The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Losing 1000 points in a single ranked match- intentional???

LocoHotCocoa
LocoHotCocoa
Soul Shriven
So I have been slowly plugging away and climbing in score trying to make it on to the ranked leaderboard. Last night, I got up to spot 110 with 1603 points. I was within reach of cracking the leaderboard for the first time. It seems that I usually get somewhere between 0-150 points for a win, I haven't started tracking yet, but it feels like I usually get around 50 points per win, or minus around 100 for a loss. How is it that I lost 1000 points for a single loss?? This is completely crushing. It will take me dozens of wins and hours and hours of play time to get back to where I was.

Is this intentional? If yes, WHY? That is horribly imbalanced. My only thought is that because I was playing quite late on a weekday and had long queue times, I lost to an unranked player and was heavily docked... There really needs to be a max point gain/loss to keep things balanced. One match has cost me weeks of progress. I am not incentivized to continue playing at all.

Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this. Devs... if you see this please let me know if this is an intended or a bug. If it is as intended, I don't think I have any reason to continue playing.

The video linked here shows me checking my score at the end of my previous victory to see my updated score, then shows the game and updated score after my loss, in which I drop 1000 points
https://youtu.be/gu8MOgR54DY
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bodger, sorry for bothering you, i have already posted the similar discussion (maybe you would like to review Kai Schober's saying) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/612195/zenimax-please-explain-how-exactly-tot-rankings-work
    Edited by DinoZavr on July 22, 2022 7:26AM
    PC EU
  • LocoHotCocoa
    LocoHotCocoa
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks Dino, yours was the only post I saw talking about this but I still don't see an answer.

I'm glad to hear that they're listening and know it sucks to lose 1000 in a single game, but they didn't really answer if it's intentional or if/when we can expect a fix. I started tracking my results today. I lost between 40-160 points for a loss and gained between 80 and 308 for a win. These ranges are reasonable and allowed me to gain a lot of progress back toward where I was yesterday. There absolutely needs to be a max gain/loss. Hard stop. PLEASE put in score caps. I would also love to see the rank of my opponent when I play so I can know what to expect.

Do you happen to know if there is a thread for cards not working as intended? I have experienced issues with cards meant to remove 2 enemy agents not allowing the removal of 2 if one of them has a taunt.

Thanks again
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ty Bodger thank you for your kind words.

There is a Russian proverb "the first pancake is always spoiled" which means something like "the first time is always the hardest". In my understanding, Developers had no time to finish and perfect the product, because of the deadline.
    I strongly hope further they will refine ToT, given time and efforts.

As for killing the agents, we are in the same boat. I also posted a similar thread ( https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/609650/shadows-slumber-does-not-work-as-intended-for-me-should-i-fill-a-bug-report ) and our friend @Skvysh posted a great educational video (though i still don't get why i cannot kill 2 agents having enough power for that), but i have to mention: there is a bug when i was unable to kill the ONLY my opponents' agent using Celarus patron interaction for 4 gold.
    PC EU
  • Skvysh
    Skvysh
    ✭✭✭
    DinoZavr wrote: »
    ...posted a great educational video (though i still don't get why i cannot kill 2 agents having enough power for that)

It was more to showcase the possible scenarios with "Knock-Out 2" action. Whether it's a bug or not in that particular case (1 taunt 1 regular agent) - is unknown.
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ty Bodger wrote: »
    Thanks Dino, yours was the only post I saw talking about this but I still don't see an answer.

I'm glad to hear that they're listening and know it sucks to lose 1000 in a single game, but they didn't really answer if it's intentional or if/when we can expect a fix. I started tracking my results today. I lost between 40-160 points for a loss and gained between 80 and 308 for a win. These ranges are reasonable and allowed me to gain a lot of progress back toward where I was yesterday. There absolutely needs to be a max gain/loss. Hard stop. PLEASE put in score caps. I would also love to see the rank of my opponent when I play so I can know what to expect.

Do you happen to know if there is a thread for cards not working as intended? I have experienced issues with cards meant to remove 2 enemy agents not allowing the removal of 2 if one of them has a taunt.

Thanks again

To be honest I don't like this idea of losing points when losing a match at all. It gives a bad feeling.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ranked ToT seems to be extremely bugged. It's now more bugged than before. In the last two days I noticed the usually I don't get any points when I win a game to a player that decided to quit before the end. Also, there's a massive bug on matching players. Yesterday I was on top 100, but I lost a couple of games and dropped bellow the position 400. After that I noticed that even bellow 400 the game was matching me with players on top 10. And not one or two times, sometimes always with the same player. This is insane. So I was bellow 400, matched with a top 10 player, I kept losing and getting lower but systematically matched with the same player.

Seems like ToT was built by developers that never played anything on their live or even watch sports or something. I never saw anything so badly designed. On Elder Scrolls Legends when I drop from certain level, I'm not matched with higher level player until I reach a higher position. That's basic on all games but ToT. Also, on ESL I get points when I win to a player that resigned. They should try to learn something from ESL or just delete ToT and port ESL to ESO.
  • Ariadako
    Ariadako
    Soul Shriven
    I had the same issue and felt really bummed about it... I wasn't near the top but still, I took me ages to go up in ranking and for a single loss I ended up back to where I started, which I really didn't understand. Just like you I lost 1000 points in one go, even though before I only lost 100 points whenever I lost a game. I also received a reward like we're supposed to get when it's the end of the season, even though we were still in the middle of the season. I sent a ticket for that but never got an answer (didn't have anything more than my word to show for it though, didn't expect that I'd ever need to record a game to prove the issues I encounter).
  • LocoHotCocoa
    LocoHotCocoa
    Soul Shriven
    NeKryXe, I have noticed the same thing. Since my random 1000 point loss, I have been tracking who I play against and how many points I win or lose. Multiple times I have matched against the same person 5 times in a row. (fdstriper3, icequeen444, I'm sorry that must have been awful, luck was on myside). I almost think there should be a cool down to limit how often you can match with the same person. It worked out in my favour that I won several times back to back, but I'm sure if I had been losing, it would have made me miserable- that's not fun. More than once I have played 11 games between only 3 different opponents. Now, if I lose to someone twice in a row, I take a break and re queue later to save myself the heartache lol.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's impressive how badly designed this game is. It keeps happening. Once again, today, the dumb game keeps matching me over and over and over again with the same player. It's really insane. It's like playing the most broken beta game ever released.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeKryXe, I have noticed the same thing. Since my random 1000 point loss, I have been tracking who I play against and how many points I win or lose. Multiple times I have matched against the same person 5 times in a row. (fdstriper3, icequeen444, I'm sorry that must have been awful, luck was on myside). I almost think there should be a cool down to limit how often you can match with the same person. It worked out in my favour that I won several times back to back, but I'm sure if I had been losing, it would have made me miserable- that's not fun. More than once I have played 11 games between only 3 different opponents. Now, if I lose to someone twice in a row, I take a break and re queue later to save myself the heartache lol.

I'm starting to think that they design the game to systematically match the same players. Yesterday and today I've been matched way more than 10 times with the same player on top 10. Usually I wait 10 minutes to 30 minutes to try to avoid it, but it doesn't solve. I always get the same 2 or 3 players. At this point I'm bellow 2000 points and the game keeps matching me to the same player with more than 3600 points, exactly as when I was above 2000 points. So, clearly the ranked game is designed to group some players and keep them playing always with the same players. Basically it's an absolute trash when compared to ESL.