The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

The Druid King (new deck coming with Firesong)

spartaxoxo
spartaxoxo
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
It apparently rewards you for paying attention to which order you play cards in. Will be interesting to see what it's like!
  • Achernar
    Achernar
    ✭✭
    Yikes, another male patron? Seriously, please make this the Druid Queen so we can have at least a modicum of diversity among patrons (one raven aside). It's a bit ridiculous that there is not even one female patron in ToT.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want a Stibbons deck.
    PCNA
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Achernar wrote: »
    Yikes, another male patron? Seriously, please make this the Druid Queen so we can have at least a modicum of diversity among patrons (one raven aside). It's a bit ridiculous that there is not even one female patron in ToT.

Yeah, I noticed that too.
  • gronin
    gronin
    ✭✭

This is ridiculous. Devs need to read the room, there is no reason for not having female patreons.
  • sekou_trayvond
    sekou_trayvond
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hooray! And yes, kinda weird no female patrons so far.
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's ok I guess. I love the card game but not too excited about one new deck.
    In my opinion, each time they want to add something new to the card game, it should be 2 new decks to get some varity, otherwise it will be barly noticible.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • Psilent
    Psilent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's ok I guess. I love the card game but not too excited about one new deck.
    In my opinion, each time they want to add something new to the card game, it should be 2 new decks to get some varity, otherwise it will be barly noticible.

I was surprised at only 1 deck being added too. I read somewhere they had 16 decks made, so was thinking we’d get 2 in this DLC.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm only hope it won't be any game broking deck like maormer...
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Druid Priestess would be awesome D:
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

is this actually a real problem? i mean, it's a single tiny static picture. the druid king was already established, so that doesn't seem like it's gonna happen. i'd be down to see a dark brotherhood night mother deck though i guess, but not because the patron is a woman (also a corpse yikes lol), but because it'd probably have a big focus on agents.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on September 19, 2022 6:31AM
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Jaclynn
    Jaclynn
    ✭✭✭
    The Patronarchy at work...lol... (I don't care if there are male, female, non-binary, daedra, or amphibians represented. It's not a deal breaker.)
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."

PC/NA
    @Jaclynn
    GM "The Rogue's Bounty"
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering what a Druid King patron will do and what the cards will be like.
    Edited by SilverBride on September 19, 2022 6:14PM
    PCNA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone knows on Monday, please do post about it here! I can't get on PTS because I'm console. I'm so curious!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

is this actually a real problem? i mean, it's a single tiny static picture. the druid king was already established, so that doesn't seem like it's gonna happen. i'd be down to see a dark brotherhood night mother deck though i guess, but not because the patron is a woman (also a corpse yikes lol), but because it'd probably have a big focus on agents.

If you don't see a problem with 9 male patrons and 0 female patrons in a card game developed by a fantastical, egalitarian society, I don't suppose I can convince you. Any more than I can convince you that it's a problem in a video game made in the current day and marketed to male and female gamers alike.

We had a much longer discussion on it here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/613962/are-the-patrons-all-male/p1

The gist of my contribution to that discussion is that as the Lore team starts picking through the Lore from older games looking for recognizable characters to make patrons of their decks, its not surprising that they mostly chose male characters. Men are overrepresented in the older lore, for reasons to do more with the society the IRL authors lived in than Tamriel. That means that, assuming the Lore and Tales team wants to create a card game representative of the more egalitarian societies of Tamriel, they are going to have to look at creating, and then choosing, more women to be patrons.

I don't know enough about High Isle's story to know if the Druid King is a character created specifically for ESO, and thus if he could have been a Druid Queen without any trouble.

I do know that of the original 8 male patrons, Delmene Hlaalu was created specifically for ESO. So even when the Lore team made a new character just for Tales of Tribute, they made him a man.

I also know that ZOS has publicly noted that people want more male companions when people complained about getting 3 women and 1 man.

