The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Are you happy with the DLC as event reward at 100%?

• TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something else
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    <snipped for brevity>

I think this is part of the issue. ZOS has devalued non-combat pets by giving them away so often. A non-combat pet as a prize doesn't feel special anymore in the way that a house or a mount does, which is why I think so many suggestions keep circling back to these two items. Non-combat pet might be a similar prize in terms of crown pricing (they are in the same ballpark as a dlc) but the perception of them as a prize has cheapened them.

I would bet that not only would certain plus members mostly feel more appreciated if they had received one of these, but they'd have sold more plus memberships if the prize was considered cool. They also might have made more people angry that a cool prize was double paygated too though.

Yes, I do think there's a lot of ambivalence about it all. I think it's a bit late for ZOS to put out the fires though.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • mochizx
    mochizx
    ✭✭✭
    Yay
    Yup, after cancelled my eso plus, I can't complain about getting dlc for free.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    Amottica wrote: »
    The key question becomes, does giving away the 4Q DLC increase the chapter sales more than giving away a home? That is what will drive continuing to give away the 4Q DLC more than anything said in this thread.

It must. i doubt it it would have been repeated two years in a row otherwise. Perhaps both the Blackwood and High Isle chapters did poorly compared to annual sales projections. Perhaps the “free DLC (if you own the chapter you haven’t purchased yet)” marketing technique provided enough profit last year to justify repeating it this year.

Personally, I am a bit disappointed in the “prize” (and somewhat irritated by the token salamander). That said, I selfishly want the game to be profitable enough to continue, so if this particular technique provides that, then so be it.

Oh, I agree that the free DLC likely proved to be a great promotion though I did not state that as I know it to be true since we do not have access to such information just as we do not know how well sales of each chapter has performed. We just do not have that information.

I agree with the salamander. As another suggested, a mount would have been nicer. I noted earlier that the stripped senche mount has been one player's desired, but I respect Zenimax keeping that as an exclusive reward for early subscribers. Coming up with a new mount for current subscribed might have been a better idea than the pet.

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    Oh, I agree that the free DLC likely proved to be a great promotion though I did not state that as I know it to be true since we do not have access to such information just as we do not know how well sales of each chapter has performed. We just do not have that information.

This is a pre-Holiday sales event. They would not be doing this again if it did not work last time.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nay
    The reward bar is 92% complete. It’d be nice if ZOS can give the ESO+ subscribers something in additional when it gets to 100%. Just a suggestion ;)
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Funny marketing strategy to use a reward to convince people to buy high isle while simultaneously sending plus subscribers the message that they will only benefit from this when they discontinue subscriptions...weird choice.
    Edited by boi_anachronism_ on October 7, 2022 4:55PM
  • Natakiro
    Natakiro
    ✭✭✭
    Nay
    Natakiro wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind the salamander at all if they used the better animation set for it, the one that hops when following you (like the blue pet), but I have a feeling it will be the ugly, twitchy one that most of the salamanders have (the red and yellow ones.) All of my salamander pets have the ugly running animation, so I never use them, despite loving the way they look otherwise :/

I AM SO HAPPY! They made the salamander have the adorable hopping animation; I am quite pleased to just get this pet; love it so much :)

PC-NA | Play on Desktop, Steam Deck, VR via vorpX
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Free stuff is always nice. Also, I don't think it is healthy approach to be mad / angry that someone else is getting free stuff.

I'm upset that I'm not getting free stuff... 2 years in a row.

This completely invalidates having DLC access as an ESO+ perk.

This ^
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    Elsonso wrote: »

This is a pre-Holiday sales event. They would not be doing this again if it did not work last time.

Oh yes. The first sentence clearly stated that the free DLC likely proved to be a great promotion. Now sure where the idea came from that I was saying "it did not work last time."

However, I also included the fact that we lack the information to say how successful it was, nor do we know how well sales for each chapter performed. If someone has the actual information on this pls share. Otherwise, it is correct that we do not have the real information to make comparisons and can only make inferences.

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    I wouldn't mind the salamander at all if they used the better animation set for it, the one that hops when following you (like the blue pet), but I have a feeling it will be the ugly, twitchy one that most of the salamanders have (the red and yellow ones.) All of my salamander pets have the ugly running animation, so I never use them, despite loving the way they look otherwise :/

I AM SO HAPPY! They made the salamander have the adorable hopping animation; I am quite pleased to just get this pet; love it so much :)

I'm glad you enjoy it so much! I like it better than I thought it would now that I've seen it in game.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something else
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

I'm glad you enjoy it so much! I like it better than I thought it would now that I've seen it in game.

