The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Which class would be the most powerful in universe?

Jarl_Ironheart
Jarl_Ironheart
✭✭✭✭✭
So, we all know what characters classes rank in the different categories. But if we had to pick which one is the strongest based off lore and in universe reasons which do you think would be on top.

I feel like nightblades would be the weakest due to them being just being shadow assassins. I would believe a Templar or Necro be the most powerful but Dragonknights could probably also be unbelievably hard to kill. What do you think?
Push Posh Applesauce, Pocket Full of Marmalade.

Which class would be the most powerful in universe? 138 votes

Dragonknights
25%
TheForFeeFDTStormfoxWingAvalonRangerEnemy-of-ColdharbourMayraelVevvevAstironJaavaaMikeSkyrim333DaimmyomerpinsDojohodaTommy_The_Gunmaster_vanargandJingleclawHamish999Unified_Gamingjtm1018bmnoble 35 votes
Templars
15%
BaconladAmphithoeRagnarok0130Bald_templarADarkloreMjolnirVilkasTyharTairenSoulNoszetAshrynAnonomissXrexagamemnonalienmzACamaroGuyAinSophZodiarkslayerDragonlord573MorvanMafiaCat115shinry 22 votes
Wardens
1%
dmnqwkHvíthákarl 2 votes
Sorcerers
28%
GlassHalfFullVehlirpsychotripLaerothKeykalynSheridanpreeviousCendrillion21EiregirlAsdaracharley222Easily_LostCaptainVenomJim_PippKandrecargummy292Bobby_V_RockitmeekmikoAztriasTyrobagMolydeus 39 votes
Necromancers
16%
Caligamy_ESOdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOstevenyaub16_ESOBlkadrAnhedonieBronzeCaimanC0L0SSUSAnkael07ArgonianAustinJierdanitCatagamiKiyakotariBretonMagezombniacElvenOverlordedward_frigidhandsLephrelRugby_hookfrancesinhaloverAmerises 23 votes
Nightblades
12%
AstridValvemertustaTX12001rwb17_ESONeoXanthusParasaurolophuskalunteAliyavanaShadowasrialFinedaiblecolossalvoidsthe1andonlyskwexNevidyraModzcsomnidohboi_anachronism_joergino 17 votes
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given most of them have flimsical lore placement at best... eh.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars
    I'd say templar...however all toons have access to restoration. Being masters of it I think pulls them ahead. Forgetting about spears, being able to drop flares out of the sky onto enemies would seem to me to be the most OP in universe. Maybe nightblades as a close second.
  • EldritchSun
    EldritchSun
    ✭✭✭
    Dragonknights are ZoS invention. A mix of the Dragonguard, generic pyromancers and Akaviri martial arts' masters (what?). Templars are a mix of typical lore Knights of the Order of whatever and temple healers, wardens are a mix of druids (did we have any animal summoners in the classic games, despite Spriggans in Oblivion btw?) and generic frostcasters, sorcs are your first mage build in Skyrim, nightblades are your non-bow magic assassin build, so only necros might have some lore behind them.

Practically sorcs, because consorting with the daedric princes might cause something like TES IV. Theoretically necros, because it's sorta consorting with one daedric prince, plus ability to become undead lich and raise countless undead. This is not about the in-game joke aka elemental Halloween mage, though.
  • Jarl_Ironheart
    Jarl_Ironheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknights
    Jazraena wrote: »

Well yes, they didn't exist in previous elder scrolls save for Sorcs and Nightblades. At least the names of pre set classes in old TES games. But they exist now in lore whether we like or not
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell, because in lore classes are not really a thing. Any mage could learn to summon daedra, do "destruction" magic such as lightning, fire and frost, learn necromancy etc.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wardens
    It could depend on how much power they had.

The weakest are Dragonknights and Nightblades, with no mystical powers
    Necromancers control life and death, but are pretty poor at the death part so no insta-killing others.
    Sorcerers control the elements and have summoning abilities (meaning they control made up creatures)
    Wardens control the planet and the non-sentient creatures on it.
    Templars control the sun

While it might seem Templars are the most powerful, it's like a nuclear option - use it and they're dead.
    So Wardens are the most powerful, having enough control to wipe out everyone else.
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancers
    Sorcs are really strong, isnt crit surge related to meridia? Control over dadedra and everything.

But ill give the title of most powerfull to necromancers. Raising a army of undead, being able to transform, making explosions using that undead army, poisoning and applying decease, being able to summon huge colossus, the fact they can use souls to buff themselves or create armor, And eso necros use daedra souls too.

