Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Floating skull over pets...

NeKryXe
NeKryXe
✭✭✭✭✭
How do I disable it? I'm not finding it on settings.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you under the effect of the witches cauldron?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Are you under the effect of the witches cauldron?

yep
  • Balastar
    Balastar
    ✭✭✭
    It is the new target marker system. Look at your pet and press tab and a wheel appears. Then just select the skull again and it vanishes.
    NeKryXe wrote: »
    How do I disable it? I'm not finding it on settings.

EU/PC trading guild:
    Traders of the Covenant - Grahtwood - Elden Root - To join, contact ingame @Balastar
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not showing on my pet, it's on other players pets. I think it doesn't work at my end because I set tab to swap weapons, but I'll try it. Will it permanently disable it account wide? Thanks.

btw... Looks like it only appears when I'm in a group with someone with a pet. Not as bad as if it was everywhere, but still useless and distracting.
    Edited by NeKryXe on November 5, 2022 9:03PM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like someone in your group has used the target marker to place a skull over their pet. You can see the target markers placed by others who are in your group.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as far as i could tell there is no way to disable the built in game markers in the settings, and i didnt even see an option or the keybind for the wheel (there are keybind options for the individual markers, but not one for the wheel itself, which is (hold) tab to get it to appear)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like someone in your group has used the target marker to place a skull over their pet. You can see the target markers placed by others who are in your group.

Can it be possible? How is that allowed? Yesterday, in a group dungeon, I saw the same skull over a player character and in the health bar next to his name. I'd really like to remove it, specially over the character because it appear over everything and means nothing at all. Next time I see that I'll screenshot it.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can it be possible? How is that allowed? Yesterday, in a group dungeon, I saw the same skull over a player character and in the health bar next to his name. I'd really like to remove it, specially over the character because it appear over everything and means nothing at all. Next time I see that I'll screenshot it.

everyone in the group can add/change/remove the symbol marking a player/pet/npc that will display for everyone in the group

you can even add symbols to yourself if you dont have anything targeted with your reticle when holding tab

and its allowed because zos built it into the game with the firesong dlc lol

if you removed the mark from them, then it would remove the mark for everyone in the group including that person (as you can see marks on yourself)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

• NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

everyone in the group can add/change/remove the symbol marking a player/pet/npc that will display for everyone in the group

you can even add symbols to yourself if you dont have anything targeted with your reticle when holding tab

if you removed the mark from them, then it would remove the mark for everyone in the group including that person (as you can see marks on yourself)

I've been using tab for swapping weapons since release, and I noticed that I have absolutely no keys bound on targeting. Maybe that's why I'm not understanding anything. I'm not understanding the point of those markers or how to disable it. I'm going to join a random dungeon to see if I can find it out.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been using tab for swapping weapons since release, and I noticed that I have absolutely no keys bound on targeting. Maybe that's why I'm not understanding anything. I'm not understanding the point of those markers or how to disable it. I'm going to join a random dungeon to see if I can find it out.

there is no way to currently disable this is what i was mentioning (that i know of)

and holding down the tab key is what pulls up the new built in marker wheel (which is not listed in the keybinds either as far as i could tell, but i could be missing it as there are a lot of keybinds) so there is no way to unbind this functionality

if you hold down tab for like even a half a second then it will pull up the wheel (basically how holding the quickslot key down opens the quickslot wheels)

ill try to take a better look tonight on the keybinds to see if i can find a way to unbind that marker wheel
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that trash is appearing even over my character. Today I had to stop in the middle of a dungeon because a star appeared over my character. I searched everywhere for a way to remove it, tried to hold tab for a while. I couldn't find any solution and end up quitting the dungeon.

We really need a way to fix this trash. It's very distracting, specially when you are on an healing role. I think I'm going to stop doing group stuff while this is not fixed. This never happens out of dungeons or trials.

This time I screenshot it. That yellow star over my character follows me everywhere. And there's also the same star on the health bar on left, but that doesn't bother me.

ytzlpqe15xde.jpg
    Edited by NeKryXe on November 10, 2022 3:27AM
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    <<< removed slightly off-topic post before the mods do it >>>
    Edited by vsrs_au on November 10, 2022 3:46AM
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least its not as obtrusive as the WoW markers, having a giant orange *** above my head is quite distracting.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least its not as obtrusive as the WoW markers, having a giant orange *** above my head is quite distracting.

I'm not aware. Never played WoW. But the skull that appear sometimes is way bigger than this star.

Anyway... what's this trash for? Why's now allowed for other players to add trash to our screen? I don't know how to get rid of this and don't understand what's this for. I like the shared markers we can do on map, it's useful, but this seems completely dumb and useless.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NeKryXe when you are not targeting anything with your reticle, and hold tab, you can set/remove the marker on yourself
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NeKryXe when you are not targeting anything with your reticle, and hold tab, you can set/remove the marker on yourself

That doesn't work at all in my account. :/ It doesn't matter how long I hold tab (and I tried minutes), nothing happens. tried it on dungeons, trials at home and many other places. When I hold tab, on my account, on any character, nothing happens. Probably I have some problem on my account as far as I can understand.

