The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Area style tutorial?

boi_anachronism_
boi_anachronism_
✭✭✭✭✭
Look I know this has been talked about a lot but as someone who runs vet content now and only started about 7 months ago I would like to impart my experience. *(A brief disclaimer* I am not suggesting we alter maelstrom or any current area for this purpose but that It could potentially be used as a model)

The single largest factor in me getting better as a player was running maelstrom area. First normal and then vet.

Why: it has a huge assortment of mechanics and rng that you have to learn and follow in order to progress. It teaches you about, using aoes, prioritizing enemies, shield mechanics, phase mechanics on and on. Being a solo area their is no one that can carry you either. Some of these mechanics still make appearances in new content. Mushrooms even made it in to dreadsail reef much to the ire of many folks 😂

But I digress.

Now the problem:

To clear vma I had to rely on outside guides, videos, tutorials and a lot of trial and error. An area like that could be an amazing teaching option for newer player if it had some sort of functional tutorial baked into it. These players don't tend to know to look for guides or resources and just get frustrated and leave.

A proposal:

What if we had an arena that was stages with various complex RNG and mechanics that had combat ques to guide you. Like maelstrom you could do them consecutively or leave and come back. Health of enemies should be high enough to force mechanics but damage of mechanics should be very forgiving to give players time to understand and figure it out. Just for the hell of it, have a quick interactive that shows folks how to turn on their skill, buff bars, and how numbers.

The first time I beat vet maelstrom it took a week of picking it up and putting it back down, I don't even remember my actual clear time. After the 5th run it took maybe an hour. My dps on a dummy was OK. But I was crap In content. Post maelstrom I started to get consistent damage in content without dying all the time, I could recognize mechanics, types of aoes, and could understand how to produce damage in mobile fights as well. There is an opportunity here that we are practically tripping over here and I'd love to see it utilized.
Edited by boi_anachronism_ on August 13, 2022 7:41PM
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look I know this has been talked about a lot but as someone who runs vet content now and only started about 7 months ago I would like to impart my experience. *(A brief disclaimer* I am not suggesting we alter maelstrom or any current area for this purpose but that It could potentially be used as a model)

The single largest factor in me getting better as a player was running maelstrom area. First normal and then vet.

Why: it has a huge assortment of mechanics and rng that you have to learn and follow in order to progress. It teaches you about, using aoes, prioritizing enemies, shield mechanics, phase mechanics on and on. Being a solo area their is no one that can carry you either. Some of these mechanics still make appearances in new content. Mushrooms even made it in to dreadsail reef much to the ire of many folks 😂

But I digress.

Now the problem:

To clear vma I had to rely on outside guides, videos, tutorials and a lot of trial and error. An area like that could be an amazing teaching option for newer player if it had some sort of functional tutorial baked into it. These players don't tend to know to look for guides or resources and just get frustrated and leave.

A proposal:

What if we had an arena that was stages with various complex RNG and mechanics that had combat ques to guide you. Like maelstrom you could do them consecutively or leave and come back. Health of enemies should be high enough to force mechanics but damage of mechanics should be very forgiving to give players time to understand and figure it out. Just for the hell of it, have a quick interactive that shows folks how to turn on their skill, buff bars, and how numbers.

The first time I beat vet maelstrom it took a week of picking it up and putting it back down, I don't even remember my actual clear time. After the 5th run it took maybe an hour. My dps on a dummy was OK. But I was crap In content. Post maelstrom I started to get consistent damage in content without dying all the time, I could recognize mechanics, types of aoes, and could understand how to produce damage in mobile fights as well. There is an opportunity here that we are practically tripping over here and I'd love to see it utilized.

Arena, maelstrom is an arena.
    Doing vma didn't increase my skill at all tbh.
    Edited by francesinhalover on August 14, 2022 2:55AM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But I digress.

Now the problem:

A proposal:

Arena, maelstrom is an arena.
    Doing vma didn't increase my skill at all tbh.

I think you missed the point..