The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.3 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

Custom Keybinds Limit?

Mayrael
Mayrael
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
@ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_GinaBruno

What is this? Do you really want to kill this game? We need addons for basic functions. There is more and more keybinds needed with every patch and you limit us with such thing?

This will be one of the biggest QoL downgrades ever.
Elder-Scrolls-Online-Screenshot-2022-08-10-12-33-28-29.jpg
Elder-Scrolls-Online-Screenshot-2022-08-10-12-33-20-22.jpg

Edit:
Why this is not mentioned anywhere?
Edited by Mayrael on August 10, 2022 10:41AM
Say no to Toxic Casuals!
I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is a downgrade. The UI is just showing what it always has been.
    Options
  • zsitvaij
    zsitvaij
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, they'll double the limit with ESO+ ;)
    Options
  • Runkorko
    Runkorko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    votan73 wrote: »
    I don't think it is a downgrade. The UI is just showing what it always has been.

This is a downgrade. On live I can bind as many keys as I want, but on my character's PTS copy I suddenly have a limit. I don't know if this is a bug or a deliberate action but I don't like it and sooner or later it will lead to very serious problems.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Options
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »

This is a downgrade. On live I can bind as many keys as I want, but on my character's PTS copy I suddenly have a limit. I don't know if this is a bug or a deliberate action but I don't like it and sooner or later it will lead to very serious problems.

Well, yes and no. On live you are able to bind as many keys as you want, but without addons some are not persisted arnd are lost on next login. And this would be seen as a bug. Now they limit you, so that you can not run to this "bug".
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, yes and no. On live you are able to bind as many keys as you want, but without addons some are not persisted arnd are lost on next login. And this would be seen as a bug. Now they limit you, so that you can not run to this "bug".

Oh then this is something new to me, thanks for clarifying this :)
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hey @Mayrael. Just want to follow up after chatting with the dev team regarding this. As @votan73 explained, this limit has always been how it worked. But since there wasn't a UI indicator explaining this, no one could actually see when they were running up against the limit, nor could they see why they were running up the limit so they couldn't figure out how to fix themselves, and it would just silently fail to save, appearing to be a keybind saving bug to most players. Now the UI outlines the limits and how to work with them.

Also, this does not limit the number of binds you can have, it limits the number of things you can rebind away from the default. As long as addons are properly using defaults with their bindings, and as long as you're not rebinding (including unbinding) 100+ default binds, there's no limit of how many bindings you can have beyond how many key combinations a keyboard has.

Happy to follow up if there are any questions as well. Thanks!
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • thejadefalcon
    thejadefalcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

Can you explain why this is a restriction at all? If I want to rebind my entire keyboard for whatever reason (such as a disability that may limit the standard WASD, which then would alter the surrounding keybindings as well), why is that a problem? Are keybinds stored on the server? If so, frankly, why? If they’re not, also why?

Is this a common issue people will run into? No, not really. But I also cannot imagine any possible situation this restriction is at all necessary.
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @thejadefalcon They are stored on the server to maintain a consistent experience regardless of which machine you use to play the game and in case of reinstalls.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @thejadefalcon They are stored on the server to maintain a consistent experience regardless of which machine you use to play the game and in case of reinstalls.

@ZOS_Kevin Interrogative, is it possible to talk to the devs about making keybinds account-wide, or adding an option to make them so?
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_Kevin Interrogative, is it possible to talk to the devs about making keybinds account-wide, or adding an option to make them so?

an option to do this would be great, its one of the reasons i dont like making new toons is that i have to redo keybinds/settings (like guild chat colors? those should definitely be acct wide)

this is more of a hassle than having to redo skill lines or whatnot in game
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • thejadefalcon
    thejadefalcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless something has changed since I last sorted my keybinds, we don’t even have a consistent experience across characters as there’s no account wide keybinding or chat colours without the assistance of addons.

A lot of PC players use addons, but those are stored locally and much more time intensive to set up or make changes across multiple PCs. An option to at least choose where keybind locations are stored seems more reasonable (please do not do the reverse and store addon data on servers). Or, if nothing else, just get rid of the limit.

Even if every player in the game had 200 custom keybinds (which is astronomically unlikely), it would hardly affect server performance. You load in the keybinds only when you log into the character anyway.

Changing this could only be a massive boon to the quality of life to those players who do take advantage of this.
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Just to follow up here, we’ll pass this feedback along to the team. However, currently the team has no intention of increasing or uncapping the limit at this time. They would like to reiterate the only change between live and PTS is that the UI now clearly indicates the keybind limit on PTS. The current limit always existed.
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much @ZOS_Kevin for explaining everything. Much appreciation!
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Mayrael. Just want to follow up after chatting with the dev team regarding this. As @votan73 explained, this limit has always been how it worked. But since there wasn't a UI indicator explaining this, no one could actually see when they were running up against the limit, nor could they see why they were running up the limit so they couldn't figure out how to fix themselves, and it would just silently fail to save, appearing to be a keybind saving bug to most players. Now the UI outlines the limits and how to work with them.