Anyway, maybe it's better I keep playing everything and I'll just leave a group when it happens. If it is like you are saying, it means that someone in the group is messing with it.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats strange that it wouldnt pull up the wheel, unless as you mentioned you rebound the key for "tab targeting" to be weapon swap

maybe try rebinding some key to the option which highlights the enemy, as it might end up performing both functionalities (click tab for the normal tab target outline, hold tab for the marker wheel)

it can be some key you dont normally need to use like the [ key, even just temporarily to test that out

ill be in game in like an hour or so and i can verify and update this post with that
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it sometimes when solo for certain things. Like putting a marker over my companion so I know where she is better if not grouped and there are a lot of players around (DLC WB, volcanic vent, dragon, etc). And I'm sure it will be helpful in organized groups with good comm. "Let's keep the group leader crown on player x because they know how to lead us to all the WBs but let's put a green circle over the tank (because it looks more like a shield than the other markers) so everyone can keep track of where the tank it. Oh, and maybe a white star over the healer so we all know where she is too." In pugs, I wouldn't use it as I can certainly imagine it would be disruptive and misunderstood unless you find yourself in that very rare pug that actually communicates.

The way it mechanically works for me (PC) is hold tab and, with my target in the middle of the wheel, highlight the marker I want over them. If no target is in the wheel, the mark will go over you. Repeat the process to undo - if you have a skull over your head, try to put another one over you and that will undo it.

Here's a nice little vid by Icy that helped me figure it out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC6s1mAIOLo
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on November 11, 2022 12:06AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats strange that it wouldnt pull up the wheel, unless as you mentioned you rebound the key for "tab targeting" to be weapon swap

maybe try rebinding some key to the option which highlights the enemy, as it might end up performing both functionalities (click tab for the normal tab target outline, hold tab for the marker wheel)

it can be some key you dont normally need to use like the [ key, even just temporarily to test that out

ill be in game in like an hour or so and i can verify and update this post with that

Ok! Finally I found it! It was on "Targeting" / "Cycle Preferred Enemy Target". I had to bind a key there and it started to work. :smiley: Now I can just remove it everywhere. Thanks a lot for the help. ;)
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NeKryXe

to update my earlier post, and to answer your question, yes the "cycle preferred enemy target" keybind is also tied to the target marker wheel

there is a separate keybind that pulls up the target marketing wheel "gamepad target marker wheel" which i think was intended for gamepad but it also works with keyboard+mouse keybinds and only pulls up the wheel

in order to access the target marker wheel one of these options needs to be bound to a key and then you can use it to say remove a marker from yourself

@AcadianPaladin i think the thing that a lot of people i talked to find annoying about it is that any player in the group can set target markings instead of say only the group leader and nobody i know even really uses it much right now

edit: for more information, if you wanted more control over target highlighting and the target marking wheel
    • "cycle preferred enemy target" (default key is tab): does both the normal target highlighting (click) and target wheel (hold)
    • "gamepad cycle preferred enemy target" (default bind is gamepad, but you can bind to a key): basically ONLY does the normal target highlighting
    • "gamepad target marker wheel" (default bind is gamepad but can bind to keys): only pulls up the target marking wheel
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on November 11, 2022 1:14AM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it sometimes when solo for certain things. Like putting a marker over my companion so I know where she is better if not grouped and there are a lot of players around (DLC WB, volcanic vent, dragon, etc). And I'm sure it will be helpful in organized groups with good comm. "Let's keep the group leader crown on player x because they know how to lead us to all the WBs but let's put a green circle over the tank (because it looks more like a shield than the other markers) so everyone can keep track of where the tank it. Oh, and maybe a white star over the healer so we all know where she is too." In pugs, I wouldn't use it as I can certainly imagine it would be disruptive and misunderstood unless you find yourself in that very rare pug that actually communicates.

The way it mechanically works for me (PC) is hold tab and, with my target in the middle of the wheel, highlight the marker I want over them. If no target is in the wheel, the mark will go over you. Repeat the process to undo - if you have a skull over your head, try to put another one over you and that will undo it.

Here's a nice little vid by Icy that helped me figure it out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC6s1mAIOLo

Yeah! I agree that it seems great for solo and organized groups, but I've been seeing it spammed on random groups for no reason at all. On random groups it should be seen only by the player that's using it. I don't need to seem floating icons on my screen that some random player decided to add.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the first time ZOS has added a feature to ESO that allows *other* players to effectively modify what's on your own UI ? That's a *really* bad idea.

Btw, this feature just reminded me of the focus tool in Horizon Zero Dawn.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the target markets are bugged, or at least not working as supposed. I keep seeing it everywhere even when I'm not in any group. Luckily I know now how to remove it, but it would be much better if we had an option to permanently disable it from our UI. Usually I have to remove those markers at the start of most dungeons (i think some players might be using addons to automatically add it), and now even in towns we'll find players with those markers.