The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Fellow NA players, please report on 1.0.6 impact for the Mac

KhajitFurTrader
KhajitFurTrader
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Since us old-worlders have to wait a spell for the new goodness, would you please report your experiences re client stability here?
Edited by KhajitFurTrader on April 30, 2014 3:25PM
  • joetpelusob14_ESO
    same crashes....no changes here unfortunately. on a brand new mac pro
    3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
    12 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC
    AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
    OS X 10.9.2
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    same crashes....no changes here unfortunately. on a brand new mac pro
    3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
    12 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC
    AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
    OS X 10.9.2
    This is disheartening to read. I have yet to try out Cyrodiil, but it seems the crashes still persist. Damn! And I thought we were finally getting relief.
  • Kuiper
    Kuiper
    iMac-27 2012 24GB i7 680MX 2GB - 1.0.6 ESO - crash central - worse than before.
    iMac-27 2013 12GB i5 775M 2GB - 1.0.6 ESO - crash fest - worse now.

Given up on Mac ESO - play on a PC now.

A drag I have to play on WinCrap, with $6000 of awesome Macs sitting around, but hoping in the next year a 64-bit addressing client releases with memory leak fixes and support for newer OpenGL versions would be nice too. (older Macs, use 32-bit client, newer Macs, use 64-bit client). It's nice to dream.
    Edited by Kuiper on May 1, 2014 3:18AM
  • Gordainthic
    same here still crash , get client 64 then the issue will be solve , one month without playing PVP, on the edge of comming back to wow where mac works perfectly, unfortunately because eso was promessing game
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I tried out Cyrodiil tonight. Ran smooth but I crashed. I didn't bother to collect the crash report but I either got the usual game time (35-45 mins) or alittle longer (maybe 1 hr) with patch 1.0.6.

I'm really thinking that the only solution is that 64 bit client.

Sucks, I'd really like to play more of PvP. Not to mention their are dungeons and quests to do in Cyrodiil.
    Edited by Publius_Scipio on May 2, 2014 1:17AM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried out Cyrodiil tonight. Ran smooth but I crashed. I didn't bother to collect the crash report but I either got the usual game time (35-45 mins) or alittle longer (maybe 1 hr) with patch 1.0.6.

I'm really thinking that the only solution is that 64 bit client.

Sucks, I'd really like to play more of PvP. Not to mention their are dungeons and quests to do in Cyrodiil.
    As I posted already, that is not the case. It will be great to get a 64-bit client but it doesn't mean the memory issue in the existing Mac client has not and will continue to receive fixes towards this as part of the ongoing efforts.

Barely one month into a new MMO and already we have a Mac client which has all but this issue resolved (barring some minor ones) There are no other problems with crashes apart from this which is saying something for a 32-bit client with the demands there are.

I'm sure that this will get fixed even for PvP. In the meantime I'm enjoying the improvements which are noticeable in PVE and enjoying ESO on my Mac.

Looking forward to more details hopefully for Update 1.1.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well @Moonraker‌ I would love for there to be a final fix in the 32 bit client. You've known me on these forums since beta, you've seen me pulling for the Mac client.

What I'm saying (and I'm no expert) is that I feel as though it would be easier just to build and release the 64 bit client rather than try to massage the old 32 bit client given the complexities an MMO like ESO presents.

And yes I acknowledge and respect what Zenimax and specifically the Mac team have accomplished given the breadth of the project we all call ESO.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What I'm saying (and I'm no expert) is that I feel as though it would be easier just to build and release the 64 bit client rather than try to massage the old 32 bit client given the complexities an MMO like ESO presents.

If it only were as easy as checking the appropriate checkbox in Xcode's build target menu, and then click on "Build". But it is not. For anyone interested in the gruesome details, take a look here (yeah, that's for Cocoa Touch, i.e. iOS, but it's Objective-C on both platforms, so the same caveats apply). The new 64-bit client would have to be thoroughly tested by QA, anyway, and this alone will take a considerate amount of time. Given the known personnel restraints, I'd guess that work on the 32-bit version's original problems would all but cease for the initial transition.

My thought on the matter is that these exceptions are tied to high player concurrency, which is rather difficult to test for in a, well, test environment, as you simply cannot emulate the same numbers as on live. A 64-bit client would not necessarily be free of the same problem(s), but given the much larger address space, they might not occur that often within reasonable play session times.
    And yes I acknowledge and respect what Zenimax and specifically the Mac team have accomplished given the breadth of the project we all call ESO.

I fully concur to that. Keep up the good work! You will get there!
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on May 2, 2014 9:58AM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know @Publius_Scipio and what you say is spot on.

