The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Most profitable overland sets?

Tesman85
Tesman85
✭✭✭✭
I just spent a few million gold for furnishing plans, and am down to less than a million. So, I have to find a faster way to fill my coffers than just daily writs. I've never bought or sold set items from the guild traders, but remember seeing some for sale for rather hefty sums of money. Unfortunately, I have no idea what sets are worth most (except maybe Mother's Sorrow), and limited time for extensive research. Thus, I would be grateful if someone could tell me if farming set items is still profitable and what sets in what traits are the most in demand at the moment. Gotta get those millions back if I'll intend to do my next spending spree, which is motif pages.

EDIT: Forgot to add the server I'm playing at, it's PC EU.
Edited by Tesman85 on August 29, 2022 4:14PM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some will fetch more than others, but these are the sets I've had success selling without them bouncing back.

Mother's Sorrow
    Bright Throat (PVP)
    Crafty Alfiq (PVP)
    Spriggan's Thorns
    Plague Doctor (Tank)

Those are easily the top 5 I've had success with.

7th Legion (PVP)
    Spinner's (Mostly PVP)
    Briarheart
    Beekeeper (PVP)
    War Maiden
    Kynemarcher
    Martial Knowledge
    Swamp Raider (PVP)

Next level down, but they sell pretty fast

Pariah (PVP)
    Sword Singer (niche set, but the 2H weapons and jewels sell)
    Green Pact (Tank & PVP)
    Trainee (No idea, but it sells)
    Order of Diagna (No idea why, but it sells)
    Salvation
    Red Mountain (Weapons & jewels only)
    Winter's Respite (PVE Healer)
    Prisoner's Rags (Was a great cheese set in trials for a while, don't know if they fixed that issue)

These will sell, but not really sets I'd actively farm.

The sticker book has decreased the economy for body pieces that are not in the preferred or ideal trait, some to the point of irrelevance. For instance, Plague Doctor in sturdy, reinforced, or infused will sell, but invigorating or well fitted probably will not. Most relevant weapons will sell regardless of trait, again with price being a factor.

• Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some will fetch more than others, but these are the sets I've had success selling without them bouncing back.

Mother's Sorrow
    Bright Throat (PVP)
    Crafty Alfiq (PVP)
    Spriggan's Thorns
    Plague Doctor (Tank)

7th Legion (PVP)
    Spinner's (Mostly PVP)
    Briarheart
    Beekeeper (PVP)
    War Maiden
    Kynemarcher
    Martial Knowledge
    Swamp Raider (PVP)

Pariah (PVP)
    Green Pact (Tank & PVP)
    Salvation
    Prisoner's Rags (Was a great cheese set in trials for a while, don't know if they fixed that issue)

The sticker book has decreased the economy for body pieces that are not in the preferred or ideal trait, some to the point of irrelevance. For instance, Plague Doctor in sturdy, reinforced, or infused will sell, but invigorating or well fitted probably will not. Most relevant weapons will sell regardless of trait, again with price being a factor.

Thank you! I have to try farming those. Taking a guess, purple jewelry generally sells for the highest price? What with the temper scarcity (and prices), that kind of items might be in demand.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tesman85 wrote: »

Mother's Sorrow
    Bright Throat (PVP)
    Crafty Alfiq (PVP)
    Spriggan's Thorns
    Plague Doctor (Tank)

7th Legion (PVP)
    Spinner's (Mostly PVP)
    Briarheart
    Beekeeper (PVP)
    War Maiden
    Kynemarcher
    Martial Knowledge
    Swamp Raider (PVP)

Pariah (PVP)
    Green Pact (Tank & PVP)
    Salvation

Thank you! I have to try farming those. Taking a guess, purple jewelry generally sells for the highest price? What with the temper scarcity (and prices), that kind of items might be in demand.

