Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

High Isle Question

Frogmother
Frogmother
✭✭✭✭
Compared to pre and post morrowind quests, how are the quests and storywriting in High Isle?
Asking because the last addons/DLC made me mostly quit ESO, every little piece of the story was forced spoon fed to me and most of the time I either thought I play an idiot or the people (npc) around me are idiots. Currently I play just occasionally and ignore everything story related.

Now that High Isle is on sale, I am thinking of getting it and give the game another chance.
For comparison, I find the quests in the main game and the first few addons good, elsweyr was still OK, blackwood and everything after is mostly bad. How is the High Isle writing compared to that?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 1, 2022 6:02PM
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don’t like the “good guys”… at all. But that’s personal opinion, you may or may not mesh with them better. The enemy team and some of, if not most of the friendly npcs are actually very competent which is nice. The plot twists are unfortunately still predictable.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    • CP 2000+
    • Warden Healer - Arcanist Healer - Warden Brittleden - Stamarc - Sorc Tank - Necro Tank - Templar Tank - Arcanist Tank
    • Trials: 9/12 HMs - 3/8 Tris
    • Dungeons: 30/30 HMs - 24/24 Tris
    • All Veterans completed!

View my builds!
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, in my opinion, the writing for High Isle was worse than Blackwood. Blackwood was awkward but I at least remembered parts of the story after finishing it. After finishing High Isle I had a hard time remembering what it was all about - it just seemed a whole load of nothing. Like with last few expansions, the player is a basically a lackey for the characters who are actually in charge. There are a few side quests I enjoyed but the main quest is something of a nothingburger.

You may get on with it fine as fans of the expansion do exist but for me, who bought it for the story, I found it very lacklustre.

edit -
    I think perhaps, the reason why I didn't mind Blackwood so much is that it felt, despite the chaotic/weird choices that were made during the story, that there was some passion still there in its development. High Isle is bland in the extreme, there is no passion there at all. It's flat, passionless and leans way too hard into trying to be funny. A story should make you feel something - I felt nothing after this one.
    Edited by Treselegant on October 1, 2022 4:44PM
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Isle isn't the strongest questing area but, I found it to be better than Blackwood.

The new Firesong main quest is better than High Isle IMHO but, it's still a good bit behind the base game quests or Morrowind.

The side quests in Firesong are worse than the main quest imho.

The Bonus quest series is visually quite nice but, story wise it's one of the weakest pieces of content this year.

For me, High Isle and Firesong's biggest weakness story wise were the idiot moments and the excessive creepy sexual references.
  • rootkitronin
    rootkitronin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I feel like it's all too wholesome/fun, it's very hard to take seriously at times, and it feels like a very PG fanfiction.

They keep pushing certain characters or little memes, they just aren't things I care for at all - like the whole Investigator Vale thing - like I just don't care, and for roleplay's sake, neither would my character; so having it constantly come up gets old very quickly.

Keep in mind, all this is just personal preference - it's not bad per say, it's just not what I enjoy or what engages me. There have been a few stories I did really enjoy, in no specific order the ones that come to mind are Morrowind, Clockwork City, Summerset, Wrothgar, even parts of the Elsweyr chapter... though I feel with Elsweyr that the less than serious trend started to get out of hand/balance a few times there. Even parts of the Skyrim chapter were decent, loved the Markarth DLC, great lore there too.

I'd like to see more mature writing, something that really pulls me in and engages me on an emotional level - make me have to go take a moment after finishing a chapter's story, just to take it in and reflect on it.

I doubt I'll really see that in ESO though, I just don't think it's the ideal medium for it, unfortunately.

That being said, I much prefer High Isle over Blackwood - Blackwood was just a convoluted mess with so many things that went absolutely no where.
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's definitely better than Blackwood, but as the poster above pointed out, it's played for laughs a few too many times and the twists are obvious (even the Bad Guy whose identity is supposed to still be a secret by the end of it, IMO has been signposted a mile away). Also, being treated as the (not particularly bright) "hired muscle" and "the help" gets a little tiresome - the days when the player was the hero are well and truly gone. If I don't get to hear Lady Arabelle call me "dear" ever again, it'll be too soon.
    Edited by Ghanima_Atreides on October 1, 2022 3:12PM
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • Paralyse
    Paralyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main issue with the quests in ESO over the last few chapters has been that all players are forced to be altruistic and "good". You can't side with the "bad guys" -- even a tiny little bit -- and unlike even the base game there are few to no choices you can make that affect the outcome of events in any way, or that make NPC's react differently to you based on your choices.

As an example there might be a base game quest where someone has been turned into a Vampire and you can choose to kill them to stop their predation or spare (exile) their life so that they might find a cure, and some NPC's later on in the game can react to your choice. Another good example is the quest for Phaer in Auridon, whether you kill or save the antagonist is referenced by other NPC's such as guards.

Even in Orsinium, the player spends a lot of time "helping" King Kurog only to find out he's been in league with the Vosh Rakh and Trinimac cultists the entire time, making many of your actions somewhat dubious from an ethical point of view.

Since then the player feels less like a free agent able to make their own choices and more like a passenger on a ride with only one path.

Even if you RP as an evil Daedric cultist who delights in torture, murder and sacrificing victims to Molag Bal and raising the dead, when you do the quests in Blackwood and High Isle you are forced to be the most noble, virtuous, Lawful Good player in the game, because you have few or no other choices to act in a manner more consistent with that character's alignment.

Fable and especially SW:TOR did a MUCH better job with this, by making many interactions and quests have good, neutral, or evil choices, and then the game world changing and adapting to the results of those choices over time. I wish the ESO story devs that make quests would sit down and play through SW:TOR quests for a few days, and learn that there is much value to be had in not forcing players to be saints 100% of the time.

Edit: part of that too is affected by ZOS' need to make quests affect major lore characters and events. e.g. you're forced to help the three faction leaders because if you were to able to side with the Ascendant Order instead, that would require modifying the lore for Ayrenn/Jorunn/Emeric, and it is hard to reconcile giving players meaningful choices when it comes to the lore for major characters in the Elder Scrolls.
    Edited by Paralyse on October 1, 2022 3:27PM
    Paralyse, Sanguine's Tester - Enjoying ESO since beta. Trial clears: vSS HM, Crag HM's, vRG Oax HM, vMoL DD, vKA HM, vCR+1, vAS IR, vDSR, vSE
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, being treated as the (not particularly bright) "hired muscle" and "the help" gets a little tiresome - the days when the player was the hero are well and truly gone.

We aren't the Chosen One anymore, not since the conclusion of the main quest. Unfortunately the devs don't want to write multiple different dialogue options to reflect individual players' RP choices for their characters, so we all just get lumped into the generic "hired mercenary" category. That works better for some than others; I really had to roll my eyes when Arabelle described my 5ft nothing Breton mage as "the muscle". B)

• ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that if you want a coherent story, then it will inevitably be linear. Elder Scrolls games put the emphasis on lore - i.e all the story is in history books - and let the player take more control of how the present plays out. Yes, there are objectives, but you can take your own path to reach them.
    Edited by ghastley on October 1, 2022 3:28PM
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I thought the main quest was okay, but the side quests didn't seem to be as good as they usually are. By side quests, I mean the quest hubs you need to complete for map completion.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Players Helping Players section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Frogmother
    Frogmother
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers. Guess I will pass then.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for me i think blackwood was the worst chapter, that story (and the related dungeons like black drake villa) actively made me hate eveli

i felt the high isle story was much better, although it still felt fairly short compared to say north elsweyr or summerset
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities