The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Spell and Weapon Critical Question... Please help

me_ming
me_ming
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm a returning player. I just got back a few weeks ago, and I've noticed that most sets and spells and passives provide both magicka and stamina based stats now, like Spell/Weapon dmg. And I was checking my different characters, and I've noticed that both Spell and Weapon Critical are the same. Are those values now ALWAYS going to be equal now matter what sets or skills or passives you have? If not, can anyone please tell me how we can make one higher than the other? Because as I was reading through the tool tip, it does say that if one is higher than the other it will give you bonuses. Thanks for reading, and appreciate the replies, because this has had me scratching my head.
"We're heroes, my boon companion, and heroes always win! Let that be a lesson to you."
-Caldwell, "The Final Assault"

"There is always a choice. But you don't get to choose what is true, you only get to choose what you will do about it..."

-Abnur Tharn, "God of Schemes"]
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have the in class minor buffs from NB or Sorc for example, one will be higher than the other.

From the top of my head I can't recall what you mean with "it will give you bonuses". Current game design is, that the higher of the two stats will be used to calculate your crit chance.
    This means if you have 30% weapon crit and 35% spell crit, your Dizzy swing will use the spill crit for calculations. Nothing else.
    Same goes for penetration, dmg and max resources (but resource costs won't swap from stam to mag or vice versa).
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Potions still give one or the other (not both). You should try to match your potions, Major Prophecy or Savagery, to your class or ally buff, Minor Prophecy (Sorc) or Savagery (NB). If you can't do this then slot something like Camo Hunter or Inner Light to give both Major buffs.
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have the in class minor buffs from NB or Sorc for example, one will be higher than the other.

From the top of my head I can't recall what you mean with "it will give you bonuses". Current game design is, that the higher of the two stats will be used to calculate your crit chance.
    This means if you have 30% weapon crit and 35% spell crit, your Dizzy swing will use the spill crit for calculations. Nothing else.
    Same goes for penetration, dmg and max resources (but resource costs won't swap from stam to mag or vice versa).

If you hover over either Spell or Weapon Crit in the character status, tooltip will say if one is higher than the other it will give you a bonus. I understand how how they work. I just don't know how I can make either one higher. Because right now, both my spell and weapon crit across all of my characters have the same crit.
    "We're heroes, my boon companion, and heroes always win! Let that be a lesson to you."

"There is always a choice. But you don't get to choose what is true, you only get to choose what you will do about it..."

• me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Potions still give one or the other (not both). You should try to match your potions, Major Prophecy or Savagery, to your class or ally buff, Minor Prophecy (Sorc) or Savagery (NB). If you can't do this then slot something like Camo Hunter or Inner Light to give both Major buffs.

So potions is the only thing that will give me either the Prophecy or Savagery buff now? Because that is what I was wondering, when I checked out Camo Hunter and Magelight, they give both buffs. Whereas before they only give one of the other, and that is why either my Spell Crit is higher or my Weapon Crit is higher. Now, they have the same value.

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    me_ming wrote: »

So potions is the only thing that will give me either the Prophecy or Savagery buff now? Because that is what I was wondering, when I checked out Camo Hunter and Magelight, they give both buffs. Whereas before they only give one of the other, and that is why either my Spell Crit is higher or my Weapon Crit is higher. Now, they have the same value.

Yep all will be the same if you use Camo or Inner light. The only things that could potentially make them different are the Sorc passive for 6% spell crit or the nightblade one for 6% weapon crit. Even those don't really matter though since all skills will scale with whichever crit chance is higher.

They really need to finish the hybridization changes. It's been in this confusing half-finished state for almost a year. Spell and weapon crit should just be combined into one stat called "critical chance". It's 95% there, just a couple of annoying exceptions left unaddressed.
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep all will be the same if you use Camo or Inner light. The only things that could potentially make them different are the Sorc passive for 6% spell crit or the nightblade one for 6% weapon crit. Even those don't really matter though since all skills will scale with whichever crit chance is higher.

They really need to finish the hybridization changes. It's been in this confusing half-finished state for almost a year. Spell and weapon crit should just be combined into one stat called "critical chance". It's 95% there, just a couple of annoying exceptions left unaddressed.

yeah, I'm really confused to be honest. It's been bugging me. I just checked and yes, at this point it's those two passives that'd really make either be higher than the other. Other than the potions. Not sure if Necro or Warden has any skills or passives could change that, I haven't played either classes yet. I'm not a fan how they are going about hybrid builds honestly. I think it takes away the distinction between stamina and magicka. Making sets that provides both weapon and spell damage/crit/crit chance/pen/resistances/etc is (imo) just laziness. And now it's very confusing.

So just to be clear here, there are little to no sets and/or skills/passives that will change your spell or weapon critical? other than activating your potions? Is this also true for Crit damage?

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct, all other skills, including everything on Necro or Warden is fully hybrid now. All sets as well, making things like Leviathan and Mother's Sorrow effectively the same set (just with a line or magicka or stamina, and with light or medium armor weight). Also true for crit damage.
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct, all other skills, including everything on Necro or Warden is fully hybrid now. All sets as well, making things like Leviathan and Mother's Sorrow effectively the same set (just with a line or magicka or stamina, and with light or medium armor weight). Also true for crit damage.

I see. So right now the only way you can really distinguish if a set is for mag or stam is weight and what max stat they provide. hmmmm.. So if you're not drinking your potions as a templar you're not getting the extra damage from spell or weapon crit. hmmmm... potions must be more expensive now. well, that's annoying. hahaha. Anyways, thanks for clarifying that with me. I've been asking around in chat, no one seems to know the answer. Cheers!

• Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So if you're not drinking your potions as a templar you're not getting the extra damage from spell or weapon crit.

The Templar skill Sun Fire and its morphs give Major Prophecy and Major Savagery.

• me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    So if you're not drinking your potions as a templar you're not getting the extra damage from spell or weapon crit.

The Templar skill Sun Fire and its morphs give Major Prophecy and Major Savagery.

It will still give you BOTH spell crit and weapon crit. Not either one or the other.

• Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It will still give you BOTH spell crit and weapon crit. Not either one or the other.

If you hover over either Spell or Weapon Crit in the character status, tooltip will say if one is higher than the other it will give you a bonus. I understand how how they work. I just don't know how I can make either one higher. Because right now, both my spell and weapon crit across all of my characters have the same crit.

I see now where your issue comes from. You are simply misreading the tooltip

The tooltip for wpn crit states "Gives your damage and healing abilites a chance to gain bonus potency if it is higher than your spell critical"

The bonus potency mentioned simply is the crit damage modifier. (50-125%).
    The chance is simply your critical chance.
    And "If it is higher than" only means, that the higher of both crit chances will be used.

There is no hidden damage boost for uneven crit chances. It is just wording that you misinterpret.
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I see now where your issue comes from. You are simply misreading the tooltip

The tooltip for wpn crit states "Gives your damage and healing abilites a chance to gain bonus potency if it is higher than your spell critical"

The bonus potency mentioned simply is the crit damage modifier. (50-125%).
    The chance is simply your critical chance.
    And "If it is higher than" only means, that the higher of both crit chances will be used.

There is no hidden damage boost for uneven crit chances. It is just wording that you misinterpret.

Actually, I'm not misunderstanding the tool tip. But I don't think you understand what I was asking about.

Anyways, someone already had a better explanation here. And I actually did my own research. Turns out you don't need either spell crit or weapon crit to be higher than the other. As right now that's not how the game is coded. They should really change that tooltip already, because that information is wrong. Right now the game will not check if either one is higher than the other. Because as someone mentioned it here, this is part of their plan to make everything hybrid. That was not the case before. And this is exactly why I don't like hybrid builds. Now there is no diversity in builds. It's just one build.

• BasP
    BasP
    ✭✭✭
    Right now the game will not check if either one is higher than the other. Because as someone mentioned it here, this is part of their plan to make everything hybrid.

Sorry, but I believe you still got it wrong. If one of them is higher than the other, the highest value will be used. So the game does check if that is the case. More often than not the values will be the same, true, but as someone else pointed out, some classes have access to the Minor versions too. If you're a Nightblade (or have one in the group), you get Minor Savagery by doing critical damage for example. In that case your Weapon Crit would be higher than your Spell Crit, and the game takes that into account.
    Edited by BasP on October 1, 2022 6:05AM
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BasP wrote: »
    Right now the game will not check if either one is higher than the other. Because as someone mentioned it here, this is part of their plan to make everything hybrid.

Sorry, but I believe you still got it wrong. If one of them is higher than the other, the highest value will be used. So the game does check if that is the case. More often than not the values will be the same, true, but as someone else pointed out, some classes have access to the Minor versions too. If you're a Nightblade (or have one in the group), you get Minor Savagery by doing critical damage for example. In that case your Weapon Crit would be higher than your Spell Crit, and the game takes that into account.

k