Purple jewels will always sell for more. Same as with weapons/armor, but the right trait in blue will sell for more than a bad trait in purple. Good luck. The gear economy is strange and can bottom out from time to time, especially with events.
  • Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also took a quick look today at what kind of crafted set gear would sell and at what prices. Looks like some golded items like Julianos robe in Divine trait could fetch more than 100 000 gold apiece. Still, there's the cost of materials to consider so I think the profit marginal could be quite small. Have to make some calculations, but overland set farming seems to be more reasonable method at a first glance. After all, one can find other sales-worthy stuff while doing it.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Tesman85 I wouldn't risk crafting gold gear for sale unless you have a glut of materials. Its probably more profitable to sell the gold mats than the crafted gear. I only make crafted gear for others when they provide the mats. Whether or not I get paid is up to them. Its more a favor than for profit.

If you want to make gold fast and easy, hook up with a trials group and do plunder runs of vet Hel Ra and AA (it has to be vet, plunder does not drop on normal). Can make 10K-15K per run just from the plunder drops. Daily crafting writs net about 5-6K for all 7. Group dungeon runs, and even some public dungeon runs can get you a lot of ornate gear, though the time vs. gold ratio is not as good as a vet AA run. Selling motifs is profitable. Though not guaranteed, motifs drop frequently in Kynes Aegis and Rock Grove. Or do the dailies in Deadlands for their motifs. They can go anywhere from 10K to 50K depending on the motif.
  • tomfant
    tomfant
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you don't mind PVP you can go into Cyrodiil for the new sets from the reward coffers. These sell for quite a bit, especially weapons. It's temporary, though. Once the market is saturated, prices will drop drastically.
  • Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Tesman85 I wouldn't risk crafting gold gear for sale unless you have a glut of materials. Its probably more profitable to sell the gold mats than the crafted gear. I only make crafted gear for others when they provide the mats. Whether or not I get paid is up to them. Its more a favor than for profit.

If you want to make gold fast and easy, hook up with a trials group and do plunder runs of vet Hel Ra and AA (it has to be vet, plunder does not drop on normal). Can make 10K-15K per run just from the plunder drops. Daily crafting writs net about 5-6K for all 7. Group dungeon runs, and even some public dungeon runs can get you a lot of ornate gear, though the time vs. gold ratio is not as good as a vet AA run. Selling motifs is profitable. Though not guaranteed, motifs drop frequently in Kynes Aegis and Rock Grove. Or do the dailies in Deadlands for their motifs. They can go anywhere from 10K to 50K depending on the motif.

Well, I've never done a trial since I don't think my skills would pass the muster (got only barely passable DPS, have tanked only WBs and healed mostly in normal random dungeons). But I'll try those Deadlands dailies. I am already doing writs with 8-10 characters almost daily, but it's a bit slow and inactive for my tastes. That's why I was thinking of more fun ways to make that sweet gold. I agree that selling gold mats seems to be more efficient than trying to sell golded items, the latter is too much dependent on luck and guesswork.
    tomfant wrote: »
    If you don't mind PVP you can go into Cyrodiil for the new sets from the reward coffers. These sell for quite a bit, especially weapons. It's temporary, though. Once the market is saturated, prices will drop drastically.

Oh, I don't mind in the least but on the contrary like PvPing in Cyrodiil very much now and then. I totally forgot about the new sets, thanks for the idea!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    any off-size gear from hews bane lol

got a heavy syvarra gloves the other day and was able to immediately sell it for 150k lol, it wasnt even a good trait lol

however the only way to really farm for these is theives guild heists and pure RNG if you get one of the off size gear
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Tesman85 I don't know what level you are, but if you can do the base group dungeons on vet as a DD, you can do the AA and HRC trials on normal as a DD. I would say as long as your CP is over 300, you can do it. I would wait until your CP is up around 600 for vet AA and HRC trials. They are not that hard as long as you know the mechanics, which are easy to learn by playing. But once you do, its simple and profitable. Plus, there's a good stamina set in HRC (Berserking Warrior).

