The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

DK ability "Firey grip" and its morphs are being used to grief players

Hexcaliber
Hexcaliber
✭✭✭
The DK skill “fiery grip” is being used to grief other players, very often deliberately.

Players with this ability are pulling mobs that are already engaged in combat, forcing the engaged player to run after the mob in question if they want to continue fighting. Numerous times, I have had players use this ability on npc’s I am already engaged in combat with; many, even after I have asked them to stop.It would be all well and good if I could turn and attack the player responsible, but that is not possible; as a result they are free to grief others without repercussions.

There is no valid reason that this ability should pull a mob from a random player that is already in combat, it should be stopped from doing so. It may have applications for off tanks and group play, but it is nothing more than deliberate griefing when used in random play.

Why should I, or anyone else, have the flow of our game-play interrupted due to the the ignorance of others. I should not even have to stop play to message them, let alone waste time reporting them if they continue(as if that does any good right now). The issue should not arise in the first place, it should have been obvious from the outset that some players would chose to use the ability in this way, and frankly, I am sick of it.
Regards Hexcaliber.
  • norrisnick
    norrisnick
    ✭✭✭
    What if a player using Fiery Grip pulled a mob that was going to kill said random player? I've been thanked dozens of times for helping someone out if they ended up getting surrounded by a bit more than they could handle themselves. That's a pretty core component of multi-player gaming. Organic grouping, I've been invited to a group in such situations to clear out a certain area or dungeon.

Sure there are always going to be ***. You can't avoid them in real life and you can't avoid them in games. And especially not if you ask them to stop whatever it is they're doing. That's blood in the water. Best bet would be to let them 'play through' wait for the spawns to reset and then continue on your way.

If the problem is other players impacting the flow of your game-play period. Well... this is ESO and not TESVI.

Edited by norrisnick on April 30, 2014 11:39AM
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol....its a MMO not a single player game, may want to go back to playing singles if stuff like this bothers you, its been going on since 1999 with EQ1 and before that with UA , I started in 1999 and have played numerous MMO,s since then , a little bit of rage gets your mojo going and quite honestly things get boring without a few of these things happening now and again.
    Edited by Reevster on April 30, 2014 11:42AM
  • Zazar
    Zazar
    ✭✭
    Let's remove all mechanism-based abilities and don't allow players to touch any engaged mob! Let's phase all players so that they can't see each other!
  • Armoril
    Armoril
    ✭✭✭
    Hexcaliber wrote: »
    Players with this ability are pulling mobs that are already engaged in combat, forcing the engaged player to run after the mob in question if they want to continue fighting.

It sounds to me like they were just trying to help you out.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is during a dungeon farm , i do a shield charge.

If the target is on the floor , they cant pull it. So they are the ones stuck far away.

Never saw someone do this in the normal PvE situations , usually players are really friendly and are just helping each other , atleast that is my experience up to vet2.
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on April 30, 2014 11:55AM
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • TheGrimaceOR
    TheGrimaceOR
    ✭✭
    Yeah lets change an entire game mechanic because a mob you were attacking is now a couple of feet farther away from you. Yes you could just turn around and take the second and a half to walk to the pulled mob, or we can do the eazy fix and change an entire class move because you can't be bothered. Not to mention if it bothers you that much you can just get the fighters guild skill silver leash and yank it back.
  • KoooZ
    KoooZ
    ✭✭
    You still get kill credit, exp, and everything. The only thing this can do to you is... make you run 20 meters occasionally? This is not griefing. This isn't even trolling.

Is the same guy at least following you around for hours upon hours, doing this everytime and not helping kill them?
    Edited by KoooZ on April 30, 2014 11:56AM
  • Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry in about 2 month well have the crime system you will be able to kill player of your own faction long as you are willing to pay 1000 gold to someone who scream at you ''STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!'' or are willing to constantly fight guards when you enter a town.
    One bow to darken the sun
    One bow to unite the clans
    One bow to conquer the world and in darkness drown it...

- Prophecy of the tyranny of the sun
  • smercgames_ESO
    smercgames_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously? This is one of the most idiotic posts I have seen on here lately. "Please stop other people in an MMO from playing with me unless I give them signed consent to acknowledge I exist"....

First of all, this game isn't like most MMO's with a *** tagging system so even if they yank a mob right before you hit it you can still hit it with anything and get pretty much full xp on them since the xp split from what I've experienced is pretty darn generous.

Second, you are complaining because someone helps you kill a mob faster or because you have to move a few in game meters? Do you not have any ranged abilities? Do you not have any gap closers? If you have no gap closer and no ranged abilities then IMO you need to rethink what you have on your bar.

Third, please stop complaining about things for no reason other than to complain. Your post might as well have said, can you please remove all social aspects to this game and set it only in the Nords territory.. and please change the name and call it Skyrim. Thank you.

I "tagged" as many mobs as I could leveling up because the XP split is minimal and why not share everything with people of your faction who might help you out in PvP later. I expect everyone who runs by "my" mobs to hit them and I expect nobody to be a whiny child who screams GRIEFER when I run by and use Swallow Soul on "theirs"
  • lichmeister
    lichmeister
    ✭✭✭
    ^
    @smercgames_ESO pretty much summed it up. 'nuff said :\
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive had one DK doing this to me... out of hundreds of DKs i met.
    I wanted to strangle him but instead i moved away and kept playing.
    Definately not a big deal.
  • Chomppa
    Chomppa
    ✭✭✭
    Those pesky Deathknights using deathgrip on everything are at it again . lol
    :):D:(;):\:o:s:p:'(:|B):#o:)<3 (*) >:)
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ Hexcaliber‌
    Hexcaliber wrote: »
    The DK skill “fiery grip” is being used to grief other players, very often deliberately.

