The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

First time argonian, any class advice?

Rageypoo
Rageypoo
✭✭✭✭✭
I'd like to play an argonian and would like to know which classes they are good for, any lizards out there have input?
Edited by Psiion on October 30, 2022 1:35AM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a Min-Maxer.

That said, I have an Argonian Warden Healer and she frikkin NEVER runs out of resources, it's really really fun.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Rageypoo
    Rageypoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    I'm not a Min-Maxer.

That said, I have an Argonian Warden Healer and she frikkin NEVER runs out of resources, it's really really fun.

I definitely would like to play a magWarden at some point as I have an orc stamwarden and i'm interested in trying a double ice staff whorl of depths at some point. Would argonian be good for this? A kind of frost mage/support healer?
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't worry about min/max too much and still have been able to solo many vet dungeons with Argonian sorcerer, templar, nb, warden both Magicka and stam. Granted I've been playing for several years but Argonian is my favorite race. Sorcerer as my main. Good news is you'll do fine. Bad news is if you min/max Argonian isn't the race for you. Good ADVICE is play what you like as min/max is really only noticeable on a spreadsheet. Have fun!
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most lore-friendly classes would be Warden (nature based) and Nightblade (Shadowscales). Templars could work for their spears, Argonians practicing necromancy is a rarity, since they live in the present and they perceive the dead as being meant to be left in the past, but the Veeskheel tribe does practice it and you'll meet them in Murkmire. Although, with a good enough backstory, any class can make sense for your character.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Galiferno
    Galiferno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you decide to play an Argonian dps, then class doesn't matter, Argonian is equally bad at all of them if you care about getting the most out of your damage. But if you're not doing vet content, then nothing matters and you can do what you want.
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galiferno wrote: »
    If you decide to play an Argonian dps, then class doesn't matter, Argonian is equally bad at all of them if you care about getting the most out of your damage. But if you're not doing vet content, then nothing matters and you can do what you want.

More like if you're not score-pushing the race doesn't matter.

You can do vet dungeons with any race, and I'm sure you can do some vet trials as well. Maybe not all of them, but enough content is doable.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
  • Rageypoo
    Rageypoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I see, so I should primarily be a support with an argonian?

I was hoping the ice warden would be a kind of support/tank/dps all in one that would be fun to slow things and do a little bit of damage. Idk I guess I'm still figuring it out.
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You can do vet dungeons with any race, and I'm sure you can do some vet trials as well. Maybe not all of them, but enough content is doable.

isn't one of the top maelstrom speedrunners an imperial?

that aside tho race doesn't matter to much if you aren't min-maxing and lore wise argonian are one of the most flexible cultures who practice every sort of background be it stealth, fighting or magic.
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play DPS with an argonian Nightblade. I also have all classes as Argonians, and have played just about everything bar pve healers as an argonian. Play what you like, anything and everything is available to you. Race matters little, even in 'sweaty' content like HM vet trials and dungeons.

You can do everything with whatever character you put together. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do something because of (insert excuse here). Nothing is preventing you from going in, practicing, and getting it done.

Personally, I enjoy the lore of the Shadowscales, and I always play a stealthy character, so I chose Nightblade as my main. She's also a stage 4 vampire, always has been, and Ive learned how to play it and do not have sustain issues at all. So don't feel discouraged if you decide to play vampire, or werewolf even. Every build takes practice to become experienced in it. Pick what you like, have fun, and go smash stuff!
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    dsalter wrote: »

isn't one of the top maelstrom speedrunners an imperial?

that aside tho race doesn't matter to much if you aren't min-maxing and lore wise argonian are one of the most flexible cultures who practice every sort of background be it stealth, fighting or magic.

Imperial’s cost reduction, extra health, and extra stam can make for great advantages for solo play. I’m not surprised to hear they do very well in Maelstrom.

The difference between best in slot and worst in slot races for dps is about 6% or so. Since even Warden can hit 118k on the (newly buffed) dummy with BiS race, you’re looking at probably at least a 110k ceiling with the worst possible race. That would be somewhere around 90-95k on the old dummy, enough to do any content.
  • lQrukl
    lQrukl
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally closed the Godslayer on Argonian Templar DPS, but I was VERY lucky with the people that I played and I have been training GS on other classes & meta races, at the one moment we just needed trained templar player so I got opportunity to close achive on my main.

And I DO NOT recommend to pick this race after all (besides pvp, but even there are better choices)
    You can check why: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/582625/no-love-for-argonians

After more then year 🦎we🦎 have no love, zos just doesn't care about race with the worst passives in the game (except swiming passive ofc)
  • Clyde_BlueSnake
    Clyde_BlueSnake
    ✭✭✭
    Argonians be good at any class really, go with the one you're comfortable with, fit with the headcanon background you going for with your Argonian.

For myself, my main is a DPS (sometimes wear heavy armor when soloing something hard) Argonian sorcerer that's mostly stamina based, though I can be a magsorc but I'm comfortable being a stamsorc (& also the fact he's also a werewolf too) able to solo the normal group dungeons that can be soloed & complete vet arenas.