If we go by logic, eso class necros are more or less good ppl, because they could litteraly summon armys, revive who the army kills and clean tamriel
    Edited by francesinhalover on August 31, 2022 12:56AM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • Jarl_Ironheart
    Jarl_Ironheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknights
    dmnqwk wrote: »
    It could depend on how much power they had.

Necromancers control life and death, but are pretty poor at the death part so no insta-killing others.
    Sorcerers control the elements and have summoning abilities (meaning they control made up creatures)
    Wardens control the planet and the non-sentient creatures on it.
    Templars control the sun

While it might seem Templars are the most powerful, it's like a nuclear option - use it and they're dead.
    So Wardens are the most powerful, having enough control to wipe out everyone else.

Dragonknighrs use powers from the Akaviri who were very powerful race and call upon abilities of dragons which we know are extremely powerful in the TES universe. I really don't see them being weakest. Being able to harden your body to a unkillable state seems pretty strong to me. Plus they were the beginning of the blades and the honor guard of the imperials so they were a militarized faction to a certain point.
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancers

Well yes, they didn't exist in previous elder scrolls save for Sorcs and Nightblades. At least the names of pre set classes in old TES games. But they exist now in lore whether we like or not

Is eso lore even cannon to es?

I see es lore youtubers all the time and they ignore eso's exists.
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • Jarl_Ironheart
    Jarl_Ironheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknights

As far as I'm aware it is Canon. I've heard the theory that some powerful wizard erases all what has happened in ESO but that sounds cheap and stupid. So, according to ZOS I believe it is canon.
  • ice34697
    ice34697
    ✭✭✭
    Templars
    It's a tossup between Templars and Wardens for me. Between being able to control the sun and being able to control nature, Those are two people that, outside of the game, I would NOT want to mess with.
  • Jarl_Ironheart
    Jarl_Ironheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknights
    ice34697 wrote: »
    It's a tossup between Templars and Wardens for me. Between being able to control the sun and being able to control nature, Those are two people that, outside of the game, I would NOT want to mess with.

I feel like DK are a hard counter to wardens. Fire and Earth vs Frost and Plants/Wood which we know is very flammable. But I agree templars would be nasty to fight due to the fact that they could probably create swords, axes, etc out of light too. No need for a weapon when you have rhe Sun at your disposal
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dmnqwk wrote: »

Dragonknights uses ancient Akaviri techniques and things connected to dragons that was unheard of before, while Nightblades uses shadow and blood magic which until ESO was some of the rarest magics in TES. Both their powers are very mystical.

Yes, and has given more lore than any of the other games. The ones who claim it's not canon are fools.
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on August 31, 2022 11:52AM
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guards.
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • Jarl_Ironheart
    Jarl_Ironheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknights
    dem0n1k wrote: »
    Guards.

Why can't you answer the question? Answers like this are not clever or funny.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    dem0n1k wrote: »
    Guards.

Why can't you answer the question? Answers like this are not clever or funny.

GUARDS
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say it's going to be Sorcerer, or Necromancer with enough prep time.
    A Templar will have an easy matchup against a Necromancer's undead army but will struggle when faced with the Necromancer in person due to a lack of fire power that is effective against mortals.
    Dragonknights are strong, but should not be overestimated either. Their martial arts are not as powerful as the thu'um and Necromancers could get their hands on Draugr masters of the voice.
    Without animals Wardens are kind of weak. In a jungle a Warden might win, provided nobody destroys all cover, which Necromancers, Sorcerers and Dragonknights are more than capable of, but even Nightblades can use that cover to their advantage as well.
    Nightblades are obviously going to win if their targets aren't expecting the attack, but if they are, the Nightblade will again struggle the most with the Daedric armor of the Sorcerer and whatever false life tricks the Necromancer has. Not to mention that the undead and daedra have an easier time seeing through illusions and stealth.

Sorcerers have access to the best armor, the strongest offensive arsenal and tie for strongest defensive magic with Templars, only falling behind in healing which is not needed so long as injury can be avoided. But unlike Templars they also have Daedric minions on top of that.
    Necromancers aren't very strong if they aren't prepared because most of the time you can only summon/raise one minion. Raising more than one at a time either involves preparations or incredible skill. If the Necromancer has incredible skill then so will the other classes for the sake of comparison and in the case of a Sorcerer that means a lot of Daedric trouble.

