The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for, "Firesong Preview—The Druid King Tales of Tribute Patron & Deck"

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
bhs5yz5csiu8.jpg
Official Discussion Thread for Article, "Firesong Preview—The Druid King Tales of Tribute Patron & Deck"

"Learn more about a brand-new patron and deck coming to Tales of Tribute with the Firesong DLC and Update 36."
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on January 4, 2023 4:46PM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really powerful deck, the few times I've seen it selected by my opponent I've capitalized on it and usually while you start off with low prestige you'll start amassing huge amounts of gold eventually and be able to turn that into lots of power/prestige if played well. Fun playstyle and hope future decks are as varied as this with adding new mechanics to completely change the way the game plays.
  • Leighlaa
    Leighlaa
    ✭✭✭
    Things I really love about this deck:
    • INCREDIBLE coin generation, as well as *ok* power generation if you can get lucky with cards
    • You sometimes earn prestige, coin, or power on the *other* person's turn, which is wildly amusing
    • It is really fun to pair with other decks in new ways. For example, if a card gives you 1 coin for every card put in your cooldown, how can you get cards into your cooldown? Celarus lets you do that a LOT ... and if you're playing someone who keeps giving you rhajiin cards, they're ALSO giving you a coin! Creative strategies *everywhere*!
    • The color of the deck is different enough from the other decks (LOOKING AT YOU TWO, ORANGE AND RED...)
    • The patron isn't overly powerful yet useful enough that I *want* to use it. Makes an awful tavern fun again.
    • No ways to aggressively and directly screw with other players, I don't feel as much like a bully using it.
    • The artwork is *chef kiss*
    • It wasn't horrible to farm the deck fragments and I had a lovely time finding all the sweet animals to pet

Things I don't like so much about this deck:
    • The Founder for this deck is horribly buggy. I have several screenshots I can include of his cheating deck of cards when I played him. None of the cards matched their colors. Dishonorable.
    • Quite a bit of a learning curve understanding some of the new mechanics, tooltips weren't overly helpful. Particularly the "while in play" cards that (I think) only work during THAT turn. Still not really clear about them. But also maybe I'm missing something.
    • Too many cheap cards. Maybe this is by design to trick people into a bunch of pointless coin cards, or make the deck not too OP, but they feel a little pointless. That said, I still have 3 of them to upgrade, so this point may change.
    • The NPCS have less-than-zero idea of how to play with this deck. While it's a nice confidence boost to beat them with it, I should not be beating the "expert" AI this easily with this deck, I'm just not that good. They could get better programming. They're SPOT-ON with the teal maormer deck, they are relentless with that. The lime deck they flip and flop and flail until I crush them (usually very quickly, with a patron victory).
    • The coin generation might be *too* good. I really LIKE this side of it, but it might also be a negative. Too soon to tell.

My thoughts on this deck with *OTHER* decks:
    • Red/Pelin: The power gen and agents in this deck play well with Druid King- you can make up for the lack of power in the druid king deck as well as AFFORD the high-cost agents of pelin... and if you can get a bunch of those, they'll protect the druid king agents you have that give coin/prestige/power upon agent activation. The win happens fast if you just get a couple high-health red patrons to protect your money druid cards.
    • Yellow/Hlaalu: COIN GENERATION OUT THE BUTT! You'll have so so so many coins if you can effectively pair these two decks. There are a few ways to turn the coin to power: either destroying them with the Hlaalu patron (have cards that allow you to do this multiple times per turn!) or building up just a crapload in one turn and claiming the crow (probably only once unless you're playing someone who turns the crow again... ill-advised for THEM).
    • Purple/Crow: Lots of coin, lots of cards, and ok power generation if you can find the right moment to make all that coin power with the crow patron. Not actually my favorite pairing, but if you really like crow, having a druid agents that like cards going to cooldown could work out greatly in your favor (because all the coin you'll make from crow will likely become more cards you buy and put in your cooldown). If someone picks purple, and sticks to it, they MIGHT BEAT YOU if they can pair it with some beefy power cards, because it's just faster momentum with all the drawing.
    • Blue/Celarus: ONE OF MY FAVORITE SNEAK COMBOS! Celarus allows you to quickly weed-out the trash cards in your deck and bring all the happy druid cards you DO like, front and center, without wasting money on upgrading them. Druid king has SO MANY cheap coin cards that you can pretty quickly build a solid economy game for yourself with 0 upgraded coin cards. Get a few of the sorting cards and an couple agents that like cards put in cooldown- and go to town! You set your next hand up for victory all while not over-bulking your deck with garbage. I like to pair this with black/reach so that I can ALSO remove those gross, un-upgraded cards.
    • Black/Reach: I LOVE to pair this with **ANY** deck. A bulky deck is unmanageable and almost always *not worth it*. Slim that puppy down and also jam up the tavern a little for your opponent. Druid King has, in my opinion, almost *too many* good, cheap cards. That means YOUR OPPONENT *also* has access to them. That's bad for you if they're halfway decent. So clog it up with the black, high-cost cards that nobody wants in the beginning. Personal preference also makes me like the option of deleting anything I don't like and drawing a card so long as I have 2 power, so it's really a nice one to include.
    • Teal/Orgnum: ACTUALLY SUPER FUN to pair with Druid king!! I've only had it result in an amusing blended game a couple times, but when it has, it's been because the lime deck gives SO MUCH COIN that you just have an INSANELY FAT DECK. Say it again, slowly. It's really FUN too- because you basically get to buy AS MANY CARDS AS YOU CAN that are dirt cheap after a certain point, assuming you have a couple of good "get goodies for putting stuff in your cooldown" agents. THEN you get even MORE goodies by taking the orgnum patron for power. If you've really bought a lot of cards, the game is over pretty fast after that. That said, most of the time if someone plays teal, I aggressively block them because that shniz is obnoxious.
    • Green/Hunding: Ok match with druid king. Nice flexibility, better power than a lot of other options, and a LOT of fun can be had with sorting of cards (especially if celarus enters the party). Definitely a bit of a big-brain combo if you want to play the "points by sorting" game... but it's madly satisfying when it works because it's so shadowy and when you win they don't even know how it happened. Mainly a money deck though, so you may want more power options or to narrow your focus if it's included, because things can get messy fast. GREAT option for bring back bought patrons and other cards quickly and actually put them to use (you'll have a lot of money, hence likely some nice cards you'd like to see sooner, rather than later).
    • Orange/Rahjin: Actually a really, really fun and useful pairing with Druid king, both offensively and defensively. If you're pairing it WITH lime, you'll have a *ton* of coin as well as a way to keep their prestige low. While druid king doesn't give a lot of power, you can remove power from your opponent so you can more easily catch them. If you're using orange AGAINST lime, it's also nice for similar reasons: You take what little prestige the druid king player earns with just lime, you have **GREAT** patron-killing power, and some good coin of your own. Just watch out giving them rahjin trickery cards, they may have an agent that gives them loot for **ANY** card put in their cooldown, even your trickery cards!

Overall, I'm having a blast with this deck. I'm a bit of a chicken so I've only played a dozen pvp (vs like.. DOZENS of pve) games, but I look forward to trying. I think this deck has far more potential to produce creative wins than any other in the game so far and I am very pleased with it, 10 points to the dev who made this! (I forget your name, sorry, but you rock!!)