Yes - compared to other salamanders, it's actually pretty cute!

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • jad11mumbler
    jad11mumbler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    I'm glad I didn't have to participate at all for these "rewards" [Sniped](Which to me are of little use and are in my opinion are very disappointing to get from one of the biggest events that only happens once a year.*) at least.

I'd be pretty disappointed if I got these "rewards" after wasting time on it.

[Edited for Bashing]

*Outside of the collectibles, daily crafting writs give similar items, or more from a few toons.
    A yearly event, in my opinion, should reward players with items that aren't easily obtainable normally.
    The golden companion ring is also only useful for players who use their companions. Personally, I don't find them useful enough to use, so the ring has no use for me.

TLDR - The only notable items I got from what is supposed to be a big, yearly community event, is a chair emote, and a pet.
    Which are commonly found in daily log in rewards for just logging in. Pretty disappointing.
    Edited by jad11mumbler on October 8, 2022 10:20AM
    174 characters and counting over 13 accounts.

120 writ certified. 73 at CP rank.
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

Once again, we'd like to leave a reminder that Baiting or otherwise provoking other members of the Forums is never acceptable. We understand, and even welcome constructive debates, but discussion should always stay respectful and within the Community Rules. If you believe another member is Trolling or Baiting, we ask that you report the post and leave it at that, rather than further derail the thread.

Moving forward, please keep the Forum's Community Rules in mind.
    Staff Post
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Didn’t even get a full set of attunable stations like last time.

For some reason it didn’t include jewellery and that was the only part of the reward that was remotely useful for me.

Pretty lacklustre.
  • Natakiro
    Natakiro
    ✭✭✭
    Nay
    Parrot1986 wrote: »
    Didn’t even get a full set of attunable stations like last time.

For some reason it didn’t include jewellery and that was the only part of the reward that was remotely useful for me.

Pretty lacklustre.

Bounties of Blackwood came with the same 3 stations - woodworking, blacksmithing, clothing. I had to get an attunable jewelry station from elsewhere to go along with them to make a set. It was the only attunable/set station not included, which I assume is because the jewelry line is tied to DLC which not everyone has.
    PC-NA | Play on Desktop, Steam Deck, VR via vorpX
  • Margha_Ralmoren
    Margha_Ralmoren
    ✭✭✭
    Yay
    I said in a previous post that I'll be back next year but ZOS made me lie, I bought High Isle for 20€ :p !
    It is a pretty good deal IMO, I also did that with Blackwood last year and that chapter wasn't as good as this one. By waiting 4 months I get the game 50% cheaper and the most severe quest bugs are fixed. Also no need to get ESO+ to get the end of the story since we get it for free !

Until 2020 I had no problem paying 40€ for a chapter because I couldn't wait to create a new character with a new class. However since the Greymoor chapter with its glitches, poor storyline and lack of new class I prefer to wait now. And it seems ZOS adapted their prices to match their new content, 20€ for a full story and a card game is fair. Plus now with all the gizmos we get to collect the overland exploration is richer and more rewarding. Plus the daily quests are even more rewarding since I'm playing them during the event: I already managed to earn all the steadfast motifs, so no tedious grind for me !

I dreaded playing Tales of Tribute since watching the twitch stream because the way they presented it it seemed very boring and complicated, but the rules are actually simple: Get 40 Prestige or the 4 Patrons to win the game. The Power points transform into Prestige at the end of each turn.
    So far I just played against NPCs but it's a fun game.

The main quest looks promising too. I had kinda lost hope after Elsweyr introduced The Story Template (you know: dungeons with macguffins, cult of baddies, amnesic vestige, lieutenant in Q2, big bad in Q4) but in High Isles it seems to work. I haven't finished it yet so I hope I'm not rejoicing too soon but so far I'm genuinely interested to see where it goes (the fact that Lady Arabelle is a more pleasant character than Lyris or *shudder* Eveli probably helps).
    The fact that Isobel says something every time we progress into the main quest is also a nice touch, it's like she gets included in the story.