My other Argonian alts (so far) are a necromancer, dragonknight, nightblade (a female Shadowscale btw), & a templar. Haven't made a warden one yet though. (edit) each 5 of them of the other classes.
    Edited by Clyde_BlueSnake on November 1, 2022 12:28AM
    Main is Blue-Thuxis, a Argonian stamSorc, whose also is a werewolf! 2nd main, Cobalt-Thuxis, a Argonian stamArc, an identical twin sister to Blue-Thuxis, even is a werewolf as well! some alts:
    Nirn-Scale Rajthux (Argonian, Templar), Ros-Ei Nature-Thuxis (Argonian, Warden), Crimson-Thuxis (Argonian, DK), Bone-Thuxis Tharn (Argonian, Necro) Why Bone-Thuxis has Tharn as a last name:
    The siblings were separated at a young age due to a Dres slaver raid, Blue, Cobalt, Ros-Ei & their mother were able to escape, Crimson & Bone weren't that lucky. Crimson was later "rescued" by some Orcs that later ambushed the House Dres Dunmers, unfortunately one Dunmer remained & sadly successfully brought the young Bone-Thuxis to the Dres plantation. Later an Imperial, a Tharn, bought Bone at a auction & later told he was free, the young Argonian sadly had no idea where to go & doesn't know if his family was still alive, so the Tharn adopted him into House Tharn. This family of Argonians finally reunited years later.
    , Kenneth Clyde (Nord, Sorc), Selene Gray-Thuxis (Argonian, Nightblade), Urmanda (Orc, Warden)
    Some ESO history: I originally started from PS4 NA during June 10, 2015, I did reached CP 810+ on there. I eventually kinda got tired of paying PS+, so during February 4, 2019 I started moving to PC NA. Also CP: 810+. Nowadays I play ESO PC mostly, while PS4 is dust.
  • Rageypoo
    Rageypoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I decided to make an argonian warden ice mage + support healer, and a stam nord tank DK.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good items for these roles? I played mostly DPS for every character, this is my first healer/tank in the game.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonian racial healing bonus is nice. And mine wears a polymorph to hide the ugly tail.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Clyde_BlueSnake
    Clyde_BlueSnake
    ✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Argonian racial healing bonus is nice. And mine wears a polymorph to hide the ugly tail.

Curious, how a Argonian tail ugly?
    Main is Blue-Thuxis, a Argonian stamSorc, whose also is a werewolf! 2nd main, Cobalt-Thuxis, a Argonian stamArc, an identical twin sister to Blue-Thuxis, even is a werewolf as well! some alts:
    Nirn-Scale Rajthux (Argonian, Templar), Ros-Ei Nature-Thuxis (Argonian, Warden), Crimson-Thuxis (Argonian, DK), Bone-Thuxis Tharn (Argonian, Necro) Why Bone-Thuxis has Tharn as a last name:
    The siblings were separated at a young age due to a Dres slaver raid, Blue, Cobalt, Ros-Ei & their mother were able to escape, Crimson & Bone weren't that lucky. Crimson was later "rescued" by some Orcs that later ambushed the House Dres Dunmers, unfortunately one Dunmer remained & sadly successfully brought the young Bone-Thuxis to the Dres plantation. Later an Imperial, a Tharn, bought Bone at a auction & later told he was free, the young Argonian sadly had no idea where to go & doesn't know if his family was still alive, so the Tharn adopted him into House Tharn. This family of Argonians finally reunited years later.
    , Kenneth Clyde (Nord, Sorc), Selene Gray-Thuxis (Argonian, Nightblade), Urmanda (Orc, Warden)
    Some ESO history: I originally started from PS4 NA during June 10, 2015, I did reached CP 810+ on there. I eventually kinda got tired of paying PS+, so during February 4, 2019 I started moving to PC NA. Also CP: 810+. Nowadays I play ESO PC mostly, while PS4 is dust.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn’t make sense since my Argonian has the bosom of a warm blooded, milk producing female mammal. So her large reptilian tail has to be hidden to look congruous. Polymorph is the only option.
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn’t make sense since my Argonian has the bosom of a warm blooded, milk producing female mammal. So her large reptilian tail has to be hidden to look congruous. Polymorph is the only option.

So the lizard race shouldn't have a lizard tail? Got it.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were a pure lizard race, yes. But the mammalian features of Argonians are proof that they are a mixed race. Therefore it is up to the player’s individual preference which traits to hide or emphasize. Or to choose to be a biological enigma, if so desired.
  • Clyde_BlueSnake
    Clyde_BlueSnake
    ✭✭✭
    Rageypoo wrote: »
    I decided to make an argonian warden ice mage + support healer, and a stam nord tank DK.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good items for these roles? I played mostly DPS for every character, this is my first healer/tank in the game.

Nice choices! Unfortunately, I'm a DPS as well & never tried being either a healer or tank myself, so I'm not much help of with healer or tank item sets. Others probably have better suggestions, the sets from the builds from Alcast of a healer warden & a tank DK can be a good start.
    Edited by Clyde_BlueSnake on November 1, 2022 1:17AM
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were a pure lizard race, yes. But the mammalian features of Argonians are proof that they are a mixed race. Therefore it is up to the player’s individual preference which traits to hide or emphasize. Or to choose to be a biological enigma, if so desired.

And a biological enigma they are, but every Argonian has a tail. There hasn't been an Argonian without one. And if there are, then its probably one from the inner swamp where some Argonians have wings. Which we can't be. You can play however you want, but we've never seen an Argonian without, and to suggest otherwise is pure hearsay.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125