Also, this does not limit the number of binds you can have, it limits the number of things you can rebind away from the default. As long as addons are properly using defaults with their bindings, and as long as you're not rebinding (including unbinding) 100+ default binds, there's no limit of how many bindings you can have beyond how many key combinations a keyboard has.

@ZOS_Kevin

At first glance it seems that the change you are talking about is insignificant, however, this is not the case.

Until now I was able to "get around" the limit by using an addon that saved my keybindings locally (Votan Keybinder - @votan73 - is that you? O_O) on my computer reckoning that I might lose my settings. Now I don't have that option because the UI doesn't allow me to save a new keybind, and this is where it starts to get problematic.

Is it not possible, for example, to add some checkbox that would allow us to save settings beyond the limit locally? Or at least turn the limitation into information: "You have exceeded the custom keybinds limit, any changes will be saved locally and may be lost". And that's it. Not being able to change keybinds at all is a really poor solution.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

Options
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Could you please also rely to the dev team that it'd be better and provide an actually consistent experience if new characters would inherit the keybinds of others? (Make it the first in the list, or whatever.) Thank you. :)
    Every time I make a new character, I have to sit down for several minutes recreating my keybinds, and to check whether I haven't missed anything, and then recreate my guild chat colours, and then my camera positions, and then my social and combat settings... it's seriously annoying.
    Edited by Varana on August 11, 2022 9:54AM
    Options
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
    ... (Votan Keybinder - @votan73 - is that you? O_O) ...
    Yes :smile:
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@votan73 - Your addon changed my life (at least in game), it's awesome - Salute!
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

Options
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭

@votan73 - Your addon changed my life (at least in game), it's awesome - Salute!
    :blush: Thank You
    Edit:
    It was mentioned here: https://www.esoui.com/forums/showpost.php?p=46314&postcount=2
    Second sentence.
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

:blush: Thank You
    Edit:
    It was mentioned here: https://www.esoui.com/forums/showpost.php?p=46314&postcount=2
    Second sentence.

@votan73
    It's mostly the same as before..

Ok but it doesn't work like it used to. On top of that info about custom bindings limit it is now impossible to bind anything beyond that limit, even with your addon :/
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

Options
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
    [Ok but it doesn't work like it used to. On top of that info about custom bindings limit it is now impossible to bind anything beyond that limit, even with your addon :/
    Are you using 1.4.3 or 1.4.4?
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Ok but it doesn't work like it used to. On top of that info about custom bindings limit it is now impossible to bind anything beyond that limit, even with your addon :/
    Are you using 1.4.3 or 1.4.4?

@votan73

I was using 1.4.3 :) In version 1.4.4, everything works wonderfully :smiley: You are a true savior! Praise to you for your work in maintaining this addon. Many players with disabilities will surely appreciate the possibility of greater customization of the control layout... Besides you know after 8 years of playing in one setting it would be hard to switch to something else.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

Options
  • Amphithoe
    Amphithoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rework of the UI would be appreciated.
    Guildmaster: School of Julianos
    Options
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe instead of server side storage we can get a text file that stores all our key bindings, similar to User Settings that is located in documents folder. With this way no need for server side storage and players can still back up that file for reinstall or machine changes.
    Options
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just to follow up here, we’ll pass this feedback along to the team. However, currently the team has no intention of increasing or uncapping the limit at this time. They would like to reiterate the only change between live and PTS is that the UI now clearly indicates the keybind limit on PTS. The current limit always existed.

Any hope of ever getting the ability to remap buttons on console controllers. Or are we just stuck like chuck.

Stay safe :)
    Options
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How come I have 142/100 custom keybinds ? I had no idea it was restricted and been using it pretty much as I play with keypad (thus custom layout) and also with gamepad.

edit 137 now when I was messing around with it
    0sy6j6v3kdv6.png

Also. I've never had any warning before that I cant make a keybind because of restrictions ... and I've played since beta.
    Edited by daim on August 25, 2022 8:16PM
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daim wrote: »
    How come I have 142/100 custom keybinds ? I had no idea it was restricted and been using it pretty much as I play with keypad (thus custom layout) and also with gamepad.

edit 137 now when I was messing around with it
    0sy6j6v3kdv6.png

Also. I've never had any warning before that I cant make a keybind because of restrictions ... and I've played since beta.

as kevin noted earlier, the limit always existed but silently failed saving anything past 100

as for your total count, anything that is different from default (even a "not bound" or any addon keybinds) is counted against the bind limit as well as having multiple bindings (2nd, 3rd, 4th binds although i think the 3rd bind is the default controller setup and the 2nd binds are sometimes default alternatives)
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on August 25, 2022 8:47PM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh right missed that earlier.
    It kinda hit me if this might be somehow related with all the game crashes i started having a while ago. I still havent been able to pinpoint it but I started suspecting if it had something to do with keybinds as I get some internal ZO errors about keybinds that I havent seen before.
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
    Options