But you have to consider that decisions were made years ahead of launch and also to cover a wide range of potential customers which includes a lot still using XP on PC side. If it were just Macs then all supported versions run fine on 64-bit ;)

Having developed the game cross-platform in 32-bit then you are looking not just to move the Mac client to 64-bit but the PC client also. Pul all that together and you can imagine then that the resources pulled from current iteration and polish of the existing 32-bit client to a new focus would leave the current client as it is which wont be great for those wanting to PvP now and a lengthy wait until 64-bit was done.

Better to fix and polish the existing client so that it does function at least to an acceptable level in big battles (which is where the remaining issue impacts still mainly) Then, focus can shift.

I'm sure they consider the future and already include provision for the 64-bit client, even develop towards it but it's a big endeavour because nothing is done in isolation.

And as @KhajitFurTrader said if memory leaks etc. remain they need fixing as part of development even if it will eventually move.

I remain positive and look forward to further iterations and fixes going in over the short-medium term which will address this.
  • n0de
    n0de
    Soul Shriven
    Bootcamped my Mac last night and I've never experienced Cyrodil without a single crash, it's amazing. I am even playing on high settings too ! :disagree:
  • markepublicb14_ESO
    I gave Cyrodil another try last night for the first time post-1.0.6. Crashed after about 15 minutes. Re-launched and got an infinite loading screen. Re-launched and was able to log into Cyrodil. Crashed again after 15 minutes. Went to the account page and cancelled my subscription.

There was no post-cancellation survey, which surprised me, so I'm posting my experience here. I was only interested in this MMO at all because of the PVP, but that's essentially a no-go for Mac players (PVE is fine for hours at a time).

If they ever get the Mac client working and fix the egregious imbalances I might take another look at this game. Until then it's deleted off my SSD.
  • Windshadow_ESO
    Windshadow_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    1.0.6 is the best yet for me I just had a crash to desk top after 4 hours taking a new toon to level 8 just after getting to betknnah
    [reporter]
    version = 0.01

[extra]
    ProductName = eso
    Version = eso.live.1.0.6.976502
    char.account = xxxxx
    char.alliance = 3
    char.name = Cohen a Barbarian
    client.executablebits = 32
    client.mode = inworld
    client.renderertype = OPENGL
    client.session_start_timestamp = 2014-05-03T13:28:53.915Z
    client.time_since_load = 452
    client.uptime = 12923.7
    computer.name = MacPro.local
    computer.user = windshadow
    cpu.count = 4
    data.depotid = 4000
    data.dir = /Applications/ZeniMax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online/game_mac/
    data.syncm = databuild
    data.version = 0.win.0.live.976502
    exe.buildnum = 976502
    exe.opt = release
    exe.reltype = public
    exe.type = client
    gfx.description = ATI Radeon HD 4870 OpenGL Engine
    gfx.deviceid = 0.0.0
    gfx.driver = 2.1 ATI-7.32.12
    gfx.vendorid = 0
    globby.address = 198.20.200.25
    globby.port = 24501
    loc.wloc = 141 121427 16920 332536 171.45
    loc.world = Glenumbra
    loc.worldid = 141
    loc.zone = Glenumbra
    login.address = 198.20.200.25
    mem.current = 3175
    mem.peak = 3186
    mem.physical = 19456
    os.platform = mac
    os.version = 11G63
    realm.depotid = 0
    realm.id = 4000
    realm.name = NA Megaserver
    reportfield.ver = 3
  • Ottokar
    Ottokar
    IMPROVEMENTS - PVE is better... there are less total crashes, but far more moments with large amounts of lag (i.e. staring at a mob for about 10-12 seconds before things speed up). That being said, when it does crash it is so abrupt now. In the past, the world would stop responding to my interactions and then crash. Now, it's going and then FREEZE!

NO IMPROVEMENTS - Cyrodiil. Even with Low Texture, Low Shadows and all the other recommended settings turned down I am still experiencing serious lag and lots of crashes. Plus, I am still a having hard time loading into Cyrodiil when it is full. Keep in mind, it it NOT locked out, but just 3/3 bars on the occupancy indicator.

THANK YOU - This is still an improvement, so thank you for your efforts.

MY REQUEST - I'd really love to keep this subscription going, but I'm nearing 50 and would really love to dive into PVP. Can anyone offer any light at the end of the tunnel? A GOLD RESPONSE, perhaps... 8)

SYSTEM INFO - OS 10.9.2 - 2.2 GHz i7 - 4GB DDR3 - AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Edited - ADDED SYSTEM INFO
    Edited by Ottokar on May 3, 2014 5:35PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ottokar It's about how most find it now. Some improvements in general PVE but still frequent in PvP big battles due to large number of players on grid which really impacts the memory.

In terms of progress check the post above which outlines pretty much this.