Players with this ability are pulling mobs that are already engaged in combat, forcing the engaged player to run after the mob in question if they want to continue fighting. Numerous times, I have had players use this ability on npc’s I am already engaged in combat with; many, even after I have asked them to stop.It would be all well and good if I could turn and attack the player responsible, but that is not possible; as a result they are free to grief others without repercussions.

There is no valid reason that this ability should pull a mob from a random player that is already in combat, it should be stopped from doing so. It may have applications for off tanks and group play, but it is nothing more than deliberate griefing when used in random play.

Why should I, or anyone else, have the flow of our game-play interrupted due to the the ignorance of others. I should not even have to stop play to message them, let alone waste time reporting them if they continue(as if that does any good right now). The issue should not arise in the first place, it should have been obvious from the outset that some players would chose to use the ability in this way, and frankly, I am sick of it.

I don't think this is a mechanic flaw this is a player flaw. As others have already mentioned when used as intended this ability saves lives.. when used to grief it interferes with normal gameplay. If they do it on purpose, after you ask them to stop.. report them for interfering with your gameplay, intentionally puling mob away from you... just be sure it was intentional IMO, because reporting just because something annoyed us hurts the system more than helps.

And for saying you should not HAVE to report someone for playing like a jerk... we are all in that boat no matter what MMO we play or what company is on the box. They can create a fun game that allows for personal choices and report jerks, or they can create a rigid game that allows for no outside interference or AID whatsoever...
    VR2 Ataxia - [NA] Veteran Dominion Sorcerer [Auriel's Bow]
    PvP, PvE, Crafting, and General Shenanigans
    >:) Sorcery and Mayhem online since 1999 >:)
    Current PvP Class/Supernatural Census
  • Fruity_Ninja
    Fruity_Ninja
    ✭✭✭
    I do this all the time and it's not to grief players. It's to control the enemy players and split their forces up. If the player currently engaging 4-5 enemies on their own has a hurt ego because I pulled one enemy away then so be it, that is his/her problem to deal with.
  • paelian
    paelian
    When I learned that the loot and XP split was generous and that there is no "tagging" of enemies in PvE, I decided that it was awesome that others would start attacking the same enemies as I.

Sometimes, I want to practice my skill rotations a bit longer (when 5 random people gank a trash pull, you don't get to use that many skills), but I have no problem with people grabbing enemies as long as I get my hit in.

In fact, I think it's rather genius. With the possible exception of boss farming in public dungeons, I don't feel like I have to "guard my kills" or anything. Even if you and I aren't wasting time offering and accepting group invites (because we just ran into each other in the middle of combat), we can and should still work together.
  • Enigma1985
    Enigma1985
    ✭✭
    Chomppa wrote: »
    Those pesky Deathknights using deathgrip on everything are at it again . lol

My thoughts exactly. I think everyone who doesn't see how annoying this can be has either never played WoW or haven't found themselves in a situation where that grip can adversely affect things. In both WoW and ESO I've seen the following happen many times in PvP:

-Group of 2-4 players are beating down an overpowered/extremely good player
    -Said player is almost dead (as are those trying to kill him/her)
    -Dragonknight/Death Knight uses their grip ability and pulls the target away from the group
    -Sudden drop in DPS done to player allows them to recover somehow (lucky and/or quick heals are usually the key factor here)
    -Overpowered player wipes out the group
    -DK wonders what happened and why everyone is mad

As someone who mains a Death Knight in WoW and who has tried a Dragonknight in ESO I'll say this: there's a proper time and place for your grip. If the mob you want to whack on is engaged with someone who is obviously playing a melee built character then nine times out of ten it's not a good time.

Granted if the player in question is almost dead and has no hope of beating the mob then by all means pull them away. Same applies to any type of ranged character who should be avoiding melee at all costs. However try to be reasonable and smart when you do it. If at all possible try to avoid pulling the mob behind the person if they are ranged.

Oh and if you see the above situation with multiple people attempting to beat down a lone player in PvP then DON'T GRIP THEM AWAY!

• Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are starting to reach the bottom of the barrel with your DK whines.
  • Theron75
    Theron75
    ✭✭
    "Kill stealing" is a thing of the past. I haven't seen any such mechanic in an MMO for several years. In other words, who cares? No harm, no foul.

Personally, I use it to yank MOBs into lava against known farm bots. The bot follows the MOB, then dies in the fire. See? I'm doing my part.
  • Reykice
    Reykice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I`ve had it happen to me too and i did not need any help but let`s be honest its rare and you can`t stop people from being ***.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or, what if you pull a mob away from a bot player, and lets say pull the mob into a lava pool and then watch the bot walk into the lava and stand there until they're dead. And then watch them respawn in the lava and die again.

Personally, i don't want to miss out on those moments ...
    :)
  • LadyInTheWater
    LadyInTheWater
    ✭✭✭
    I have a lot of DKs do this. Since I'm pretty savvy with my crowd control abilities, it's never been in a situation where I needed "help". Judging by the looks of it, it's more likely that those particular DKs just want to get a quick hit on your mob, so they can get xp for it.

When I run into DKs doing this to me, I usually just hang back and wait till they start engaging in combat on their own. Then I just tag their mobs once, and let them carry me through kills for awhile. Turnabout is fair play, as far as I'm concerned. I can always tell when they start to get frustrated, because they'll just stop moving for a long time. Once they get to that point, then I go off in some other direction and finish what I was doing in the first place.

When you use someone's own behavior against them, it's quite an effective deterrent for the future. You'd probably enjoy it.

The only downside is that it kinda forces you to become the people you hate.
    The moment you call someone stupid, or try to display your opinion as "fact", you lose all credibility.