opinion, the trial community has reason to be upset with this bug (that's putting it mildly).

Understand this: sacrificing 2 minutes of a trial attempt to fix a bug is worse than dying mid-attempt due to the bug. People don't want to sit there waiting for others to get back to the trial. When you die mid-attempt, people can at least try to get you back up. When you have to leave trial and run back, this is dead time.

[snip]
    [edited for discussing moderator action]

I feel you bud, this has been a rough week for sure.
  • misfitmanic
    misfitmanic
    ✭✭✭
    I have hardly played the past couple weeks. At first I thought it was merely graphical issues but soon realized block just was not blocking. A guildie explained the bug and a "solution" but wow... Frustrating af ZOS. I would understand new content being buggy but not core gameplay mechanics from 8 years ago.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ping rate is usually 60-120. Get it all the time. You basically roll the dice each time you draw your weapon. Some areas just make that happen more than others.

Cyrodiil; you mount, port, and go through doors quite a bit. Best think I've found to do there, is every time you go to get off your horse, sprint then light attack to dismount just to be sure. Last thing you want is to discover you're bugged mid combat, because we all know how reliable it is to get out of combat to do the mount trick. You can even be stuck in combat after death this last update or 2.
  • Trae12
    Trae12
    An addon maker just created an addon specifically for the bug called "No MORe block bug" try that out fellas. It supposedly works 100% of the time.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As there are multiple threads on this topic regarding Blocking issues, we have decided to close this discussion. You can find updates and the latest information in this thread.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.