So I expect that ZOS can and should do better when it comes to Tales of Tribute patrons.
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 19, 2022 6:27PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So yeah, the new deck seems super busted.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

If you don't see a problem with 9 male patrons and 0 female patrons in a card game developed by a fantastical, egalitarian society, I don't suppose I can convince you. Any more than I can convince you that it's a problem in a video game made in the current day and marketed to male and female gamers alike.

We had a much longer discussion on it here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/613962/are-the-patrons-all-male/p1

The gist of my contribution to that discussion is that as the Lore team starts picking through the Lore from older games looking for recognizable characters to make patrons of their decks, its not surprising that they mostly chose male characters. Men are overrepresented in the older lore, for reasons to do more with the society the IRL authors lived in than Tamriel. That means that, assuming the Lore and Tales team wants to create a card game representative of the more egalitarian societies of Tamriel, they are going to have to look at creating, and then choosing, more women to be patrons.

I don't know enough about High Isle's story to know if the Druid King is a character created specifically for ESO, and thus if he could have been a Druid Queen without any trouble.

I do know that of the original 8 male patrons, Delmene Hlaalu was created specifically for ESO. So even when the Lore team made a new character just for Tales of Tribute, they made him a man.

I also know that ZOS has publicly noted that people want more male companions when people complained about getting 3 women and 1 man.

So I expect that ZOS can and should do better when it comes to Tales of Tribute patrons.

let me ask you this.

does a tribute patron being a woman as opposed to a man actually change anything? because as far as i see, it's a skin for a deck archetype. i legitimately don't think distribution of genders was actually a concern when they made the deck because it has quite literally no bearing on anything. am i opposed to a woman being the figurehead of a patron deck? no. because i don't think it's an important detail. why should we care if they're a man or a woman when the context is so minor that it quite literally doesn't matter at all?
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

let me ask you this.

does a tribute patron being a woman as opposed to a man actually change anything? because as far as i see, it's a skin for a deck archetype. i legitimately don't think distribution of genders was actually a concern when they made the deck because it has quite literally no bearing on anything. am i opposed to a woman being the figurehead of a patron deck? no. because i don't think it's an important detail. why should we care if they're a man or a woman when the context is so minor that it quite literally doesn't matter at all?

Since you don't see a problem, I don't expect I shall convince you otherwise.

I do consider it an important detail. Tamriel's societies are not male-dominated. They are egalitarian and we should expect to see that reflected in their card games. We do in fact see that in their quests and zones.

So why don't we see it in their card game?

Why do we see nine male authority figures, and zero women? That's a scene more suited for our world, not Tamriel.

The patrons weren't actually chosen by the people of Tamriel who created this card game. They were chosen by the Lore and Tales of Tribute teams.

ZOS is usually pretty good about creating content that reflects the egalitarian societies of Tamriel. They dropped the ball on this one. They dropped the ball nine times in a row, in fact.

If the lore/Tales team doesn't reflect on the lack of prominent women in the older lore, or the tendency for the prominent women in those factions to be overshadowed by other prominent male figures, or for that matter, that they can create a new woman and give her an interesting backstory like they did for Delmene Hlaalu, we're very likely to continue getting many more male patrons than we are female patrons. And right now, the ratio is 9:0, which is not promising.

You consider this an unimportant detail. I consider it an area where these teams who usually do a good job can and should do better.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You consider this an unimportant detail. I consider it an area where these teams who usually do a good job can and should do better.

Yeah 9 patrons is actually a pretty good amount. If we get to 10 patrons and still don't have a female, I'm going to be pretty surprised and unimpressed. Honestly I think not making the crow patron Nocturnal, or making the Hllalu patron a guy are the two it sticks out to me most with though. Nocturnal is their mistress. They could have had the Duke be her strongest card and the one everyone wants to get, that would better reflect the tale of the crows IMO.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on September 21, 2022 3:34PM