That's why I think the Sorcerer is #1 in a random encounter and the Necromancer is #1 with time to prepare.
    Edited by Ratzkifal on August 31, 2022 4:07AM
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Jarl_Ironheart
    Jarl_Ironheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknights
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    I'd say it's going to be Sorcerer, or Necromancer with enough prep time.
    A Templar will have an easy matchup against a Necromancer's undead army but will struggle when faced with the Necromancer in person due to a lack of fire power that is effective against mortals.
    Dragonknights are strong, but should not be overestimated either. Their martial arts are not as powerful as the thu'um and Necromancers could get their hands on Draugr masters of the voice.
    Without animals Wardens are kind of weak. In a jungle a Warden might win, provided nobody destroys all cover, which Necromancers, Sorcerers and Dragonknights are more than capable of, but even Nightblades can use that cover to their advantage as well.
    Nightblades are obviously going to win if their targets aren't expecting the attack, but if they are, the Nightblade will again struggle the most with the Daedric armor of the Sorcerer and whatever false life tricks the Necromancer has. Not to mention that the undead and daedra have an easier time seeing through illusions and stealth.

Sorcerers have access to the best armor, the strongest offensive arsenal and tie for strongest defensive magic with Templars, only falling behind in healing which is not needed so long as injury can be avoided. But unlike Templars they also have Daedric minions on top of that.
    Necromancers aren't very strong if they aren't prepared because most of the time you can only summon/raise one minion. Raising more than one at a time either involves preparations or incredible skill. If the Necromancer has incredible skill then so will the other classes for the sake of comparison and in the case of a Sorcerer that means a lot of Daedric trouble.

That's why I think the Sorcerer is #1 in a random encounter and the Necromancer is #1 with time to prepare.

Fair. Mages are usually the most op in many universes
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknights
    Personally, dk's kills me the most.

My nb is 0% in this poll, lol.
  • Jarl_Ironheart
    Jarl_Ironheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknights
    jtm1018 wrote: »
    Personally, dk's kills me the most.

My nb is 0% in this poll, lol.

I think that's due to the fact if you take a master of each class in universe, let's say a Nord Dragonknight, High Elf Sorcerer, a Breton Templar, a Orc Warden, a Imperial Necro and a Dark Elf Nightblade and put them in a arena to face off... well the Nightblade definitely ain't leaving there alive.
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nightblades
    For those who know the lore the answer is obviously the Nightblade and you know why?

Thry have Shadow Msgic, you know the most powerful msgic in the series.
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Classes in general don't exist, irrespective of whether they were in a previous TES game or not. They're an abstract construct, a game mechanic, to transport a concept into something we can play.

The problem is that the classes we do have are often poorly defined in-universe. What even is a Warden, for example? Who in Tamriel goes around summoning mushrooms, vines, Vvardenfell animals and a random bear? I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm saying ZOS would need to commit to a more defined Lore background for us to truly evaluate.

As is, the Nightblade certainly has the most potential given they know two of the rarest forms of magic in existence - blood and shadow magic. All the others are just random mages by their abilities without anything to elevate them above the rest without some additional background given.
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblades
    Honestly Dks. Nightblades are just my favorite and the only class I play so I voted for them but honestly they haven't been good since elswyer
    Edited by boi_anachronism_ on August 31, 2022 2:08PM
  • Hlaaluna
    Hlaaluna
    ✭✭✭
    Necromancers
    Necromancer, because army of the dead. Well we don’t have an army but I can dream.
  • charley222
    charley222
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerers
    not sure why player vote dk , because in pvp sorc is able to wipe a bunch of player so quick with occule overload , also same in 1 vs 1 , sorc kill a lot faster
    the wall of the covenant
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblades
    Nightblades have both invisibility and teleportation (and have been mage-thief hybrids since ES:Arena). None of the other classes have anything quite as reality-altering.
  • LaerothKeykalyn
    LaerothKeykalyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerers
    Battlemage ;)dz1gacj56p54.jpg
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    charley222 wrote: »
    not sure why player vote dk , because in pvp sorc is able to wipe a bunch of player so quick with occule overload , also same in 1 vs 1 , sorc kill a lot faster

Sorcs OP, nerf sorcs!

It wasn't really a question about lore, it was a "who should we nerf" poll ;)
  • charley222
    charley222
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerers
    charley222 wrote: »

Sorcs OP, nerf sorcs!

It wasn't really a question about lore, it was a "who should we nerf" poll ;)

oh i miss this one , :o
    the wall of the covenant
  • GloatingSwine
    GloatingSwine
    ✭✭✭

As far as I'm aware it is Canon. I've heard the theory that some powerful wizard erases all what has happened in ESO but that sounds cheap and stupid. So, according to ZOS I believe it is canon.

Ah, the same wizard who erased spears...