And this post turned into a High Isles review.
    TLDR: no ESO+ and High Isles at 20€ is good.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Something else
    I will say that I run multiple accounts, currently only one ESO+ and the "not a house" this time was what made me decide NOT to pay for this Chapter on the other accounts.

Not that getting a DLC was bad, it was fine, just not enough to have me pay for it beyond one account.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Sparxlost
    Sparxlost
    ✭✭✭
    Something else
    eso plus one week would be a nice reward...
  • Austacker
    Austacker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    I purchase the yearly DLC update but I'm not an active ESO+ Sub subscriber.

As a result, the DLC for free has high value for me.

I appreciate however why people with a full ESO Sub would be upset.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    Khami wrote: »
    It devalues the collector's edition which I would of gotten but now it would not be worth the cost, not to mention ESO+ do not benefit from this at all.

How does this devalue the collector's edition? It wasn't part of it, would never be part of it?

Because the Collector's Edition of a DLC still costs the same whether you own the base DLC or not. There is no lower-cost "upgrade" option for Q4 DLC like there is for Q2 DLC (i.e. DLC formerly known as Chapters). So if the Q4 DLC CE is, say, 4k crowns (by current prices), while the Q4 DLC alone is 2k crowns, then High Isle owners will have gotten the base 2k part for free but now still have to pay the full 4k for the CE items alone. You don't get the option to buy just the CE part alone for the 2k it costs when sold with the DLC.

So if you have already bought High Isle and get Firesong free but want the Firesong CE items, you have to pay 4k crowns - whether you think of that as paying double for the CE items or for paying over again for the base DLC that was folded into your High Isle purchase. Either way the "free" aspect of the base Firesong DLC is lost.

To come back to this point now that we have actual prices:

The CE edition is 4,000 crowns. Firesong alone is 2,000.

The mount and pet are available separately, but you would have to spend exactly the same for just the mount and pet as for the entire CE combined (which, aside from Firesong, includes 5 50% XP scrolls):

Cinderstone Kagouti - 3,000 crowns
    Companion's Wolf Pup - 1,000 crowns

So the only difference for Firesong owners between buying the CE at full price and buying the mount and pet separately is that you get 5 xp scrolls with the CE. If Firesong had not been given way for free, then the CE would have been a much better deal. As it is, giving Firesong for free reduced the benefit of buying the CE to 5 50% xp scrolls, which are often given away for free themselves through daily login rewards and which have an in-game equivalent that can be gotten for gold. If you want the CE pet and mount, then the "free" aspect of Firesong as a gift with High Isle is essentially negated because the CE already essentially gives it for free for the price of the mount and pet alone.
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    While it might be going against arguably one of the bigger perks of ESO+, I do quite enjoy getting it for free. I myself have cancelled my yearly sub now, which will last me again until September next year, so that makes this DLC one less I have to worry about buying with my crowns to keep when it runs out, leaving me to spend them on next year's story DLC, or anything cosmetic that might take my fancy. With some luck, ZOS can make a bit of a turn around next year, I don't think the whole 'covid' thing can be used as an excuse anymore now. I myself am an easy going fella, but having some sort of additional perk for ESO+ members would have been nice, but of course it would fall under "WhY dOeS sUb GeT x ReWaRd AnD wE dOnT, PaYwAlL!!!!"
    Edited by BenTSG on November 4, 2022 5:16PM
  • Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    I love not having to buy one of the DLCs for the year... I own every single DLC and always buy new ones and chapters as they come out, so having DLC as event reward makes me super happy.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yay
    I'm wondering how many people changed their minds with the latest release. I really didn't need to pay to know who the ascendant lord was, though I enjoy access to the new zone and all it has to offer.
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    I’d rather get an old DLC like Clockwork City or the Guilds. I wouldn’t go back to Firesong if I ever unsubbed. It’s an okay DLC but you only really need to see it the once. There’s no branching paths, choices, skill trees or quirky new feature like Transmutation.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    I think part of the appeal is that you get the full story of the DLC for one price now instead of needing to buy it again later, I'd be pretty sad if they stopped giving the zone DLC for free with the celebration event and you'd have to pay to complete a story for a chapter you already paid for.
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    After playing the DLC I would really love them to either stop creating this year long story stuff, or step up their game.

It's just the same stuff in a different coat. It's not surprising me, it's not captivating me, it's giving me no drive to play this game.

Give me the same feeling as with Orsinium, Thieves Guild or IC. At least that was worth money.