Its intimidating to jump in as a first time noob in a pug group in Craglorn. But for me, trials and vet DLC dungeons are some of the best content in this game. And if you haven't tried the base dungeons on vet (i.e. Fungal Grotto, Direfrost, Crypt of Hearts, etc.) give them a try. While there are loads of horror stories on these threads about group finder, more times than not you will be dropped into a group with some pretty strong DDs and tanks that can carry you through the base dungeons until you understand them. They are not all that hard.
    Edited by El_Borracho on August 31, 2022 8:29PM
  • ezmaye
    ezmaye
    ✭✭✭
    What I generally do is look at all the build guides from alcast plus others and farm/sell those. A lot of people follow guides to the tee, so it's an easy way to know what to farm.
  • Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Tesman85 I don't know what level you are, but if you can do the base group dungeons on vet as a DD, you can do the AA and HRC trials on normal as a DD. I would say as long as your CP is over 300, you can do it. I would wait until your CP is up around 600 for vet AA and HRC trials. They are not that hard as long as you know the mechanics, which are easy to learn by playing. But once you do, its simple and profitable. Plus, there's a good stamina set in HRC (Berserking Warrior).

Its intimidating to jump in as a first time noob in a pug group in Craglorn. But for me, trials and vet DLC dungeons are some of the best content in this game. And if you haven't tried the base dungeons on vet (i.e. Fungal Grotto, Direfrost, Crypt of Hearts, etc.) give them a try. While there are loads of horror stories on these threads about group finder, more times than not you will be dropped into a group with some pretty strong DDs and tanks that can carry you through the base dungeons until you understand them. They are not all that hard.

Well, I'm at 980-something CP at the moment. At least on my solo build magsorc I am able to solo many normal group dungeons either all alone or with an almost unleveled companion (this far, Vaults of Madness, Fungal Grotto, Wayrest Sewers I and one other whose name I don't remember now). So far I have thought that trials are something of elite-level difficulty and I'd fail miserably. Maybe it's the very technical discussion and obsessive gear gatekeeping one often sees on Reddit and on these forums. But perhaps I should give them a try as a healer or something.
    ezmaye wrote: »
    What I generally do is look at all the build guides from alcast plus others and farm/sell those. A lot of people follow guides to the tee, so it's an easy way to know what to farm.

How didn't I think that? Yes, it makes all kinds of sense that sets recommended by Alcast would be in demand.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Tesman85 I too once thought the trials required elite-level DPS. After all, that is all you see on these threads. Its not true, especially to do normal trials. The easiest 3 to do are AA, HRC, and Cloudrest, with Sunspire being a close 4th. When I started doing trials, I thought I was going to get kicked out by a bunch of toxic try-hards the first time I died. Nothing could be further from the truth. Just pop into one of those 3 in Craglorn on a pug, tell people its your first time, listen to what the tanks or raid leader tells people to do, and 99% of the time they will be cool.

The other trials are a bit harder on normal due to more mechanics and more difficult adds (Kynes Aegis, for example) but they are not all that difficult. Once you get into vet trials, the DPS requirements do spike for the non-AA and HRC trials. Even Cloudrest gets more difficult.

Get set up with a mic and you'll be fine. And if you end up not liking it, at least you tried. I have a great time running in raids.
  • Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Tesman85 I too once thought the trials required elite-level DPS. After all, that is all you see on these threads. Its not true, especially to do normal trials. The easiest 3 to do are AA, HRC, and Cloudrest, with Sunspire being a close 4th. When I started doing trials, I thought I was going to get kicked out by a bunch of toxic try-hards the first time I died. Nothing could be further from the truth. Just pop into one of those 3 in Craglorn on a pug, tell people its your first time, listen to what the tanks or raid leader tells people to do, and 99% of the time they will be cool.

The other trials are a bit harder on normal due to more mechanics and more difficult adds (Kynes Aegis, for example) but they are not all that difficult. Once you get into vet trials, the DPS requirements do spike for the non-AA and HRC trials. Even Cloudrest gets more difficult.

Get set up with a mic and you'll be fine. And if you end up not liking it, at least you tried. I have a great time running in raids.

Well, now when you put it like that, I have to give trials a try. As for the mic, I just gotta make sure if the PC version has voice chat without using Discord or something like that.